• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 S and M Build

gentrysgarage

Nothing big, cleaned up the bottom of the bogie mount, got a better design than splicing into the support gusset of the bogie mount so cutting it all away...It's hard grinding above your head let me tell you!

Got the gas tank off, was super clean till the rains came with only one small puncture repair on the top. With the rains we have had I think it is getting in at the float gasket. I am looking for a second set of tank mounts and straps for dual tanks.

Hopefully today I will have more progress on the rear suspension and get the rear brake plates repainted.

A fun thing for me I found my STAR!

Found my Star.jpg

gentrysgarage

First mock up!

IMG_0808.jpgIMG_0809.jpg

My driveway is so small the garage door hits the rear spring perch..more problems to overcome!

I did have help yesterday!

IMG_0797.jpgIMG_0803.jpg

First time adding weight the perches where 15 lbs front each, 15.5 lbs rear each so 61 lbs but minus 24lbs for the last of the lower bogie mount. So 37 lbs added, haven't weighed springs yet.......

Ah springs now that is a dilemma. The G506 springs I have the perches are 44.5 inches apart, the M105 spring perches are 42.5 between inside bolts (according to XM381.com) which would make the center to center of the perches 46.5 (the top spring perch mounting holes are 4 inches apart). The G506 springs also have smaller shackle pins. The front perch is not going to move anymore and I want to keep the upper dogbone and keep the rear axle in the stock location in case I get an M135 bed, so ..............I might have to have top springs made.
:-(

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

@7:45 on all 4s for the first time!

7:45pm
YeeeHawwww!

IMG_0821.jpg

I will take a better photo in morning, but it is sitting on it's springs! As long as the leaf blowers are quiet, I will shoot the final video for the singling operation Saturday morning and hopefully get it edited and published early next week with afterthoughts and reflections on how I would do it differently when I work on the G7123.

gentrysgarage

As promised 4.5.18

IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0827.jpgIMG_0826.jpg

Ordered the M105/M35 pins and shackles from Eastern Surplus.

The plan is video Saturday morning. Clean/paint brake backing plates. Sand and prime frame/axle cab back. Remove springs and drill rear spring mount to frame. Get Eastern Surplus order and install parts, install u bolts (leaving spring perches loose till transfer case is install in case I have to adjust pinion angle). Then........

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

New Video is OUT!!!

By the time you read this the upload will be done on my latest video!!! YEAH BABY!
https://youtu.be/2S6XkoXEJIU

Please LIKE the video and SUBSCRIBE to my channel .......More fun to come ​!

Thanks!

gentrysgarage

4.11.18 Got Order

Well Guyz,
Got my order from Dave and company at Eastern Surplus, they ran out of the NOS pins (I got the last 3) and called to comfirm if used would do, I asked that they pick the best they had, so they did. I should get the mounts plumbed, drilled and attached in the rear and tack weld the fronts (I am at the end of a 1924 power line and my electrical power is a bit dirty) till I can get them final welded. I will install the springs without the spring eye bushings and alot of grease and the short spring ubolts (need to order longer for the overload springs when I add them) and I will be able to safely roll this BEAST around!

IMG_0858.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a hat! They sent you a hat. If I get this t-shirt back in the mail you'll have some promotionals to wear on your next video.

Getting that episode up where you turn the key for the first start is a little closer. Excellent work.

gentrysgarage

We got problems, the Torino is getting jealous and feeling neglected!

Okay know strange and unexplained things happen everyday, probably more so at the 'Garage than elsewhere, but rarely do I have tangible evidence! I think the boss' Torino is getting jealous and feeling neglected! That's my own explanation check out these photos (regretablly I don't have an earlier one from the rear).
Previously I had the Torino within an inch of the wall to give the M135 breathing room...

IMG_2257.jpg

This morning the boss says did you move the Torino? Nope (cue Twilight Zone music here)

IMG_0861.jpg

Is it like this phenomenon?

Wandering-Rocks-Death-Valley-Stones.jpg

I don't know, but I am going with my gut and thinking she is jealous of the attention the M135 is getting!
What do you guys think?

You got a hat! They sent you a hat. If I get this t-shirt back in the mail you'll have some promotionals to wear on your next video.

Getting that episode up where you turn the key for the first start is a little closer. Excellent work.
Thanks Rusty, Merle, Plowboy and all, the support and nudges help keep the motivation going!

I made a template to help with the bed a spare tire carrier planning

m135 side11.jpg

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it, lot of planning and work. would like to see it when you get it done.

wish I still had my Gran Torino with the 429.

Merle

gentrysgarage

4.15.18 Update Finished removing overloads and started stripping.

IMG_0893.jpgIMG_0895.jpg
Like I said in the video I would be alot further along if I had just removed the rivets for the boogie mount and remade the plate...took out 24 rivets in less than 4 hours!
Lost some more weight
IMG_0889.jpgIMG_0885.jpg
Anybody need a spare tire mount assembly?
Well not stripping clothes but paint. Interestingly my truck's first layer of paint was the lighter earlier OD green. Then the sun went away and it might rain tomorrow...You can't trust the weather forecasters in LA..they say always sunny by default..it is 98% of the time...so they don't bother changing the forecast!!! All I could do is wrap it up in a tarp and call it a night...still a decent weekends worth of work.
IMG_0886.jpg
I took this picture to show how I came up with the GIMP'D (not photoshopped) picture of my endgame. The numbers are for full bumperettes (12") a little over the "lawful" length if the parking enforcement forgets to disregard the extra length for a winch (still slightly shorter than a 2017 Ford F350 crewcab longbed...selective enforcement here) cut down bumperettes (10") to be 'legal' length...not worth the trouble. and 3" for just the d rings on the back crossmember. 15" for the spare tire carrier and guessed bed lip...couldn't remember exact lip when I was measuring. I am going to go with the full bumperettes and about 30" for the crewcab section. I will build bed and spare tire carrier first before modding the cab

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those photos are awesome. Any chance I can use the one where we can see the back of the cab? That should go in a museum.

You did a lot since I looked last and even I can smell the finish line, you must be happy.

Did you ever figure out what happened to the car? I'd be tying a big chain around it and locking it to the house.

gentrysgarage

Those photos are awesome. Any chance I can use the one where we can see the back of the cab? That should go in a museum.

If anyone can use anything I post or do...I am always glad to help and offer it all freely

You did a lot since I looked last and even I can smell the finish line, you must be happy.
Getting closer that's for sure! I got ALOT of shoehorning to do with the Cummins/Eaton, but I am not sweating as much as the rear suspension, once placed it dictated the whole build!...so I have alot less worry
Did you ever figure out what happened to the car? I'd be tying a big chain around it and locking it to the house.
No clue, it slowly moved almost 3 feet on its own since I got the M135 in the driveway, its moved on its own!

gentrysgarage

Almooosssssttttttt

Dangit Almost got primer on it!!!!

4.22.18.jpg

I still to this day wonder what bed this truck had they cut something off awhile ago .......did they make a bomb or wrecker 7 set for these trucks?

IMG_0898.jpg

Ground them smooth ..we don't need stress riser that lead to cracks now do we?

Just a little more inside the rails, around the rivets then one more pass underneath..I have to say the little harborfreight electric DA is the best tool I have gotten from there even if the hook part of the pad separated today and kept me from priming today!

gentrysgarage

Today was a good day!

Got lots of stuff today!
Got my new diesel tanks for the M135 today. I have to say this is the coolest delivery truck and driver! Thanks Again Russ!

wc-4 3.jpgwc-4 1.jpgwc-4 2.jpg

Also got the hanging pedals, I went with Ford F450/550 we will see how it works out!

IMG_0906.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0904.jpg

Tried to put these purchases on separate credit card billing cycles...but missed it by 2 days...if you don't here from me after 30 days send recovery vehicles ASAP as the BOSS has killed me and will be calling her favorite metal maggot to salvage my vehicles!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks