• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1980's gun trucks?

Csm Davis

Okay this has been batted around and I would like to hear and see 1980-1992 gun trucks. Were they armored? Were they called gun trucks? Yes we had all manner of vehicles that had gun mounts but I don't remember a single one that had added armor, this goes for jeeps though 5 tons. Love you younger guy's but we have lot's of stuff from OIF and newer, so strictly that year range please.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall a couple units getting their hands on a couple Quad's in the early 80s. They were officially retired from the National Guard 1981, but some stuck around. They were mounted in Deuces and 5 tons. Someone told me that their unit had a plan to put 2 Quad's in 1 one 5 ton bed, but only had one operational Quad as the other was used for parts

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

There was no need for gun trucks during that period. Where would they have been used? No where.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t have any pictures, however, if memory serves me correctly, there were improvised gun trucks used in (no particular order) Beirut Lebanon, Panama and Desert Shield/Desert Storm. They were also used by various “teams” that were running around various places where the local population resented our presence. One gun truck does come to mind, the Navy’s “rat patrol” trucks. Where, when and how they were used is probably classified “destroy before reading”. And no, I don’t have any knowledge of their operations. I hope this can better focus your search.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks