• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Partial 12 volt conversion need M37 starter advise

majoseM37

I have a 1953 M37 that has been partially converted to a 12 volt system. It has a 12 volt alternator, coil and distributor. The starter went out, after removing it I discovered that it is a 6 volt. The starter solenoid is fender well mounted, the ignition is a push button on the dash. I want to replace the 6 volt starter with a 12 volt. All of the lighting has been converted to 12 volt as well. I have contacted a couple of vendors online but they don't have a starter that will work for me. I found this 12 volt starter on Ebay advertised for the 12 volt conversion. [FONT=&quot]It is a modified late model Nippon Denso Offset Gear Reduction Starter [/FONT][FONT=&quot]MCZ-4002UT[/FONT] Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

NAM VET

I don't know about alternative starters. But maybe a starter shop can somehow convert your present starter to 12 volts. There are any numbers of trucks converted from 24 to 12 volts, so inquiring with one of the major vendors or Charles T at M37 rebuild can offer a way out of your predicament.

NV

just me

12v on a 6v starter isn't a bad thing. I've been doing that on flathead Fords for decades. But 12v starters for flat 6's shouldn't be hard to come by. There were hundreds of applications for them for decades.
I have one in my 12V conversion. Got it from a REAL parts store.

mdainsd

Civilian Power Wagons like the B2 and W300 of the later years (57 to end of production in '72) use a drop in replacement that is a 12 V version. Foot start and all, if that is what you are looking for. There is also a version for key start, but while I
have the starters, I don't know exactly what the application is, my guess is industrial engines such as gen-sets.
Just doing something similar. A Dodge M615 (1967) ambulance fell into my lap, they use this 12V starter.

Ducttape

I converted my m37 to 12 and bought the 12volt mini starter you Skype of.

I have a 1953 M37 that has been partially converted to a 12 volt system. It has a 12 volt alternator, coil and distributor. The starter went out, after removing it I discovered that it is a 6 volt. The starter solenoid is fender well mounted, the ignition is a push button on the dash. I want to replace the 6 volt starter with a 12 volt. All of the lighting has been converted to 12 volt as well. I have contacted a couple of vendors online but they don't have a starter that will work for me. I found this 12 volt starter on Ebay advertised for the 12 volt conversion. It is a modified late model Nippon Denso Offset Gear Reduction Starter MCZ-4002UT Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated.
I’m running this 12 volt starter on my 1952 m37 . It’s awesome . A little expensive but worth every penny . That is if your running a 230LHead engine with a ring gear tooth count of 146. And m37 bellhousing . This starter is the answer to conversion to 12volt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks