• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 S and M Build

gentrysgarage

4.28.18 Update

4.28.18 Update:

IMG_0912.jpgIMG_0911.jpg

Also shooting new video to be in it's own section on my channel (If I can figure it out) Tips, Techniques and Tools! I figured if the work on the M135 seems slow I will have these cool little fillers. The first one is Harbor Fright Spray Guns Buy or RUN and Vinegar Ain't Just for the Kitchen...

gentrysgarage

Ok, so I am thinking at this point it is a good time to get a weight slip as I have to turn the truck around for the next phase then we really get deep into this project!

What do you guys think, any thoughts/suggestions?

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I am thinking at this point it is a good time to get a weight slip as I have to turn the truck around for the next phase then we really get deep into this project!

What do you guys think, any thoughts/suggestions?
Your not going to get much out of me here in the peanut gallery. I am amazed at the ingenuity, planning, engineering that you and DUUANE have done on your projects. I totally enjoy the posts so keep it up. :naner:

gentrysgarage

Ooops forgot one 5.8.18 Update!

I thought I had updated this thread, but ....anyhow here it is:

Wanted to finish off the rear suspension last week, but of course there was a problem! I am a Little upset with WFO Offroad, they sent me the wrong spring plate! So I punted!

Temp fix

IMG_0989.jpg

(Yes I know the plate is rotated 90 degrees...I just wanted it in the picture!)

Do the top straps look familiar?

Hint...

IMG_0990.jpg

But now it ROLLS!!!

IMG_0991.jpgIMG_0992.jpg

Starting to formulate a plan on the dash..can you believe I am still looking for gauges?

IMG_0999.jpg

Most importantly a Stewart Warner black face 3 3/8" 5000 rpm tach...Got one laying around?

gentrysgarage

What to do on a drizzily day....

So what do you do on a drizzily Southern California day?

Why you dig your Cummins and parts out of deep dark COLD (well that's Southern California cold 56* BRRRRRR! LOL!) storage..is what!

IMG_1008.jpg

Anybody know a good injection shop?...I need to have my Marine 370s shimmed up from the VE pump pop pressure up to the P7100 injection pump pressure.

Well I'm kinda sad, I at the threshold of stopping work on the XM135 for awhile, as once I get the Cummins and trans in the truck, I have to stop working on it and switch to the Torino for a bit...:sad:

gentrysgarage

6.3.18 Update and Engine cramming video coming up!

Well it's been awhile...mostly sourcing bolts, engine nicknacks and THE DANG AIR COMPRESSOR BLOCK MOUNT...can you tell which one I haven't found yet. If anybody has a Ford hydaulic pump with gear for the 6BT...please sell it to me, I will install it in the meantime until I get the DANG AIR COMPRESSOR BLOCK MOUNT!!! LOL!

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg
The black mount is the original Freightliner mount that did have a TF 550 connected to it but it must have been an ugly bracket. The as cast was in a Ford retrofit kit but it is obviously (now that I bought it...grrrr) for a single cylinder compressor. The bottom bracket is the one that came off the TF 550 and clearly shows why Ford did an upgrade. The bracket on the compressor in the top photo has the bracket from the upgrade kit...REALLY beefy for a single cylinder compressor. Will probably have to make the block mount, only hang up is cutting the o-ring groove, any suggestions?

I will be shooting the Engine Swap Basics cramming 1,500 pounds into a 750 pound sack/ or how one piece of steel can't occupy the same place as another...the art of compromise and enGUMnuity! video 1.5 this weekend!

Some shots from this weekend...

IMG_1112.jpgIMG_1108.jpgIMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1120.jpgIMG_1122.jpg
Oh and and someone likes the intercooler..
IMG_1118.jpg
Or he's just being a little punk trying to rub my nose in the fact that he has a few more visits to the gym than me!!!! LOL!

PS Ben it's time to schedule that Hydromatic retrieval road trip!!!!!

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

6.15.18 Update

Sorry for the slow update, been chasing my tail looking for Cummins engine exterior parts and not even getting a anywhere.....my advice...if putting a Cummins in anything other than a pickup...don't bother if its not complete! You will waste countless time and MONEY! And to think I was in love with these motors at one time.......

Rant over, Can you guess what I am planning?
IMG_1164.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgIMG_1168.jpg

gentrysgarage

6.17.18 Update and Happy Father's Day!

Hoping the Dads had a Happy Father's Day...
So what did you guys do?
The kids and I shot a video we will be editing this week!
Cool Pic of the day

IMG_1172.jpg

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love your Cummins engine, hang in there you'll make it.[thumbzup]

Built a quicky roof on the deuce to try and keep the monsoon out. Rain-rain-rain. Thats what I did today between down poors. Looks like an out house.:grd:

gentrysgarage

Parts are rolling in again, got the Ford medium Duty rear mounts...I bought them for 2 reasons on to see the engine angle that Ford used (10 percent front rise) and 2 so I can use them as templates for the flywheel adapter mounting holes (they aren't quite metric or English spacing...strange) but looking at them they are quite robust I might just use them as is with just some isolators....nooooo don't give in to the Dark Side...make new ones you must! LOL!
IMG_2763.JPG
Another part that came in is the Chelsea 442 PTO for the Eaton is waiting for me at home now, which might or might not work one Eaton technical guide says both FS and FSO-6406 had 22* teeth one says 27* for the FSO only...which I wouldn't think is right to have just one trans of the same size a different angle. ARRGH!

I will probably start a new thread on auxiliary equipment and drive options (electric or hydraulic) with what I have laying around.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks