• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

F800 Crawler HaulerW/8.3L CTA Cummins

MiniMonster

F800 Crawler Hauler W/8.3L CTA Cummins

Hi guys, I know this is a military vehicle forum but I'm not finding much info on my 8.3L CTA Cummins anywhere else. And now that I have Axletech 4000 axles under it and a transfer case from a M939 it's at least part military.

Before pic, stock 11R22.5 tires. 15.5' flatbed

Front axle bolted in, only minor fitment required. Custom MRAP-Freightliner steering drag link.

Last edited:

MiniMonster

Front U-bolts are 3/4", rear are 7/8". Based on the size of the U-bolt plates on the axle and the stock U-bolts on the F800 3/4" is the stock diameter for both rigs. In the long run the front will get a link suspension and full air ride to match the rear.

MiniMonster

I'll just cover the basics of the build so far, anything you have questions about just ask.

Rear Axletech 4000 shaved and calipers clocked to the front to clear air bags.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/memb...-f800-picture65369-shaved-at4000-ready-go.jpg

Start of the 3"x4"x0.375" sub frame to lift the rear 4" to almost match the front end.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/memb...picture65385-air-ride-sub-frame-fabbed-up.jpg

Trimmed and tanked oil pan to clear the front pinion, after said pinion tried to eat the sump.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/memb...f800-picture65465-img-20170502-214044-104.jpg

MiniMonster

Questions on the engine are mainly about where to get upgrade parts and how much it can be turned up. I have parts for a two stage propane enrichment system, and plan on at least two stages of water injection soon. I've been looking at the HX50 turbo to replace my stock HX40.

The stock 9spd RoadRanger transmission (RT6609) will probably be swapped out for a RTO135013 at some point.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our site rules request you attach picture, not link them.

Your truck is not military, but since you added axles and transfercase, it is interesting enough I did not delete your thread immediately.

We really do not have a place for "monster trucks with military axles".

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe we need to create a "general" forum or something of the kind for these (rare) instances? Quite frankly, I find this project to be very interesting. I'm particularly interested in the disc brakes on these axles.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We do have one non military acceptable forum, its the Mess Hall.

You must be a paid, premium member to post there.

This site has a focus, and it is very important to stay on focus.

HETvet

Questions on the engine are mainly about where to get upgrade parts and how much it can be turned up. I have parts for a two stage propane enrichment system, and plan on at least two stages of water injection soon. I've been looking at the HX50 turbo to replace my stock HX40.

The stock 9spd RoadRanger transmission (RT6609) will probably be swapped out for a RTO135013 at some point.
Run propane if you hate your rods. You also have no need for the water injection.

Your stock pump should be a P-7100 pump. If it is, all the mods for the 5.9 12valve pumps will fit and can be done to your pump. If you really want to get crazy, industrial injection has a 14mm plunger complete pump; it will move more fuel that your truck will EVER use. The marine injectors can be directly swapped over. 450HP injectors is the highest power level you can go before you have to have custom injector nozzles built. Keep the stock HX40 and run the HX50 over it if you want more air. Then you could run the water/meth injection in between stages of charge. 4-5” exhaust should be used. A 50-75 shot of nitrous while the turbos are spooling up under load will clean up smoke. Don’t be scared of nitrous, it’s cant hurt a Diesel engine. It’s an air source. And you can’t run a diese to lean.

MiniMonster

Run propane if you hate your rods. You also have no need for the water injection.

Your stock pump should be a P-7100 pump. If it is, all the mods for the 5.9 12valve pumps will fit and can be done to your pump. If you really want to get crazy, industrial injection has a 14mm plunger complete pump; it will move more fuel that your truck will EVER use. The marine injectors can be directly swapped over. 450HP injectors is the highest power level you can go before you have to have custom injector nozzles built. Keep the stock HX40 and run the HX50 over it if you want more air. Then you could run the water/meth injection in between stages of charge. 4-5” exhaust should be used. A 50-75 shot of nitrous while the turbos are spooling up under load will clean up smoke. Don’t be scared of nitrous, it’s cant hurt a Diesel engine. It’s an air source. And you can’t run a diese to lean.
Well...... I work at a propane supply company, so propane is a must. Please explain how propane would damage rods more than low end nitrous? I'd like to stay away from the 444 HP injectors to avoid entirely killing my mileage. Filtered water is cheap and absorbs more BTUs than Methanol so I like the pure water approach. Since this is my tow I'm trying to keep the cost per smile down to a minimum. Compounds are definitely on the wish list, and 5" exhaust.

HETvet

Like it or not, pane is a fuel source. Over fueling is what kills Diesel engines. It shoots EGTs way up, increases cylinder pressures, and has the potential to combust uncontrollably (when injected via the air intake system). Nitrous is an oxidative. It’s chemical forced induction. You can run a diesel to lean. Don’t believe me? Look up “getto fogger Diesel” on you tube; 15 lb bottles being completely emptied in the the intake track per dyno pull. No damage what so ever.

Water is a hydraulic fluid. It dosent compress or combust. So again, cylinder pressure goes up. And, there are much better ways to handle heat control. If you were talking about a 1,500 hp engine, I could see a 50/50 mix of methanol and water. If marine applications of your engine can run under full load conditions at 40%-90% throttle for HOURS at a time and have no issues with combustion temperature, you should be fine.

I’ve said this more times than I care to admit; you can’t have both worlds. Your going to sacrifice something some where to have your toe rig get decent fuel economy and still be a crawler with a lot of horse power. Compounds and fuel upgrades is going to be your safest way to make power and get decent fuel economy.

Pick your battle. I modify and build Diesel engines and compound turbos for a living. And out of everyone I’ve talked to in this industry, I’m the most out side of the box/nontypical thinker.

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what happened with this? im interested since i have a set of axletech 4000s that id like to buy. wondering if i can fit them under my dodge 2500

MiniMonster

Thanks for the interest guys. The F800 spent most of the summer skidding logs out on my timber farm, bit unwieldy but it got the job done. Still lots of fab work to be done, but it earned it's keep. I'll post a couple pics soon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks