• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slant back gas struts

04mustang

Hi,
I have what I hope is a quick question about gas struts used on the slant back hatch doors.

The parts that I have are supplemental armor, sponsons and hatch (I think). I say I think because I bought this as a kit from a gentleman that had a lot of hmmwv items and I know for a fact that the sponsons are supplemental (they are heavy as all get out). The cargo hatch is pre drilled for the TOW blast shields, so am I same to assume its supplemental as well?
My actual question is about which gas struts to purchase. I can get the supplemental armor struts from a vendor for $100 per side, or I can get the basic armor struts from epay for $50 per side.
Will it make much of a difference which ones I go with in my case?

Thank you,
Corey

BLK HMMWV

Do you plan on putting any gear on your hatch . like the netting. I'd go with the heavy ones if it was me. No difference in length just the amount of weight they will hold up and if you don't have much weight then you will just have to exert a bit more to close the hatch.
BH

BLK HMMWV

There is no hold open rod. The shocks hold it open in both directions. There are 2 springy canle things and a pull down strap you will want to have installed.
Ok Jason just because you don't have it doesn't mean they didn't make it.
I don't know the part # or what TM it's listed in but they made one. 86 humv might know. I got it from him.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hatch support rod.....Fig. 266 tm9-2320-387-24p
Its a safety item.

beckel

Are there multiple strut configurations on different models? I have a 1999 1045A2 that has only two gas struts. One on each side, both appear to be the same length. I just installed a Red Dot system with hatch mounted condenser so the hatch is heavy as h*ll now. Im not sure if I am missing the two smaller struts or if I need to upgrade to the supplemental armor long struts?

Or maybe both struts are actually part of the same assembly and without taking the assembly apart it appears to be one long strut?

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 4 gas shocks in the 4 tubes making 2 assemblies.
A real M104x series should have the suppl. shocks already.
I here new ones are cheap on fleebay.

beckel

That makes sense....thanks for the clarification. Does anyone happen to know how much lift "assist" properly working struts will provide? Again, I have the condenser mounted on the hatch but it takes 2 hands and crouching down for leverage to get this thing moving. Once the hatch moves up about 18" the struts help alot and they have no problem keeping the hatch open.

beckel

Going to answer my own question for anyone wondering about whether their gas struts are working. I went ahead and replaced my struts with new supplemental armor struts. It made a huge difference. Lifting the hatch with the condenser is now very easy. It can be done with a single hand now.

beckel

Opens fine in both directions. The Red Dot condensor is set up with enough slack in the refrigerant lines to open both directions without binding.

StrikeEagleNuke

IMG_4159.jpgIMG_4158.jpgIMG_4157.jpg
Just thought I'd help anyone out looking to replace these struts. I just installed new one on my M1045A2. Just took the car jack out of my old Crown Vic cruiser and used it to compress the shock. Very easy with only one person. At first I had no idea how I was going to get it done.

Hope this helps someone out!!

Gamble

View attachment 747583View attachment 747584View attachment 747585
Just thought I'd help anyone out looking to replace these struts. I just installed new one on my M1045A2. Just took the car jack out of my old Crown Vic cruiser and used it to compress the shock. Very easy with only one person. At first I had no idea how I was going to get it done.

Anyone have the length on these struts? Can they be replaced with civilian shocks?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 747583View attachment 747584View attachment 747585

this picture sends shivers down my spine….this is NOT how it’s done folks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks