Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: First MUTT

Corporal
    Thanks

Almost forgot. This Mutt is showing her colors which I find unique as the original semi gloss OD is coming through then the MERDC, and finally what I believe is the 383 CARC green. I was kicking around a paint job however the history of service surfacing seems too awesome to cover. Thinking of just touching up the rust here and there and maybe new stencils. Would like to uncover some original unit markings however unmatched they may be for the bumpers and hoods were changed like underwear I'm sure haha. I'll post some pics of the paint.

Corporal
    Thanks

So after My compression testing I discovered two head gasket leaks and two exhaust leaks. Took head to local engine shop with literature pulled from TM's. Shop has been in business for 30+ years. The two lower mount bolts for the intake manifold were missing. Threads appeared to be shot. One hole shot on the exhaust manifold bolts and I snapped another. Just waiting for the head to return. In the mean time I am going to clean up the deck, Remove the radiator... speaking of the rad, the two lower mounting bolts have spun free not allowing the lock nuts to be removed easily so once it is removed it is being sent out for a refurb.

Corporal
    Thanks

It turns out I have an early style head on my engine. Thanks goes out to rickf and the members of G838 forum for helping me identify some parts. Not too sure what the key differences in the head are though?

Corporal
    Thanks

Well the head is done. Checked out great and had a valve job done. One of the exhaust valve boss's threads are jacked but the head itself is fine. Just need to thread a bolt through. Dropped the Rad off at a local shop to get cleaned up and I am in the process of ordering new gaskets, rubber mounts, Rad bolts, set of belts and other misc parts. Will post pics when I'm done with my shift.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,189 Times in 5,973 Posts

Late to the "party".

But all in:

- Subscribed
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

Corporal
    Thanks

Been awhile but the update is, the head is on with a new thermostat, belts, rad cleaned, hoses, and rubber fuel lines. Had to shorten the exhaust just fore of the rear suspension till I order a new pipe kit. No leaks found on the head. Cleaned up the spark plugs and I have been driving her back and forth to work with about 5 min of free way time. Next on the agenda is to pull the power pack as I suspect some of the rubber mounts need replaced. The exhaust is right on the corner of the oil drain plug which makes it a PITA to remove. Plus the power pack needs cleaned and repainted. New exhaust, batt floor will need some work, ball joints, and now shocks due to oil seeping from the rears. But she runs good and drives well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4