• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275A2 DOA but now RUNS!

tommys2patrick

Thank you for your posts, pics and observations. Even if you have done something before its always good to get another perspective or reminder. seems like these projects tend to drag out over months if not years. so much info and history here it can be daunting to track it all down. like the pygmy eating the elephant.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires are neat. What size are they? I really like the proportions of the short wheelbase. I might have said that..once..or twice...

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires are neat. What size are they? I really like the proportions of the short wheelbase. I might have said that..once..or twice...
They are 12.00R20 Michelin XML’s. They are on M135 wheels, which are the same size wheels as stock on a Deuce but with 1-1/4” less backspacing.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Testing out my tire clearance on a bunny slope behind my house. I would say I don't have much clearance. It looks like I hit the mudflap holders at least, but didn't get any bad sounds from rubbing on the bed.

And then I grabbed 5th gear and killed it (was trying for 2nd):shock:

https://youtu.be/3b0OxEDg0Uc

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then I had to do a lap around the yard. There are two videos because of my missed gear (wife stopped recording when I killed it). She took another video after I fired it back up.

https://youtu.be/aHBB_sRAImQ
Beautiful!
Just a few more laps and you'll have your own backyard off-road trail ! Hope your bride is on board with THAT :whistle:

Lou e

Thank you for taking the time to document your progress, I learned a few things today because of it.

I really like the look of your truck, the double axle with the shirt bed and large tires looks really cool. Looking forward to your progress with it.

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance the CUCV will fit on the bed? Would love to see them both at Haspin!
I just took it for its first road test this morning. Just a few miles around the block. The good news is about halfway through the drive the turbo broke free and started whistling on me. The bad news is I don't have enough power to do more than about 35 miles per hour on flat ground.

I'm hoping it's something simple like the old fuel filters need to be changed and then bypass the FDC. It has a new air filter, and I did an oil change over the winter, but I haven't done the fuel filters yet. I really hope I don't have a bad turbo. IT IS SUPER SLOW!:shock:

If I don't get this sorted soon I'll just be bringing the CUCV to Haspin. I still have a chance, though!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, fresh filters, you might consider back blowing the fuel lines from the tank with compressed air with the filters off. Fuel will spray. Gunk might come flying out. A quick check of the copper fuel line that crosses under the radiator (sometimes it gets crushed) and then re-assess top speed!

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two of my brothers came over for a cookout today so we decided to take off the hard top and then tear up some more grass! I plan to just put a tarp over it for the summer and only drive when it's not raining. I have to do some reconditioning to the hardtop, anyway, to fix some rust.

I like the look! Will probably be tearing off the wooden sides on the flatbed as well whenever I get around to it.

IMG_1423.jpgIMG_1425.jpgIMG_1427.jpg

And my daughter makes an appearance in this video as she flies down the zipline. My brother is driving the truck.

https://youtu.be/h5YtBMtFSRE

Shrapnel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed all 3 fuel filters yesterday on my tractor. I also upsized my Airtex fuel pump line to 1/2" with a 1/2" pre-pump filter (I had 3/8" lines with a 3/8" prefilter on the pump originally). There was some junk in my pre-filter but the rest of the fuel filters had very little loadup and looked pretty good. I've driven it twice since then and picked up maybe 5mph on my stretch of test road. A step in the right direction.

I installed a cheap vacuum/boost gauge today and noticed a slight negative pressure at idle and then about 1.6 PSI of boost under full load. So, do I still have a fuel problem or do I have a turbo problem? From what I've read lately it seems that the turbo will make more boost if you send more fuel to the engine. Bypassing the FDC is free and should up my fuel. So, should I do a dose-response test here on the fuel side or just plan to replace the turbo?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you hit the fuel or turbo, check the throttle linkage and make sure that full throttle means the IP commands full fuel. Mis-adjusted linkage or even a bent pedal can cause the IP to never go wide open.

Even with the C-turbo you should get at least 7 psi of boost! My (brand new) D makes 15 plus if I accidentally let it. Ideally, you would have an exhaust gas temperature gauge installed and then bypass the FDC. If that does not give you the 7 PSI boost (procedure is in the TM) then it is time to turn up the fuel a bit more.

There are different schools of thought - one is to turn it up and drive consciously, staying out of danger EGT and boost territory but enjoying the power when you need it. The other is to follow the TM and adjust to a level where sustained pedal to the metal won't produce excessive EGT.

Your truck, your choice!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks