• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auxiliary Hydraulic's Specs and which Pump they run off of?

Gringo

Can someone please tell me which Hydraulic Pump powers the "Auxiliary Hydraulics", the two lines/hoses on the drivers side?

I've been trying to find an excuse to justify buying one of these for a while and I may have found one if I can concoct a way to use one of these hoses to run/power a Submersible Trash Pump. I don't think the pump that powers the loader will run one (8 gpm) and I since I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulics in general I would really prefer not to start disconnecting lines from the Backhoe etc.... although its still a potential possibility.

I'm trying to pump the Silt, Sludge, and Muck out of/from the bottom of two ponds and it sure would be nice if I could hook a Hydraulic Submersible pump with a cutter head to the Backhoe bucket and then just plug one of the Auxiliary lines into the submersible pump to power it while using the backhoe controls to drag it across the bottom of the ponds.

I've been reading these threads for a while so something tells me it won't work, at least not like I imagined potentially possible above. Will one or more of you guys tell me the Auxiliary pump specs and the rest of the reasons why it wouldn't work. Then after first crushing my hopes with facts/reality, hopefully several of ya'll will chime in with some helpful suggestions about other options to get this done that I haven't even thought of yet etc...

Thanks in advance

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tool circuit is run by the rear pump, so there's some oomph available. How much, if any, it is choked down for the tools I don't know. There's enough to power a 1-inch version of the Stanley 3/4-inch impact the HMMH came with, but at the moment I don't even remember the flow rate or pressure of the rear system, let alone the requirements of that 1-inch impact.
Anyway, considering that the "official" FLU trash pump apparently runs fine off of the tool hoses, one with similar specs should, too.

One more thing to put on the before-winter list; I have not tried the trash pump yet. Better get to it before the end of the month, when they turn the irrigation ditch off.

Speedwoble

Better check that. I think the tool circuit is run off the last solenoid valve on the loader circuit. Hence it is run off the front pump.
Mine didn’t work(wiring issue), so I switched wires from the loader up/down to that solenoid to enable the tool circuit.

impulse787

Hydro Specs

Is run off the front Pump

Ask and you shall receive from the SEE GODS

Front (SEE)
Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Engine
Capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 gpm @ 2450 psi (30 Lpm @ 167bar) @ 2000 engine rpm
Use . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Front loader and machine tools

Rear (SEE)

Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .PTO
Capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 gpm @ 2450 psi (98 Lpm @ 167bar) @ 2000 engine rpm
Use . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Backhoe

Front (HMMH)
Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Engine
Capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 gpm @ 2450 psi (30 Lpm @ 167bar) @ 2000 engine rpm
Use . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Forklift and impact wrench

Rear (HMMH)

Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PTO
Capacity . . . . . . . . . . .. . 14 gpm @ 2450 psi (54 Lpm at 167 bar) @ 1100 engine rpm
Use . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Crane

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what do you have for a hydraulic driven trash pump?

I have a field of muck that we are excavating, leaving a pond, but I can only get a couple of feet deep. The whole area shakes when the excavator moves and a couple times I've wondered if the 929 was going to make it out.

I'm thinking of a more mechanical digger, something along the lines of a chain with paddles....something like a bark conveyor at a sawmill debarker. It would have to go to a belt conveyor from there.

I may help with some calculation once you give us some hydraulic motor specs.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what do you have for a hydraulic driven trash pump?
If you're asking me, the answer is "I don't know". It hasn't been out of the tool box yet, but I'd guess it's a Stanley since the other tools I've seen are.

But for draining ponds I'd get a cheap gas powered HF semi-trash pump. Bought a 2-inch version last year for pumping somewhat clear water and it has been impressive.
Even after being run dry on fuel after leaving it running for the evening, it always starts on the first or second pull.
While I like the idea of having the suction point movable with the backhoe, it would lose prime and not work as well as a submersible pump from that point of view.

Gringo

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies and info/answers.

I am still in the planning/pre-kinetic phase, but have it narrowed down to a few options.

the Excavator mounted hydraulic submersible pump I am considering is made by Eddy they make several sizes and I am looking at the smallest which is a 4 inch, and yes they can be rented as otherwise it is out of my league/budget. Technically it officially requires about 33gpm. http://eddypump.com/
http://eddypump.com/products/dredging-equipment/

Next is one of the Ram-Vac/Jet Trucks. There are several on the municipal auctions that claim and appear to still be in good working order in the $7k-12k price range. They heat up the water on board then spray it to help melt/loosen the muck up before finally vacuuming it up and or spraying it a long way in whatever direction you like.
this is just one of the brands/version http://www.ram-vac.com/new-equipment/c/full-size-excavator/hx9vacuumexcavator/

Finally, the most modest and cheapest route I've been considering is a PTO powered Trash Pump. Seems very simple and straight forward with very few moving parts, but also probably the slowest and least effective compared to the first two scenarios. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...MIy8fwjuPa1gIVHLXACh0xWwa2EAQYAiABEgLbufD_BwE

https://www.trunkpump.com/#products They also offer a hydraulic powered submersible but its only a 2 inch and I just don't think that would be up to the job at hand. However I had no idea any of the Unimogs/FLUU419's came with Trash Pumps and this makes me like them more. I could SEE using it to drain off a couple of the Draws on our place that hold water for days after big rains

Again, many thanks

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FLU Farm, Actually I was asking Gringo.

Is there a pump that comes with the Unimog?

Myself, I want more volume and there will be a high solids content if I do it by pump. I'm thinking fire truck. Or a completely mechanical method, like a chain conveyor.

But with the rear, I see you could pull about 30 Hp off of it, which would move the volume I thought he needed to move significant material.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I strongly suspected that your question was directed to Gringo.
There's a youtube video (can't remember the title, of course) about Unimog FLUs that briefly shows a pump used with an HME. Which makes sense if a trench needs to be soaked for compaction, or emptied before being covered back up.
My guess is that the pump was standard issue for the HME, as was a tool hose driven auger.

Your idea about using a conveyor belt type setup sounds very good for getting moist crap out. Might be less expensive to hire an unsuspecting septic pumper outfit than to wreck a fire truck's pump, though.

peakbagger

I used to have to manage pumping out 190 foot diameter clarifier that had mixture of waterlogged wood chips, lime mud and water in the bottom on yearly basis. We had to do it quick and used every technology we could including hydraulic pumps. They are great because the powerhead underwater is small relative to submersible pump the down side is they are not very efficient compared to an electric submersible. The other big plus is if electric submersible shorts out, people could get zapped, if hydraulic hose breaks its a PITA but unlikely to injure anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks