• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery Ground Cable

vandusen454

Adding a Main Disconnect to the Ground cable , Cable on the truck looks to be 3/0 or 4/0 Aluminum ? What's the Equivalent Copper wire size to replace this with ? Is the Aluminum ground wire what these trucks came with ??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What vehicle?

Need to post in the correct vehicle specific forum.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

No, they did not come with or ever use aluminum wire.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That little search box can be your friend now.
Put Deuce battery cables in there and see all the answers.

As a sidenote, many have welded with the Deuce batteries so I am sure there was no aluminum in their battery trays.

Starter at rated load is 500 amps at 24VDC. Is that like 12000 watts?
In a starter test configuration less than 5 feet of 0 AWG is used.
View attachment TM 9-2920-243-34 starter A3.pdf

It might not be the TM you need but see attached.

Or see the size of wire for the battery box TM which is 0 AWG, 30 strand copper wire.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I believe they are 2/0 from the factory. They are thicker than traditional civilian 2/0 because the sheath is really, really thick. When I re-batteried mine with civvy batteries, I feel pretty confident the factory cables said 2/0. I replaced them with civvy 2/0 welding cable without issue. When you look at them, they look like something crazy like 4/0.

I did this a year + ago and since then I have:

Started the truck in cold-for-the-South temperatures in the teens.
Slaved another truck that was totally dead. Really dead, 0V in the batteries.
Moved my truck just using the starter, with the truck in gear.

20150110_184025.jpg20150110_184032.jpg20150110_184117.jpg

At this point, I have stress tested the battery cables to a degree that I feel confident in saying the truck has lost none of it's reliability or "heavy duty-ness" with this changeover to civvy cables.

I have also powered a Warn 18,000 lb. 24V MRAP winch at the rear of the truck. About 15' of 2/0 welding cable. I have worked this winch extremely hard in testing to ensure it won't fail in the field (no one wants to be that guy in the woods with a dead winch). I have worked it so hard that I ran the voltmeter into the red with the engine running, drug my truck with locked up brakes, etc.

20150814_183840.jpg20150815_153245.jpg20160905_190939.jpg

On my truck, the battery disconnect breaks the ground circuit. You will need to break the ground circuit for the batteries and the slave cable: when I did mine initially, I left the slave port negative cable attached to the battery like it was from the factory. What I found was that the batteries were able to ground to chassis through the slave port where it's bolted to the cab. So my slave port and chassis ground strap go to the switch, then a short 2/0 cable connects the switch to the negative post on the rear battery. With the switch open (off), there is no path to ground for the batteries.

The winch switch interrupts the power wire, so there isn't 15' of live wire under the truck where you can't see it when driving. Imagine throwing a piece of debris up and severing the cable while it's hot.

20150110_184025.jpg20150110_184117.jpg20150110_184121.jpg20160905_190944.jpg20160905_190957.jpg20160905_191001.jpg20160905_191005.jpg

and yes, the labels are temporary. When I paint the truck, I have some other labels I have to create and reproduce. So I'll peel the tape and do something more professional.

I soldered the lugs on and I got everything HOT (torch!) in order to avoid the cold solder issue that Recovry4x4 and others had warned of. So far, no issues. I preheated the copper strands in the cable as I was heating the lug. You can usually tell when the cable is too cold, as you put it in the solder you've melted into the lug and it immediately solidifies. That's the cable absorbing all the heat.

vandusen454

Awesome Thanks ! I mounted my disconnect in a existing hole in the floor under the pass seat . I'll have to open the pass door to flip the switch on . My slave port is not hooked up , but looks brand new ? It must have been replaced and never hooked up ??

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome Thanks ! I mounted my disconnect in a existing hole in the floor under the pass seat . I'll have to open the pass door to flip the switch on . My slave port is not hooked up , but looks brand new ? It must have been replaced and never hooked up ??
The slave is a great feature & can really smooth things out in an emergency or inclement weather. Also, "Soldier 2" doesn't have to think as hard, to hook up jumpers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks