• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV 2” hitch

xomegaiv

Not sure if anybody has done this. We needed to pull a normal (non-pintle hitch) trailer with our M1088 that we made into a flat bed so we came up with this hitch design. Just add a drop hitch and you are good to go. Anybody interested in one just let me know. Not sure if it would fit an LMTV though since we don’t have one to mock-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks real nice! Here’s a photo of the back of the M-1083. I bet those Pintles are the same across the FMTV/LMTV platform.

F06111D2-F84B-449B-A6DA-72D37EA3405F.jpg

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you able to use the original bolts to mount? Or did you have to source longer ones?

I am interested in one if you are making them. You can PM me cost info.

xomegaiv

Were you able to use the original bolts to mount? Or did you have to source longer ones?

I am interested in one if you are making them. You can PM me cost info.
The originals were used. But in case some models have different bolts it shouldn’t be hard to source new bolts for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckworthe

Looks good to me, nice and simple. Surprised there isn't a flurry of "can't weld to the frame" replies yet. Or did I just open that Pandora's box?

coachgeo

Looks good to me, nice and simple. Surprised there isn't a flurry of "can't weld to the frame" replies yet. Or did I just open that Pandora's box?
Didn't figure that piece it is welded to is considered part of the chassis.... Isn't it more of a rear beefy cross member to attach a pintle too more so than it is a part of the chassis?

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could test that piece with a file to see if it is heat treated before welding. That would be the biggest risk I guess of welding to it: annealing the steel and reducing strength? The frame rails are heat treated. I tried cutting a piece of frame with a portable band saw and it just ate the teeth off the blade.

crcarson26

Uploading OP's photos to the SS server for future reference and archiving...

View attachment 702152View attachment 702153View attachment 702154
This is the exact same direction I am going with my M1088. This is the first rig I've seen to go the flat-bed route on an M1088 chassis for hauling a vehicle. I am contemplating adding a hydraulic dump bed kit on mine to have a tilting ramp for driving my rock buggy onto.

If you have any more pics of this rig, please post them or send them my way!!

Cheers,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks