• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 M211 2 speed transfer case mod

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried posting a few days back, wouldn't let me. Said add one character. Don't know what was going on.

The wasps are really out this year. They love building their nests in the Deuce and the tractor. Have to keep and eye out.

Merle

DUUANE

Well here we are..a paltry 6 months since the last post on my thread..time sure flies when the bosses expect you to actually work.
So i got the main (upper) rear output bearing off, the new preload adjusting ring on and the bearing reinstalled. I also found a cross for the seal. Its a little narrower than the OE one but all the critical dimensions are the same. There is enough room in the housing that you could put a second single lip seal in after it if so desired but i havnt bothered to search one yet( i will edit when i do find one).
The OE seal is GMC # 2276335 it crossed to Timken #410085 .
Hopefully the stars align and the rain stops long enough that i can get the nose of the deuce off and yank the power pak.
Cheers and happy new year everyone.

Attachments

rustystud

Well here we are..a paltry 6 months since the last post on my thread..time sure flies when the bosses expect you to actually work.
So i got the main (upper) rear output bearing off, the new preload adjusting ring on and the bearing reinstalled. I also found a cross for the seal. Its a little narrower than the OE one but all the critical dimensions are the same. There is enough room in the housing that you could put a second single lip seal in after it if so desired but i havnt bothered to search one yet( i will edit when i do find one).
The OE seal is GMC # 2276335 it crossed to Timken #410085 .
Hopefully the stars align and the rain stops long enough that i can get the nose of the deuce off and yank the power pak.
Cheers and happy new year everyone.
No such luck on the weather ! The forcasters say rain all this week and into the next one.

DUUANE

*Shakes his fist at the sky* ...i know..now theyre forecasting a week of -10 ..just as we get a bc ferry up on the blocks for an afterlife refit..
So tonight i got the output gear/shaft/bearing support back in. If you have to mess with the bearing preload ring like i did you have to install the rear bearing and preload ring in the rear support, tighten the adjustment bolts to holdt the preload ring in place, then slide the shaft in through the rear bearing and seat it. Then you can install the assembly in the case. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
So here are some pics of the gear engagements.
Sliding gear all the way to the left= high range
Middle position= neutral
All the way to the right= low range.
Nice smooth rotation and acceptable backlash in all ranges.
This part of the deal is done.
Next...make a relief in the new PTO cover that works with the new position of the low range gear. Then shift rod modification. I havnt decided if ill modify the existing rods or get new and scratch build. It will depend on the diameter i guess. If its a standard size then ill probably get new and keep the OE ones for those in need of stock parts.

Attachments

rustystud

;-)
*Shakes his fist at the sky* ...i know..now theyre forecasting a week of -10 ..just as we get a bc ferry up on the blocks for an afterlife refit..
So tonight i got the output gear/shaft/bearing support back in. If you have to mess with the bearing preload ring like i did you have to install the rear bearing and preload ring in the rear support, tighten the adjustment bolts to holdt the preload ring in place, then slide the shaft in through the rear bearing and seat it. Then you can install the assembly in the case. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
So here are some pics of the gear engagements.
Sliding gear all the way to the left= high range
Middle position= neutral
All the way to the right= low range.
Nice smooth rotation and acceptable backlash in all ranges.
This part of the deal is done.
Next...make a relief in the new PTO cover that works with the new position of the low range gear. Then shift rod modification. I havnt decided if ill modify the existing rods or get new and scratch build. It will depend on the diameter i guess. If its a standard size then ill probably get new and keep the OE ones for those in need of stock parts.

Looking real good !
Your on the back stretch now ! Don't give up !
Especially as I want that old Hydra-Matic ! ;-)

DUUANE

Haha i know..its supposed to get super (relatively) cold and snow tomorrow..as soon as i can get in there ..im on it. Its next on the dockett..

rustystud

Haha i know..its supposed to get super (relatively) cold and snow tomorrow..as soon as i can get in there ..im on it. Its next on the dockett..
Yeah, where all going to get hit by this new Artic front coming down. That combined with that stupid swirling storm off the coast will make for some interesting weather this up-coming week !
My bet is on 12" of snow here.

Dan Boehmer

Hope your transfer case mod is coming along well. I just stumbled onto this thread and had some information that might be helpful. Tulsa Truck Manufacturing has done conversions of heavy commercial trucks to 6 x 6 since the late 60's. I have a copy of a ~ 1970 TTM parts manual for Ford trucks they converted to 6 x 6 using the drivetrain from an M211/M135. They used a Clark 285 5 speed transmission and converted the M211 transfer case to a two speed by using the PTO drive gear. Attached are some scans of a few pages in the manual showing the transfer case parts and parts list with the new solid PTO drive gear. TTM is still converting trucks in Tulsa today - Tulsa Truck Manufacturing (tulsatruckmfg.com)

Attachments

DUUANE

That is awesome! Thank you Santa! I'm jammed up for time so ive stalled out at modifying the shift fork and rods. Any and all additional info is extremely helpful. They asked us to work Christmas eve and Boxing day today 8-Z

DUUANE

Hi all.. So after much delay.. and some vaccinations..I'm back at it while I try and get the shop cleaned up enough that I have room to swing a cat. I took the front shifter rail support apart and it turns out the detent ball for the forward/reverse sprag rod was missing. Not a huge deal I guess. I fitted the high/low control rod, formerly the pto rod, with the fork reversed. It seems like I should be able to grind a hair less than 1/4" off the rear side of the fork and maybe 1/16th off the support in the case and I should be in the happy place for gear engagement with the new low range gear. The control rods should be able to be made from hardened and ground 3/4" round bar or 4140 or some other kind of smooth like butter round bar. there are no bushings in the case so the smoother the better.
Does anyone have a part number for the seals for the control rods?

Here are a couple of pics of the shift fork and case parts that need clearancing as well as the gear engagement at the unmodified stage.gear engagement.jpgshift fork.jpg

DUUANE

So for those that are following and those that find interest. Here are a couple of pics of the modified high/low formerly pto shift fork. I don't have fitment pics yet, It's been back to back projects at work the last month and a half so little time to play with my toys. Judging from the last pics I will have to pull the shafts out and clearance the boss that supports the rear of the shifter rod a bit. It looks like the boss for the bolt that secures the shift fork to the rod may not clear the boss. Option 2 is to change it out for an allen head fastener which I may do. Once that is resolved there may be additional relieving of the boss so that the gears have full engagement. It will also allow removal of some cast in sharp angles that look like pretty big stress risers to me. They will be replaced with a generous radius.
More as soon as I can get to it.

Attachments

rustystud

Hey "Duuane" we got home safe and sound today. The engine and transmission didn't move an inch !
For all you guys out there following Duuane's build, I just want to say he is a real "stand up" guy ! Met him in person today for the first time and he is a real gentlemen and mechanic !
I had bought Duuane's old engine and transmission out of his M135 and finally had a chance to get it after two and a half years. (COVID SUCKS !!!!)
He loaded up my truck and helped me strap it down too. In the pouring rain no less !!!!
Forget to take pictures because of that crappy rain !
He even offered to come down to the boarder crossing to help me with "customs" !
The boarder guards wanted to know how I found out about this engine unit and I mentioned "Steel Soldiers" . At first they thought it was some "para-military" organization until I showed them the web page on my phone. "Honest I said, we're just military vehicle collectors not a military group ! " Go look at the engine in the back of my truck. It came out of an Old truck !
They finally let me go when "Duuane" sent them a text message saying I bought the engine and transmission. What a pain in the butt !!!
So if any of you cross into Canada to get something for your truck don't mention Steel Soldiers on your way back into the US ! Not unless you can prove you bought it and it looks old !!! They might confuse you for some para-military terrorist or something !
It also helps if you are old and look it like me and walk hunched over !

Last edited:

DUUANE

Thats great, I'm glad you guys made it home safe and sound. And thanks for the kind words. It was really nice to meet the both of you.
Its too bad the weather was so chunky, i couldve given you the full tire kicker tour. As for the border..i have to appologise..i know better than that, you cant go either direction with anything without a recipt. Snow, rain, making sure your load was secure, and watching the clock for get to work blast off took over.
I did get one pic of my wifes bull moose (its another story) waiting patiently to load you up.

Hope to see you again soon. Drop in anytime your in the neighbourhood.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That WET coast is incredible for the 5 days a year it doesn't rain. It was actualy a dry year out West so just need to time visits between storms.

Wait a second.........Duane was able to get you through the border with just a text?

Hey Duane, I need some stuff brought up from Mexico. ......could you......uh.......make a call for me......? I'm just kidding but when I get a chance to go South again, I'm going to load up with MV gear and mention your name.

Is it still the same arrangement where U.S. border guards greet you going to the U.S. and CBS greet you coming in to Canada?

If so, this is what you hear when you arrive .........Well dare buddy good day to be traveling up nort eh. Ya Karen any conriband or dat dare moonshine you makin there in Tennessee? Whats your reason for comin to Canada........take off your sunglasses......do you have any weapons, do you have any weapons, DO YOU HAVE ANY WEAPONS ......could you take your hand out of your pocket.....TAKE YOUR HAND OUT OF YOU POCKET, stop resisting, STOP RESISTING, ...........Taser Taser Taser

The border guys were cool when I mentioned 51' to 56' GMC trucks and left the words, Army, Military and radiated gauge packages out of the conversation.

1944MB had some grief at the border after I loaded him with a pile of green but.......I'd hope....the border is the place where things illegal are not allowed to cross......any border........even that two-speed South border.

rustystud

The Canadian guards were real nice. Asked me where I was going, did I have any weapons and did I plan on leaving anything in Canada. I did joke and say I had to go to the bathroom so I would be leaving something. The guard just smiled and passed us through.
Coming back the US guards were a real pain in the ass !!! No sense of humor at all !!!

DUUANE

Hey Duane, I need some stuff brought up from Mexico. ......could you......uh.......make a call for me......? I'm just kidding but when I get a chance to go South again, I'm going to load up with MV gear and mention your name.

Don't worry brother. I've got you covered. If I fly, even domestically, they swab my hands and boots and I get to walk through the transmogrifier in my socks. If I cross by land the first question is usually, "What are you here for this time?.." Generally everyone is pretty nice, usually just busting my balls for being on "The List" We are all old/new friends.

The way it should be;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks