• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 governed speed?

bajaman

Hi, I have a 86 m1008 it doesn't run more than 50 miles per hour, the rpm it's at maximum. Is it a control for this speed? Can it be removed?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Bajaman,

Welcome to SS, a few things that will help you. Only post in one of the forum locations. You have posted in 2 different threads the same question. People will get down on you for that.

The M1008 is geared for torque and not speed. If you have the standard tires the top speed is around 50-52 on these trucks. Not sure how you are reading RPM as they do not have an RPM gauge unless somebody installed one aftermarket. The only way around the speed limitation is to go with 37" tires and then the top speed is around 62-65 and you have to lift the truck to install these. You could change out the rear gears also but then you loose the torque.

Do a search on the M1008 in the search bar and you will get tons of information, most questions have already been answered but as somebody new to this forum it takes a bit to get familiar.

This is not your usual computer forum, most people are family so ask questions, be patient and look to help yourself to all the knowledge available by searching past posts.

Reactions: Zeb

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The only way around the speed limitation is to go with 37" tires and then the top speed is around 62-65 and you have to lift the truck to install these. You could change out the rear gears also but then you loose the torque.
Adding larger tires will also make you lose the torque. Other than tires and gears you can also change the transmission for another setup, or add an overdrive like a gearvendors unit as well. If your truck is stock you should be able to get more than 50mph out of it, I keep it under 60 in my trucks myself.

sneekyeye

Due to the non overdrive transmission without a lockup torque converter, and the 4.56 gears, the top speed is limited to 55mph stock on the m1008 and the like. The m1009 can go faster because of its different axles and gearing. You're pretty much stuck with it unless you change the transmission or add bigger tires or an overdrive like the other guy said.
You just can't be in too big of a hurry when you drive it or you'll overrev the engine and blow it. As far as I know there aren't any protections in place to prevent it.

cucvrus

How fast does Dude M1028A1 comfortably run with stock tires? Not to start anything or a debate. My family and friends have or had M1028's and I still have several. We run them 70 75 mph sometimes 80. Never blew one up yet. I have all stock and most of the trucks are now well over 100K miles. None of the trucks have ever been apart. Except for rear main seals. Once and done. I change the oil and maintain them well. I have a CUCVM1008 at work and it travels I 81 / I 83 and I 78 on a weekly basis. It uses a lot more fuel at high speed but I haul heavy skids of material and strap it to the floor and take off. New Jersey and New York are the destination at times. Loaded or empty. I hear cricket and katydids the whole time. GPS on the smart phone shows 73-75 most of the time. I always say it is ticket proof on the highway. That's my experience. I am sharing it only out of experience. No tachometer in any of them. I drove DUDE M1028 from PA to LA and back towing out and towing loaded back. Did it twice. About 12 MPG. God Luck. Don't go over 50 it has a bad injection pump, clogged filter or pick up sock. Something is wrong.

cucvrus

The first one I ever drove back in 1983 I was working at the Chevrolet dealer. I pulled out on a state highway and pulled over in a mile. I counted the shifts when I pulled out and it went o 3rd gear. I thought WOW. What hum these things had. I drove back to the shop and took the shop foreman for a ride and we thought the transmission was slipping. Then we figured out it was the 4:56 gears. That was a long time ago. I am so used to it now I don't notice. But everyone else that goes with me hates it and asks how I could drive this thing that far. I say yea I know. I do enjoy driving M1009's more then the M1028. used to be equally cool. But I'll take a Blazer any day over a pick up. Trailer on back and I am good to go. best of both worlds.

bajaman

Hello I have a question:
Does any one knows the part number for engine supports or mounting supports for a M1028?
Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click on HOME above. Then, choose the correct forum/category (e.g., CUCV). Then, click on the POST THREAD button on the right. Fill out a topic/thread title and start typing your message.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks