• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for MA-1A Huffer Cart Technical Manuals

Jericho

DONT MISUNDERSTAND . and do anything silly, but if you want to test the systems and light it off IF YOU ARE SURE you have positive oil pressure and have a bad switch , just wire around it with a shunt , provide the signal, it will likely fire up and if so your on two step 2 , EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN. make sure your shut down switch is good with a multi meter prior to start .If its running at loaded speed it is noisy !! I cant tell you how noisey but LOUD and it whines , you will say" DAMMM that's loud". when you initiate shut down it is like and instantanous lack of fuel , It will suddenly go PHEWWWWW as it rolls down in rpm you will hear an instant spool down begin, you should observe a decrease in operational gauged indications and see a little puff of fuel from the combustion drain. IF YOU DONT be on alert for a post shut down fire!!! , relax, the combustion cann runs hotter during ops than static with a cann fire ,BUT when it has no louvred cooling air , it can get hot, all you have to do is motor it over with no fuel , don't excede starter duty cycle unless your in deep kimchee, This provides a modicum of combustion cann cooling air and with the fuel off Disperses any flame or RAW fuel you may have stagnant in the cann. If you notice a rise in monitored EGT ( indicated pyrometer temp) small and slow to gain its likely EGT soak back, meaning the previously air cooled combustor has lost its source of cooling. and the inherient heat now rises incrementally as time passes until it peaks and slowly degrades. A combustion chamber fire results in a fast spike in Egt immediatly after shut down , some times its accompanied by a very Loud BOOM. and a possible flash of fire up the exhaust duct on shut down its almost always a malfunctioning Combustion drain or bad control/leaking fuel nozzle. Good luck , post some pics, My son is back in TX and will look for the guide!

Jericho

I use the term "EGT" Exhaust Gas temperature and "Pyrometer" Indicated Pyrometer Temperture universally , they are roughly the same The GTCP uses a pyrometer , not an EGT probe but its a basic alumel chromel , dissimilar metal temperature indicating circuit . In jet engines different engines tap temps at different stations , EGT TIT ITT , all the same in that its the selected temp probe point for temp indication, hope I didn't confuse you .

Guyfang

Staff member
I would just love to see this monster! I loved turbines. The sound, the feel, the power. I promise you, you are going to have fun!!

EGT probe= thermocouple?

Last edited:

Jericho

YES, thermocouple , in jet engines they tend to be of two different types Single pole and dipole or siamese on a T56 _15 turboshaft jet engine for example their used to measure TIT. Not anatomy but Turbine Inlet Temperture and they are dipole (two circuits) (Siamese) one is used for the cockpit ( shows my age , not politicly correct, New term is FLIGHT DECK OR STATION) but lol as I said cockpit gauge an the other feeds data to the Temperture Datum Ampliphier as a data point for fuel flow ratios ie power level (TLA throttle lever angle TT2

Jericho

If I were still in Germany id take you on a tour of a real JET ENGINE shop , I was the Flight Chief of the first all new Jet Engine overhaul facility it the entire USAF in 1992. Spangdahlem AB near Treir , about four miles from Bitburg. We completed overhauls and repairs to F 16 ,engines, two series, F4 Wild weasels , J79s, last F 4s in the active duty Air Force. F -15 s,F100 engine . We got a squadron when Bitburg closed and A-10 A Tf34 100A both ground attack and the search and recovery variant , turbo fan engines. as well we had the GTCP 36-50 APUs and all the ancillary equipment We had more then 240 jet engine trailers for example, not to mention all the test cells and hush houses . Afterburners , component repair sections and assembly, cleaning sections. Tooling, supply, and logistics and we were all JET ENGINE MECHANICS . 100k in fuel storage , 39 buildings/ storage sheds /bunkers/out buildings total to include hardend spare engine bunkers that could take a 2000 pounder hit. I say We for a reason, couldn't have done it all myself, When I was there I had 247 men and women under my leadership.I was, as the flight chief, also the wing Functional for all Jet Engine assignments Back shop and Flight line . they were fantastic to work with. at any given time We were in any number of countries , You ever get down that way stop in at the Public Affairs Office , explain your retired Army small gas type and ask to get a tour , we did them quite frequently

Guyfang

Staff member
Is it still open? So many things have been closed in the last 10-15 years. The base closure plan was in high speed. Now, there are rumblings about how we went too far. There is unbelievable amounts of gear parked around an air field I won't name, due to lack of storage facilities.

soconnoriv

DONT MISUNDERSTAND . and do anything silly, but if you want to test the systems and light it off IF YOU ARE SURE you have positive oil pressure and have a bad switch , just wire around it with a shunt , provide the signal, it will likely fire up and if so your on two step 2 , EMERGENCY SHUT DOWN. make sure your shut down switch is good with a multi meter prior to start .If its running at loaded speed it is noisy !! I cant tell you how noisey but LOUD and it whines , you will say" DAMMM that's loud". when you initiate shut down it is like and instantanous lack of fuel , It will suddenly go PHEWWWWW as it rolls down in rpm you will hear an instant spool down begin, you should observe a decrease in operational gauged indications and see a little puff of fuel from the combustion drain. IF YOU DONT be on alert for a post shut down fire!!! , relax, the combustion cann runs hotter during ops than static with a cann fire ,BUT when it has no louvred cooling air , it can get hot, all you have to do is motor it over with no fuel , don't excede starter duty cycle unless your in deep kimchee, This provides a modicum of combustion cann cooling air and with the fuel off Disperses any flame or RAW fuel you may have stagnant in the cann. If you notice a rise in monitored EGT ( indicated pyrometer temp) small and slow to gain its likely EGT soak back, meaning the previously air cooled combustor has lost its source of cooling. and the inherient heat now rises incrementally as time passes until it peaks and slowly degrades. A combustion chamber fire results in a fast spike in Egt immediatly after shut down , some times its accompanied by a very Loud BOOM. and a possible flash of fire up the exhaust duct on shut down its almost always a malfunctioning Combustion drain or bad control/leaking fuel nozzle. Good luck , post some pics, My son is back in TX and will look for the guide!
I topped off the oil today (with the correct kind) and fired it off. Thing lights off and started spooling right away. About a few seconds after, the fuel and start sequence shut off on me.

Took me a while to check the oil level, but it was almost empty!!! I just topped it off, and was confused where it all went! No leaks, no signs of it coming out of the exhaust. A few minutes went by until i happened to look into the cooling air duct that runs from the gearbox and vents into the combustion compartnent (other side of the firewall).The whole duct was filled with oil!!!

At first I had no idea how it was getting there. Kept looking around and found some sort of oil valve or manifold that looked like it was attached and draining into to the duct. I could see that a couple of oil lines were going to it. I can't read the label, and it's really hard to see, but I'm positive that's how the oil is getting into the duct. Have you ever seen this before?? I'd have to take the enclosure off of the cart just to get my hands on it. Pics below:

20171028_164909.jpg
20171028_165031.jpg
20171028_164935.jpg

Last edited:

maddog0196

Update on Tech Manual

Hi all,

I've had an MA-1A Huffer cart for a while now and I'm finally getting around to working on it. Only problem is that nobody on the Internet seems to know where there are Technical Manuals for it.

Anybody here familiar with these machines? My main problem is that there seems to be a stuck relay or a bad connection somewhere. I'm getting power from the batteries at various places/connections throughout the machine, but am not getting any power to the control panel. Looks like there is only one breaker for the entire machine from what I can see, and it's not popped.

Sounds awesome when I jump the starter motor and turn the engine over for a few seconds, but that's about all I can get it to do! What I really need is a wiring diagram!

Any help is appreciated!

Not mine, but here's what it looks like:

View attachment 704843

Thanks
-Steve
Have you had any luck with finding a manual for this yet?

Guyfang

Staff member
Couple of things I want to add. First, the two red lines. They are there to warn you that on startup, or running, should the compressor fan come apart, you do NOT want to be standing between the red lines, this is the "Exit" path of the fan blades, when they go south for the winter, (and they sure can!). So respect those lines.

The reason you have two EGT's, is so the ECU can take an "Average" temp reading. Should one set fail, the other set will continue to operate. That way the set will not shut down.

If the fuel nozzle should get covered in soot, to not clean it with a wire brush. Most wire brushes leave trace metals behind, and the nozzle can, overheat.

Would love to see what the burner can material is made of. Have never seen on this old. The burner can should also not be cleaned with a wire brush.

Garret makes fine turbines.

dave11222

Update on Tech Manual

I was an Aerospace Ground Equipment Technician (AGE) in the Air Force from '60 - 73. I retrained into Ground Radio after that. But during my stint in AGE, I was stationed at Ramey AFB, PR, and later when they closed Ramey they moved us to Keesler. We had , I think ,1 MA-1A. Nothing much ever went wrong with them. I mostly worked on MD-3A, We supported the Hurricane Hunters' WC-130s (B and then H models) What I remember...around 9% should be ignition, DO NOT close the exhaust with a bar hand after use!!! Take the hose off the output nozzle aim the elbow backwards and hit the load switch and you have propulsion!

Sorry I don't have a manual. I have worked on them, but like I said, they work quite well. I had to pull dailies for a bit. The MD-3A could be finicky. The MA-3 were a bear to troubleshoot. I enjoyed the inspection on a high pack air comp once. We had to hydrostatically test one for an eval. The TO called for you to fill the receiver with water and pump it up to 5000PSI, then take a hammer and beat on the seems looking for leaks. As a young troop was taken aback with that until one of the old timers explained that it wouldn't explode, only spurt!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks