• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's your best 'that was dumb' moment involving your 5 ton?

71DeuceAK

As a new owner of an XLWB truck (M928A1) I guess this is something I need to become extra aware of...how loooonnnggg and aaawwwwkkkkwaaaarrdddddd they are...

71DeuceAK

Had a really good one today. (Well, three things actually).

Helping fellow member with their truck. (M923A2). Go to check fluids before trying to start for the first time in several months. Check fluids. Realize the past several times I've been doing this WRONG. Truck had historically had an overheating issue, turns out the idiot me thought the expansion tank was supposed to be less than full, when in reality it should be filled to the bottom of the fill tube. Needless to say, doesn't overheat anywhere near as badly.

While doing this, "Where's the cap?" We searched everywhere, even taking a flat bit shovel and a push broom and sifting through the snow on the asphalt driveway around the truck. By now we're mad at ourselves. I even climb under the truck and feel around the top of the axle and transmission. Climb up on the driver side, look, and presto, it's hanging behind the expansion tank between it and the firewall on it's little chain. D'OH! Always check the obvious things first!

Last time we had tried to start the truck, the heat wouldn't even melt ice on the dash. (In November, +10*F, Fairbanks, Alaska temps, mind you). Wonder why? Turns out I had forgotten the blower has an actual SWITCH on the dash, not just the dampers that have to be pulled out. Needless to it defrosted and warmed the cab just fine after that realization.

I have all the specs on these things memorized, but I still commit idiotic errors nevertheless.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a really good one today. (Well, three things actually).

Helping fellow member with their truck. (M923A2). Go to check fluids before trying to start for the first time in several months. Check fluids. Realize the past several times I've been doing this WRONG. Truck had historically had an overheating issue, turns out the idiot me thought the expansion tank was supposed to be less than full, when in reality it should be filled to the bottom of the fill tube. Needless to say, doesn't overheat anywhere near as badly.

While doing this, "Where's the cap?" We searched everywhere, even taking a flat bit shovel and a push broom and sifting through the snow on the asphalt driveway around the truck. By now we're mad at ourselves. I even climb under the truck and feel around the top of the axle and transmission. Climb up on the driver side, look, and presto, it's hanging behind the expansion tank between it and the firewall on it's little chain. D'OH! Always check the obvious things first!

Last time we had tried to start the truck, the heat wouldn't even melt ice on the dash. (In November, +10*F, Fairbanks, Alaska temps, mind you). Wonder why? Turns out I had forgotten the blower has an actual SWITCH on the dash, not just the dampers that have to be pulled out. Needless to it defrosted and warmed the cab just fine after that realization.

I have all the specs on these things memorized, but I still commit idiotic errors nevertheless.
It takes a REAL MAN to admit our foolish missteps.

Glad these things seem to have "happy endings" for you.

Thanks for sharing.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks