Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First MUTT

Corporal
    Thanks

Bent one inner bearing seal unfortunately. They are a bugger to get started right. All the new seals have the wear sleeves vs the existing ones. Have to replace the two rear bearings and races. Hopefully have her put back together by independence day. I would like to thank all of you who have, and are currently serving our country. God bless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Good progress, overall very clean looking M151, they are easy to work on and parts are readily available.
    SSG USA(RET)
    85-05
    12B Combat Engineer

Thanks

The radio is the RT-834 for a GRC-106 the Top (what you would need) is the AM-3349 it is a HF set a little rare to see in the back of a A1, wonder where the top half has gotten too.... Scott O&O

Corporal
    Thanks

Hello everyone. Been awhile. I have been cruising around in the MUTT driving back and forth to work and such and the old girl runs great! Leaks a little here and there but great. Going to tackle the exhaust this winter. Ended up removing the upper east of antennas so I could relax the springs while driving around town and not wack the comm drops. Transmission does grind when gearing down to 3rd. Not sure why. RPMs aren't high when down shifting. I will keep a look out for a AM-3349 to complete the radio set. My future project is to convert the set to an AM/FM radio for music while driving and mock radio chatter while on display. Any one else cruising their MUTTS around?

Thanks

I had thought about converting an old Army radio but when I found a pair of Bluetooth speakers that would fit in an old speaker shell I got I went with that idea. I use my old i-phone 5 to connect to them.

Here is a video I made to show my brothers.

Right now I have 1960's music but I will create a playlist of radio chatter.

Alan

Sergeant
    Thanks

Ok, I have an ant on my mutt, the ant sticks up 15', the wires going across the road should be at 18' here in SD(except maybe a driveway)the synchronizer may be worn, try this when shifting 2nd to 3rd go horizontal in neutral for a split second then move into 3rd gear.I never had to do this for downshifting 4th to 3rd.
    I have a RT524 in the mutt, took the guts out, put in a remote fm music radio in it.This is controlled by a remote hand held.The most I hit with ant is tree limbs hanging over the road
    The LS 454 speaker worked by the RT connection

Corporal
    Thanks

Nice! Appreciate the ideas for the radio. Not sure which route to go yet. Yes I believe 18' is the standard wire heigtht across the country however do to old standards, loose wire or leaning poles here in Ohio I hit some frequently haha. Double clutching seems to help third gear. I'm still going to flush it out and take the top off for inspection of damage soon.

Corporal
    Thanks

Just an update emerging from the thaw. Bought two correct batteries by DEKKA made in PA. Battery floor looks rough and will need replaced in the future. Cleaned up what I have and painted it for now. Re working the batt brackets with need rubber. Replaced the batt terminal lugs, and picked up new plug wires from RAPCO. Need to change the oil, and do a compression test as I found oil/carbon build up on the plugs. Pistons looked caked with crud as well. Going to be replaceing the rad hoses and flushing the system soon.

Any recommendations on coolant types, brands, and do I need additives at all?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast