• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 M211 2 speed transfer case mod

DUUANE

Well the new to me transfer case that was sent my way by GentrysGarage landed in the yard today.
Thanks for your effort in helping line it up and get it to the shipper.

What i had forgotten was that i had buried my engine hiost in the shop behind an M37 Cab i plan on doing some welding to this evening and had to find an alternative to get it out of the truck.
All worked out well ..the boys are coming by tomorrow so we can haul it into the shop for safe keeping.

Many, Many thanks.

Attachments

DUUANE

Bah..one emergency docking this week..and another next week..gonna seriously cut into my automotive fun.
Hopefully ill be able to get back to this in a couple of weeks.

DUUANE

If i could get ahold of a turbo core at a reasonable price i would consider playing with one. What i wont do is order a single part from cat..outrageous prices. Especially when the 3208 became obsolete in 1990. $750 for an overhaul manual and 3 weeks to "assemble" it. Pfft..its their corporate attitude of absolutely screwing a customer that wants to do their own repair work that killed their market share in on highway.
Every time..dollar for dollar I'm a detroit diesel guy. The exception is if youre moving dirt..even then it wouldnt be a cat.

rustystud

If i could get ahold of a turbo core at a reasonable price i would consider playing with one. What i wont do is order a single part from cat..outrageous prices. Especially when the 3208 became obsolete in 1990. $750 for an overhaul manual and 3 weeks to "assemble" it. Pfft..its their corporate attitude of absolutely screwing a customer that wants to do their own repair work that killed their market share in on highway.
Every time..dollar for dollar I'm a detroit diesel guy. The exception is if youre moving dirt..even then it wouldnt be a cat.
Yes CAT has always been expensive to buy and rebuild. It was like the "Cadillac" of engines, while the Detroit Diesel was the "Chevy" of the diesel world. Now I'm afraid CAT has lost all their street cred due to their stupid corporate attitude towards profit at all costs. Their C-9 engine basically brought them to bankruptcy due to it's horrible design flaws. We called it the "see through" engine at the transit department since it would blow out the case on both sides when the rods came loose !
I have a picture somewhere with my arm all the way through the block.

DUUANE

I'd love to see those pics. Every one of the majors had their share of lemmons. Even with the terrible horrible open-deck-what-were-they-thinking 8.2l fuel pincher at least the deroit people did their best to help you out of a bad situation.
They practically give me 2 stroke stuff when i need it. And part numbers and info.Just a great company to deal with.

rustystud

I'd love to see those pics. Every one of the majors had their share of lemmons. Even with the terrible horrible open-deck-what-were-they-thinking 8.2l fuel pincher at least the deroit people did their best to help you out of a bad situation.
They practically give me 2 stroke stuff when i need it. And part numbers and info.Just a great company to deal with.
I always thought Detroit Diesel should have tried harder to make their 2 stroke engines pass emissions . The 4 stroke units are OK, but you cannot get them to rev like the old 2 strokes could. Man you could make a truck "Fly" with that engine !
Though truth be told I've always been a "Cummins" guy. The old "KT" series making over 600HP back in the 1970's was a seriously crazy engine ! I replaced more twisted drivelines from that engine combo then I could count ! The M11 was also a great power house engine and very dependable. Also I love the IHC engines to. Not the newer "electronic" controlled units but the good old manual linkage units.

DUUANE

Yeah the KT/KTA's were monsters.. if i had to use a 4 stroke it would be a cummins..as long as i had enough hood! Hahaha. Years ago i had a Mack RS700L with the big..and i mean big V8..it was a brute. Unlimited torque but was sooo thirsty. Lately I've been dreaming a little of a p-pumped DT466 but i'm already stocked up with detroits so i doubt i'll get to one.

rustystud

Yeah the KT/KTA's were monsters.. if i had to use a 4 stroke it would be a cummins..as long as i had enough hood! Hahaha. Years ago i had a Mack RS700L with the big..and i mean big V8..it was a brute. Unlimited torque but was sooo thirsty. Lately I've been dreaming a little of a p-pumped DT466 but i'm already stocked up with detroits so i doubt i'll get to one.
I love the "older" DT466 engines. Made great power and gave good fuel economy.
By the way. Will I be making a trip up there anytime soon to retrieve a transmission ?
Just wondering.

DUUANE

Yes soon hopefully..i'm home on the island this week with the wife and attending my brothers 55th birthday tomorrow..i head home monday night with shop on my mind..ive sent a bunch of cars to scrap and done some yard cleanup so i am in a good position to start on the M135. I'll have to put the hurt on the wasps..its an annual battle with them. We will see what the week brings.

rustystud

Yes soon hopefully..i'm home on the island this week with the wife and attending my brothers 55th birthday tomorrow..i head home monday night with shop on my mind..ive sent a bunch of cars to scrap and done some yard cleanup so i am in a good position to start on the M135. I'll have to put the hurt on the wasps..its an annual battle with them. We will see what the week brings.
I know what you mean about the Wasps ! We get the ground Wasps here, and I drove over a nest two weeks ago. They where not happy with me and one got my right ear pretty good ! I drove over their nest several times after that ! Sucked them up into the mower blades !!!! Made me feel so much better !

DUUANE

I use brake kleen..i get nests almost twice the size of a basketball a couple times a year in sneaky locations..
One can in each hand and a couple spares near by..it takes them right out of the air dead as fried chicken and blocks the pherromone so you dont get every wasp in ten square miles trying to sting you and bite a chunk out at the same time..sounds like someone throwing a handfull of unpopped popcorn on the deck..very satisfying.

rustystud

I use brake kleen..i get nests almost twice the size of a basketball a couple times a year in sneaky locations..
One can in each hand and a couple spares near by..it takes them right out of the air dead as fried chicken and blocks the pherromone so you dont get every wasp in ten square miles trying to sting you and bite a chunk out at the same time..sounds like someone throwing a handfull of unpopped popcorn on the deck..very satisfying.
I'll have to try that next time !

DUUANE

The first 2 cans ..the one in your dominant hand should have the straw in it for range and to begin the assault. Hose down the hive. The second can no straw..wide spread for CQB to take out the enemy fliers that escaped the first strike.

Victory will be yours.

1944mb

Its amazing how they hit the ground dead with brake Kleen

DUUANE

Well heres the vacation update..popped my back the first day off moving a suspension crossmember so i could only manage to sweat blood and do light duty. Still managed to get some critical parts in and out but held off on taking the front clip off the 135. I'm almost to 90% now and back to work(got called back a week early) so i will chip away at things for the next week or 2 and report back.

DUUANE

Sorry you got nailed merle.. we have mud daubbers, bald headed hornets (huge and super agressive..one chased my 240lb linebacker son at a full sprint for a half a mile before it gave up) and some newly arrived ground dwelling black and white bumble bee's that when disturbed, the crazy agressive males will fly right in your face and sting you. Actually aim for your face..my friend Robyn got it right on his lower eyelid..said it was like someone whacked him with a baseball bat.

At least we dont have to deal with scorpions..they freak me out. When i get stung by a bee or wasp , the second the stinger touches me i hear a sound like a dry twig snapping..and i know instantly whats going on even before i get the pinch of the venom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks