• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a 1997 M1078 LMTV.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We drove ours home to Nevada from Pennsylvania, in winter.

If I can give a bit of advice, check all hose clamps and the compressor support bracket as soon as you can get your hands on it.

I'm looking to get rid of my bed sides and troop seats if you are looking for some.. PM me.

Pointman

tow2gunner

OK - first problems - Inspection said "brakes were wet".I took off the wheel and brake drum - they were. Looks like gear oil(????). Cleaned them up, remounted everything. ran for a mile or so and when I got back, they were "wet again". Where the heck do I start? (I have MS - so changing the wheels is wearing me out!!) Is there anyone close that could help. (not looking for "free labor")? OR point me in the right direction to look. (I only have a tablet at home - and is a PITA to search the TM's on.. Computer at work..) Even recommend a shop close by.
Thanks

96m1083

Trnet enterprises maybe able to help you, they do alot of fab work on the bigger trucks, they are in elkton. Try and talk to Jeff or Dustin

Aernan

OK - first problems - Inspection said "brakes were wet".I took off the wheel and brake drum - they were. Looks like gear oil(????). Cleaned them up, remounted everything. ran for a mile or so and when I got back, they were "wet again". Where the heck do I start? (I have MS - so changing the wheels is wearing me out!!) Is there anyone close that could help. (not looking for "free labor")? OR point me in the right direction to look. (I only have a tablet at home - and is a PITA to search the TM's on.. Computer at work..) Even recommend a shop close by.
Thanks
There is oil in the wheel hubs. Use a 1/4 drive and open them. If not there then it's the differential. You need a seal kit if it's the hub or axle seal.

Your Diff vent hose may be plugged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tow2gunner

This beast is finally on the road and licensed in MD. Yay!!
From Ft Lewis , Wa to MD. Long journey.
2 seals, 2 u-joints, tie rod and bar (and the grill). And custom hitch
Spent under 2k$ for the parts and labor (not counting extra tires!!)
Drive almost every day to work ( 18-30 miles a day 3 days a week).

Thanks for all the help and advice from members , much appreciated...

Now, I just need a turret and .50 (or mk19).... Lol

Sgt/USMC 97LMTV

coachgeo

This beast is finally on the road and licensed in MD. Yay!!...

Sgt/USMC 97LMTV
while these photo's are not critical to be archived..... as you can see above they are actually links to tapatalk's website where the pics are stored. They are NOT stored here at Steel Soldiers web site. that means if it was a discussion about repair/maintenance or the likes; where the pics were important to understanding the discussion...... the post would eventually become useless because tapatalk will most assuredly stop hosting the pics. Every picture hosting site in the last 30+ years has shut down or gone to "pay for play" where they will NOT let anyone see the pics unless you pay a service fee.

In the future please actually put the pictures on this website where they will be archived for others to view as they read thru information on how to maintain/upgrade etc. their Military Vehicle.

btw.... you can use tapatalk like you did here..... then later go back and use the link they provided as a tool to upload the pics to this website. below is an example. I took the first photo link and used it to create the below
7fd3856bb3fde9c721369c73faad3c0a.jpg
thanks for posting and glad you got her up and driving. And as always thanks for your USMC service

Last edited:

rockDAWG

That's the daily driver..

Drive about 25miles/day
Went 2 full weeks, and put 28gal in tank.

I can live with that..

Sgt/USMC 97LMTV
Hello Tow2gunner,

Just found this thread. I am in Elkton too. Just about to get a M1078 myself after all this time dreaming about it. Love to hear from you about your experience in getting the rig registered in MD. Currently, with the COVID19 shutdown really does not help. I look forward to meeting other LMTV in MD. :)

Connor

coachgeo

Hello Tow2gunner,

Just found this thread. I am in Elkton too. Just about to get a M1078 myself after all this time dreaming about it. Love to hear from you about your experience in getting the rig registered in MD. Currently, with the COVID19 shutdown really does not help. I look forward to meeting other LMTV in MD. :)

Connor
you might try to PM or email towgunner... he has not been here since middle Feb.

rockDAWG

I think there might be a "Maryland Member" thread (for posting about get-togethers and that kind of thing).

My "gray matter" goes gray on me sometimes:

- but does that sound right to anybody?
Thanks for the heads up. I will look them up to see if anyone is still active with their FMTV. It will be cool that we can share knowledge, tools and skills with folks among us.

joshuak

Hello Tow2gunner,

Connor

Not sure if you've read the thread linked bellow or the status of said bill, but may want to look into it before purchasing.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/all-military-vehicles-banned-from-road-in-maryland.193109/

rockDAWG

Not sure if you've read the thread linked bellow or the status of said bill, but may want to look into it before purchasing.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/all-military-vehicles-banned-from-road-in-maryland.193109/
Yes, I read that. It is distrubing to say the least. But not sure how much teeth will this be. i will try to register in MD. If I can't I will just register in other States. There are States allow you to title and register without living in their State. It is pain but there are ways to get around it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks