• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kawasaki M1030M1 Manuals

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not been able to locate any manual (s) for the M1030M1 motorcycle. Does anyone know any source for the manual ? Does any one even know the TM number/numbers ? I am certain there must have been one provided with the bikes especially since the diesel motor and controls are like nothing most mechanics have ever seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Bradyrw625

I couldn’t find any TMs for the B1. If any of you ever run across them, please let me know!
I couldn’t find any. As far as I know they were maintained by civilians. A regular klr650 service manual works. The wiring is a bit different as far as the black lights and switch are concerned.

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who were the contract civilians that maintained the M1 models that Bradyw625 refers to ? Where did they get the needed information to maintain the diesel motor in the M1 Model ? For example what are the valve clearances , torque values etc ? What are the recommended service intervals for oil change , valve adjustment etc. What is the recommended battery ( standard KLR 650 batteries do not have the CCA required ) . Any information would be appreciated.

Bradyrw625

Who were the contract civilians that maintained the M1 models that Bradyw625 refers to ? Where did they get the needed information to maintain the diesel motor in the M1 Model ? For example what are the valve clearances , torque values etc ? What are the recommended service intervals for oil change , valve adjustment etc. What is the recommended battery ( standard KLR 650 batteries do not have the CCA required ) . Any information would be appreciated.
The B1 and M1 are obviously different. Hayes Diversified Technology modified a civilian KLR to get the B1 and then modified those for the M1. They are currently out of business. That’s the risk with the diesel M1. Lack of parts, lack of TMs, etc.

M1KLR

Its one of those you learn as you go. Pray nothing breaks internally.

If it does, its a one off part. Head gasket and all.

Torquepen

View attachment Doc - 11 Aug 2019 - 18-54.pdf

Ok, here is a .PDF of Section 2 of the manual (yes, it does exist!). The link to download a bigger file size is at DieselBike.net’s page on the M1030M1 under the Production heading.
I only have Section 2 but you are welcome to it. It details the Starting procedure & how to bleed the fuel system of air plus standard motorcycle maintenance.

Enjoy! :p

Last edited:

desmodromic

View attachment 773578

Ok, here is a .PDF of Section 2 of the manual (yes, it does exist!). The link to download a bigger file size is at DieselBike.net’s page on the M1030M1 under the Production heading.
I only have Section 2 but you are welcome to it. It details the Starting procedure & how to bleed the fuel system of air plus standard motorcycle maintenance.

Enjoy! :p
Excellent timing! I just drained the tank and installed the correct Odyssey battery. I am about to fire up my M1030 for the first time.

Thanks Torquepen !

Torquepen

I would be interested to hear how it goes Desmodromic.
The manual states 5W40 engine oil but Fred Hayes recommended 5W 30 AMSoil.
The Manual gives an approximate level of half way up the sight glass. In my experience a level just below this could be about right? That’s how I received my bike anyway. I take no responsibility saying that either. Over filling will cause it to smoke grey.
I replaced most of the drip back piping with thicker walled stuff, except for that leading up to the injector itself. I also had to give the fuse box some attention as the wiring was a bit ratty with (in my view) too many connections in such a short link. The bike cut when the 25A fuse blew so I’m assuming that controls the fuel cutoff valve. Be quick on the clutch if that happens to you.
The bike bleeds to fuel system quickly with the bleed screw wound out.

diesel fan

I just purchased a m1030 m1 2000. From a local dealer. He has 2 more. It fried the fuel shut off solinoid. Does anyone know where I can get one ?
Thanks, Tim

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased a m1030 m1 2000. From a local dealer. He has 2 more. It fried the fuel shut off solinoid. Does anyone know where I can get one ?
Thanks, Tim
Welcome to Steel Soldiers

Post your part needed in the Parts Wanted Classified forum.

CasadeDanny

Excellent timing! I just drained the tank and installed the correct Odyssey battery. I am about to fire up my M1030 for the first time.

Thanks Torquepen !
What are some of the first things you did when you got the bike? I’m new to this whole thing and I’m working on the same diesel bike. Looks like it’s from ‘86. Any help or tips would be appreciated. There are some missing pieces and the wiring is a little bit crazy. I just took off the gas tank and there is a lil rust inside so it’s definitely been sitting for quite awhile.
Thanks!

diesel fan

What are some of the first things you did when you got the bike? I’m new to this whole thing and I’m working on the same diesel bike. Looks like it’s from ‘86. Any help or tips would be appreciated. There are some missing pieces and the wiring is a little bit crazy. I just took off the gas tank and there is a lil rust inside so it’s definitely been sitting for quite awhile.
Thanks!
I bought my M1030M1 from a dealer that have no idea what they was doing. In the process of getting it running they put a jumper wire from solid 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid. The power feed to that solenoid drops to 4-6 volts after about 5 seconds . I went though 2 solenoids before finding that out. It also damaged what I call the Diesel Control Module. Which has now died completely . It work off and on for awhile. I did get to put over 1000 miles on it. It's like nothing else you'll ride. The looks you get from other bikers and people in general when they hear it or smell the diesel exhaust. I've been driver light duty diesels since 1988. Suburbans, G-vans, a Jimmy and a VW golf. My mower is a John Deere diesel F940. I love diesels. I need to find a DCM for my bike. If you know of any parts or parts bikes, please let me know. Thanks,Tim! P.S. I hope your Kaw serves you well!

M1KLR

Thanks!
There shouldn't be this from 86 but I only know this particular M1. First things, replace all fluids, lines and filters. Also make sure you obtained a bike that started, not doesn't start. As at times you have a difficult part or a simple glow plug that needs replacing. What pieces are missing, I pray not the advance fueling unit.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to low sulfur fuel and corresponding lack of lubricity of the fuel, I always add Opti-Lube XPD diesel fuel additive to the fuel on my M1030M1. In my opinion, this is the best diesel fuel additive around for lubricity. Also, never use the compression release lever while starting the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks