• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found the M1009 I want! NO TITLE. Shipping to AR. Not sure how to begin.

GMohler

Hello, I've been following this website a lot lately and it has helped me more than you can imagine! Thank you all first and foremost!
So, I've finally found the M1009 CUCV that I want. Low miles, No rust, runs great, looks great. The issues I'm trying to research now are how to obtain a title for the vehicle so that I may register, insure, and drive it. The owner has no paperwork. He did not fill out the sf-97 when he bought it. He told me he tried recently to get a title but Texas (where the vehicle is located) has many vehicle inspections, etc. Usually in Arkansas you can title just about anything you've bought, built, or added a motor and brake/head lights to. I am going to the DMV tomorrow to ask what to do also.
My second concern is how does a person go about obtaining a Bill of Sale upon the transaction of money? I can not be there in person to buy the vehicle or sign any forms. I will have to ship the truck here. I have never bought a vehicle in this way. The M1009's that I have been following I've learned about how and where to look by reading threads on this website. I've followed them in the classifieds, on eBay, on GuvPlanet, ArmsList, and many other sites. I did some searching of my own and found this one. The owner sure was surprised when I called and asked if he still had it and wanted to sell it! He's sent many videos and it runs great. It has one small dent! That's it. Compared to all the K5 Blazers I've seen, both M1009's and civilian models, this is too nice of a truck at a good buy to pass up.
ANY information would be helpful! I will of course ask at the DMV yet that answer might not be correct so I'm asking the experts before I buy it! I don't know how to purchase a vehicle from an individual and obtain the documents I need as I transfer the money.
Thank all of you for not letting me buy a regular Blazer K5! I have been looking for a long time and instead started searching for an M1009 because of this site. It will look amazing when I'm done with it! (If things work out).
Thanks again to any and all help, advice, criticisms, or even just a reply. Thanks guys! Greg.

DREDnot

Well...as far as a bill of sale from the guy, I'd google search "vehicle bill of sale forms" or similar. You can find one you like, or is recommended for either state, and copy or print a blank form and send it to the seller to fill out and send with the truck/driver. That is where I'd start.

Even a handwritten scrap of paper is better than nothing. Make sure it contains the year/make/model/vin, and sellers name/address/signature as a bare minimum.
Any paperwork/certificate of origin he has for it would be a plus
Notarized would be a plus

Last edited:

GMohler

Thanks DREDnot! I did print out a Bill of Sale from the Arkansas DMV for him. I never thought about getting it notarized though! Great idea!
I don't think it will be too much of a problem to license. I'm not sure if you've ever been to Arkansas but... well, it's different. I love it here though! I just can't wait to make this thing into the BEAST it was and will be! Great idea on the notary. I will tell the seller.
The issue that's concerning me most now is: How does one go about transferring or wiring or whatever method used to purchase the vehicle and at the same time obtain the Bill of Sale? I can't be there in person and this is not an auction. It's just some cool old guy who has a farm in Texas and happened to have a really nice M1009 on his farm. He didn't plan on selling it but was really nice about the surprise call and we have come to an agreed price. Now we both are just trying to figure out the financial and legal issues.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is for him to send you a photo if possible of the VIN number, or trust him to send it to you or give it to you over the phone. Not sure how the VIN plate is made on these but he may be able to lay a piece of paper over it and do the old use the side of the lead on a pencil to rub over the carefully held paper to get an impression of the VIN. He might also have paperwork from when he bought it that shows the VIN he could copy for you. Then send a postal money order or bank draft that has a notation that is in payment for truck serial #XXXXXX. If he cashes it he is obligated legally to provide a truck with said VIN. The cashed check or money order are a receipt and proof of payment but if all of that goes well his providing a bill of sale should be no problem as suggested elsewhere on this post. Also go with your gut feel from talking with him what kind of person he is. Happily the majority of folks are honest people.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just check with your dmv south Carolina bill of sale has to be a original form not printed or copied.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I've been following this website a lot lately and it has helped me more than you can imagine! Thank you all first and foremost!
So, I've finally found the M1009 CUCV that I want. Low miles, No rust, runs great, looks great. The issues I'm trying to research now are how to obtain a title for the vehicle so that I may register, insure, and drive it. The owner has no paperwork. He did not fill out the sf-97 when he bought it. He told me he tried recently to get a title but Texas (where the vehicle is located) has many vehicle inspections, etc. Usually in Arkansas you can title just about anything you've bought, built, or added a motor and brake/head lights to. I am going to the DMV tomorrow to ask what to do also.
My second concern is how does a person go about obtaining a Bill of Sale upon the transaction of money? I can not be there in person to buy the vehicle or sign any forms. I will have to ship the truck here. I have never bought a vehicle in this way. The M1009's that I have been following I've learned about how and where to look by reading threads on this website. I've followed them in the classifieds, on eBay, on GuvPlanet, ArmsList, and many other sites. I did some searching of my own and found this one. The owner sure was surprised when I called and asked if he still had it and wanted to sell it! He's sent many videos and it runs great. It has one small dent! That's it. Compared to all the K5 Blazers I've seen, both M1009's and civilian models, this is too nice of a truck at a good buy to pass up.
ANY information would be helpful! I will of course ask at the DMV yet that answer might not be correct so I'm asking the experts before I buy it! I don't know how to purchase a vehicle from an individual and obtain the documents I need as I transfer the money.
Thank all of you for not letting me buy a regular Blazer K5! I have been looking for a long time and instead started searching for an M1009 because of this site. It will look amazing when I'm done with it! (If things work out).
Thanks again to any and all help, advice, criticisms, or even just a reply. Thanks guys! Greg.
Texas allows bonded titles , if he can't get it titled in Texas that would be a big red flag on buying it . Offer to split the cost with him to title it before you buy it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps if you list the location you are buying it from, a member in the area could act as a quasi agent for you. No title gives me a little concern but I know that here in GA, titles are not required for vehicles 1985 and older. Another angle of reasearch, try to determine if it is a violation of TX law to sell said vehicle without a title. Any idea how long he has owned it? Might still be able to get the SF97. Any possibilty.of flood damage? That usually doesn't show up in pics.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would want to personally inspect vehicle before buying as well to make sure of no flood damage, no wrecks repaired, confirm overall condition.

It is sellers obligation to provide title. It is usually better to walk away if no title. If you must have this one buy it at a reduced price to offset the headache of obtaining a title with the mind set that it might not work out like you want. I would suggest using an escrow agent agreeable to both parties to handle the exchange of paperwork and money if you can't do it in person.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

GMohler

Thank you all so much for the information! I will look into using an escrow as well as state laws in TX and in AR.
The seller had no idea who I was. He didn't even have the truck for sale. I've been trying to find one and (without disclosing how I did this) I found one sitting out on a farm in north Texas. So, not much chance of water damage. The owner planned on keeping the truck and has many "Rat rods" and other projects as well.
He agreed to and did send me about 10 different videos of the truck both running as well as very detailed walk arounds, even videos of underneath the truck. I had been looking for one with little to no rust. There is not a spot of rust on this thing! Everything works and is all original. It is still 24v. The truck looks much better than most used trucks I see for sale. It has 63,000 original miles on it. He is willing to pay half the shipping and referred me to the vehicle shipping company he has used in the past. The truck has good enough tires on it to drive or store until Spring when I will then lift it and add new wheels and tires. At the price of $2750 and half shipping it seems like a fair deal to me. I think on the auctions I have been watching it would bring much more (If i had the title of course). I am heading to the DMV in just a few minutes to ask about the required paperwork and how to title it. After that, if all is well, I am then heading to my bank to ask them about the situation. I have never used an escrow; however, I will look into that as well. OH, I will also ask the seller if he has any paperwork from when he originally bought the truck. I believe he bought it a government auction and was supposed to file for the sf-97 and just never did thinking he would just use it on the farm.
Thank you again everybody for all the help and tips! Hopefully I won't have to make the drive to Texas but if that's absolutely necessary I'm also registering the Toyota Prious that I bought a few weeks ago because my Toyota Tundra guzzles gas. It is 18 years old and nothing has ever broken except a spark plug. Most of family drive Toyotas because of another family member who "helped" with this transition. Since the year 2000 when we all started buying Toyotas the repair bills on vehicles in the family almost stopped completely! I think the Prious is hideous looking but for the price once I drive it a few months with the money I'll save on gas, basically it's a free car. I do love building vehicles though! I'm trained to do body work and have restored several pickup trucks and muscle cars such as my 68 Ford Tudor Thunderbird with the 429 CobraJet, a 69 Camaro SS for a guy who needed it ready for an auto show, three 65 Chevy pickups, many others and I enjoy it. I've never worked on a diesel though! Nitro motors... thousands of them. This will be an exciting project if it works out.
I better get busy and find out how to get the thing here and if I even can register it. It's Arkansas so... probably so. My main concern now is the title and the transfer of funds... I will let you all know what happens!
Thanks again for everything! Greg.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I've bought many vehicles site unseen. Every time I've done it, I spent days/weeks holding my breath. I made out okay every time (thankfully). I will never ever do it again. If I ever buy another vehicle I'll make the time and make the drive to inspect it. From now on I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself in to.
$2750 for a M1009 including half of the shipping sounds very reasonable, almost too good to be true.
My advice, take it or leave it. Remove as many unknowns as possible. Load up a toolbox, food, water, clothes you don't mind getting dirty, cardboard, ratchet straps, antifreeze, 15w40, ATF, DOT 5. Borrow a 2500 or 3500 series truck (if you don't own anything substantial enough to tow), drive to TX and inspect the truck using everything you've learned from the forums. Confirm purchase, rent a UHAUL trailer on a one way haul, and bring it home yourself. The M1009 only weighs 5300 lbs.
Peace of mind is priceless. :)

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remembered something else. Never trust the odometer or the hour gauge on any military vehicle. Speedometers/odometers and hour gauges were swapped at will. If one broke in a truck, the motor pool replaced it with a known good used one.

Bighorn

Member Dao is talking about listing his m1009 tonight.
Maybe you would want that one instead since it has a title.
Check it out.

GMohler

Thanks ODfever! Those are all great ideas and good plans to stick to! The only problem now is the no title.
BTW, I talked to him today and he sent me a picture of his original bill of sale with VIN number and all info (Price was marked out) but I told him I talked to the DMV and so we spoke on the phone. Here I would have to apply for a bonded title by sending the bill of sale and bonded title application to the State Police in Little Rock. Then they decide if they will grant you one or not. If they do grant a bonded title then you have to take that to the DMV (after inspection by aforementioned Police) to the DMV to get your license, then you must go to your insurance agency and pay whatever bond price the State Police determine you should pay in order to have one. After all this if it goes through they will then mail you one. SO, since he still has the original bill of sale and the truck runs tomorrow or very soon he is going to go to the DMV and see if he can still get the title there. It turns out he has only had the truck less than a year. He parked it after pulling some logs with it on the farm and hadn't started it until the day he sent me all the videos of it. Hopefully he will still be able to obtain a title. If the Texas DMV says yes (I told him I would even pay the cost if any) and he has a title coming in the mail and proof of that as well then I will buy the truck and ship it along with a Bill of Sale we will both sign and he will send me the title in the mail when it arrives. Best case scenario. I've spoken to him a lot just BSing and also about military auctions. He was straight forward with me and told me what he paid at the auction and what he did to the truck. He said in total he has $2000 in it. He also has two Rat rods, a few other projects and just sold two Rat rods he built and gave me the number of the man who shipped them for him. The M1009 he has was a firetruck in Mississippi. He said it was full of trash when he got it and he had to do basic maintenance but that's about it. SO, Hopefully he can obtain an actual title so I don't have to go through all the bonded stuff and risk them saying no and be stuck with the truck. I do think for sure we will work something out. I bought a Toyota Prious last week to save on gas bc my truck gets about 18mpg. I am swamped busy but I titled the car today and insured it so it I can catch up on things I can drive down to Texas and check it out. I also talked to my bank and they recommended a cashiers check as payment in which he can call and verify it is good at the bank. I can drive the truck, Pay the man, set up shipping, and head back to wait on it. These things are of course pending whether or not he will be able to obtain a title or hopefully just get the right employee at the DMV who will register as an 84 Blazer and request the title. I'll find out in a day or two. I am leary or the bonded title because there is a risk involved of the State Police saying no. It is very tempting though because the truck is in the best shape I've seen one for the price. I won't elaborate because he said he also reads SteelSoldier threads from time to time. I hope it works out! If so I will soon be reading many more of the lift kit threads as well as considering the 6.5 Turbo and a soft top. It is Olive Drab around the door wells and the floor is not painted. The truck if painted red to be a firetruck. I will first make sure the drivetrain is where it should be and dependable before I even consider painting it. It's a pretty nice red though! HA. So I'll wait and see. I may take my chances on the bonded title if he can't get one.
Thanks for all the awesome info and suggestions! I do have a trailer and access to a larger truck (mine is a 2000 Tundra and would struggle) The only reason I would ship it is really just time! Pretty much everyday I am busy and shipping sounds more convenient than borrowing a truck and making the drive thus loosing two days of work and school. I hope it works out. If not I'll find another someday. Thanks everybody for the replies and for the site itself with so much information on these great American trucks!

Rvitko

I would have him get the title, I've lived in Texas my entire life, bought many old vehicles and even imported one from Canada, I had no undue trouble ever getting a title if it's legit. Generally you have to pass inspection first, it is mechanical only what was applicable in the year it was made, seat belts, wipers, lights, brakes. If there is any question about origin, he may have to meet with the local police detective and get a form verifying it is not stolen and meets us legal safety standards, I had to do that on my Canadian model, then to the DMV. I had a friend get badly screwed on a no title bronco, turned out the old owner got a title loan in AZ and they wanted there car back, he was out 2500 for nothing, no recourse original owner skipped the state and disappeared.

GMohler

Thanks for the reply. The owner is currently going trying to get the title for it. He has owned it for a few years now. They bought it at an (he and his cousin) at an auction at Ft. Hood. He sent me a copy of the original bill of sale and I also Carfaxed the VIN #. It's been since Monday that we last spoke. I've been meaning to ask him if he's had any luck getting the title. I had thought about taking my chances and getting a bonded title here but have decided against that. Mainly because I now would like to ship another vehicle from MI in which I never thought would happen. I found a 73 Plymouth Duster "Weed" green with a 440 in it with 500miles one motor. (Had the 6cyl but was restored.) So... basically I've realized today that in May I will be 42yrs old, graduating w my 2nd and 3rd BA's and will owe 58k to the Feds for student loans. The realization I've had is I am pretty much full speed ahead into a midlife crisis. Oh, and I bought a Toyota Prious too. So... yeah. My financial portfolio looks like Shtuff now. I'm screwed as far as retirement savings even though I have retired once already. My thinking (after being released from the hospital from dehydration bc I was working too hard wout enough food or water and they shoved an IV into the main artery in heart and brought my blood pressure back from 71/30 to normal) is: I have no bills, except phone and now much more in vehicle insurance and property taxes but I could die today. I don't want to, but, I've always wanted a muscle car and a Monster Truck and well... you get the idea. As far as student loans go what are they gonna do if I'm late on a payment? Send me a threatning letter and take my tax returns? Cool. Fine with me. I'm 41 and almost completely grey haired, always have been pretty responsible and such. Aside from those 20years or so give or take. So, I'm going to be cautious (I don't want to live in a tent and die in poverty), however, I'm pretty much alone. A couple of friends, one of which is in bad health and texted he was in the hospital again this morning. I'm not giving up. Instead I'm simply going all in. Ya only live once they say. I've also run out of garage space and driveway space so the friend in the hospital will be insured on any new projects (except the Plymouth) and is free do drive them for letting me store them there. I type this as I wait to get my cholesterol checked. Driving a Prious sucks by the way when an attractive woman or any cool vehicle pulls up next to you, but 50mpg.. that's worth it. Time is my only enemy. I may live to be 100. Some idiot in a Plymouth Duster could run into my Prious and kill me. I know I'm rambling... just my whole thoughts on the issue. That and it's almost deer season here in AR and still 90º and I have more things to do then time to do them
As a precaution I did; however, renew my passport. (Not a joke). Been in international logisitcs since Dec 27, 1999 and soon will have the Global Supply Chain Management crap to go with and a Mass Media Media Law and Ethics from back in 99 when I knew how horribly corrupt and controled it had become so I despise it. Our current import/export trade consists primarily of shipping our garbage to China who originally made it, makes more worthless crap, ships it back and we buy it, again. I could go on but the ole sawbones should be in any minute and I've got too much to do in too little time, plus must now head to visit my friend in the hospital. Trucks, cars, guns, nothing matters more than a person; especially your best friend or family member so, I doubt I'll even wash my primary truck until Spring at this point. If all goes well I'll be working on an M1009 build up and perhaps buying a dog. Life goals. (Girlfriends are pretty cool too). :)

Last edited:

Bighorn

There are two perfectly good M1009's with Titles right here, On Steel Soldiers, in the classified section.
I have bought vehicles without titles in California.
I even bought one titled to a dead guy.. in California.
Something about the M1009 without a title because "the guy never got around to it" strikes me as odd.
In fact, it sets my spidey sense tingling.
Why not just buy one without baggage?

GMohler

That was the plan if I couldn't obtain it without a title. He contacted me earlier today and was able to get the sf-97. He said it will take about a week plus he has to have the inspection done. I mainly liked this one because of the No Rust and low miles (of course odemeters can be changed) So far he has supplied me with all supporting documents. I researched the VIN and things look good. So... we will soon find out for sure but things are looking up.
Also, I have looked at the ones in the classified section here. They are really nice! I've seen a whole lot of them lately and have followed many auctions as well. As far as I can tell the only thing wrong with one I'm hoping for is it was painted on the outside fire engine red. (It was a firetruck at one time) The original paint was Olive Drab and only the outside was painted so, an easy fix. It's located close to me so if I absolutely have to I'll go pick it up myself and the price is more than fair; although it went up 300 bucks because I offered to pay for the inspection in order to obtain a title before purchase. Unfortunately it will have to be stored and lightly used until I have the time this Spring to do more than just maintenance. That gives me time for more research on lifts, tire and wheel sizes, (I don't want to trim the fenders), possibly add a turbo from a 6.5 (not much research on that yet) and a soft top would be nice. This all of course will take money so between the time it arrives and the time I can spend on it at the shop I'll have the money saved and parts picked out. I plan on asking MANY more questions in the near future. I will, of course read the threads and research as much as possible first. Right now I've gotta pass a couple classes and actually acquire the vehicle. So, first things first I suppose. I wrote in an earlier post about needing a monster truck, another muscle car etc because "Ya never know". After my Drs appointment I went to visit a friend who simply texted me "back in hospital" only to find out he needs heart surgery. Perhaps I should check those classifieds again, he might want one too!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks