• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New engine for the V100 - inspired by OSMW

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you guys think? It's still mopar....

For the V100
Mopar 'Hellcrate' motor is 707 horsepower in a box
Fox News

(Mopar)
Mopar is now selling the ultimate way to resurrect your classic car.
For the first time, it’s offering the 707 hp supercharged V8 from the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat as a crate motor that it calls (surprise, surprise) “The Hellcrate.” Up until now, a Dodge Challenger or Charger was probably sacrificed for any custom Hellcat build you’ve seen.
There’s also an engine kit with a powertrain control module, wiring harnesses, oxygen sensors, an accelerator pedal and the other equipment that allow for “plug and play” installation. The motor costs $19,530, while the engine kit goes for $2,195.

A front end accessory drive is also available. (Mopar)
Keep in mind, the Hellcat is the second-most powerful American motor ever made, next to the Demon version of it.
Video

L1A1

Wonder what the difference is in foot pounds of torque between the Mopar crate engine & the OEM unit used in the V-100?

Wonder if that could be a problem for the V-100's T-case?

I'm reminded of back in the day when guys would shoe horn a V8 into the engine compartment of an MB or GPW and the increased torque of the V8 would kill the little T-case used in the jeep.

Not saying that would happen with the V-100, just wondering because the T-case on one is unique to the M706-nothing else uses it & replacements are (almost?) impossible to find.

Matt

Maple Leaf Eh

...Wonder what the difference is in foot pounds of torque between the Mopar crate engine & the OEM unit used in the V-100?
Wonder if that could be a problem for the V-100's T-case?

Dunno. I suspect the original transfer case can handle the load. It is four big gears sloshing around in a wet sump box. That alone has are some fundamental mechanical advantages. If it breaks, well yeah, you are on your own. But if so, I suspect a careful machinist will be able to replicate those gears.

That said .... we are only temporary caretakers of these precious artifacts. Yes you bought it and own it. But they're not making any more, and we are in this hobby to protect and preserve them. If you want to make a hot rod, the junk yard is full of candidates.

wgtactical

Dunno. I suspect the original transfer case can handle the load. It is four big gears sloshing around in a wet sump box. That alone has are some fundamental mechanical advantages. If it breaks, well yeah, you are on your own. But if so, I suspect a careful machinist will be able to replicate those gears.

That said .... we are only temporary caretakers of these precious artifacts. Yes you bought it and own it. But they're not making any more, and we are in this hobby to protect and preserve them. If you want to make a hot rod, the junk yard is full of candidates.
I am only aware of one person that is remanufacturing a v100 transfer case and he is on his third set of gears trying to get the proper backlash...the first set was too tight, the second was too loose but the proverbial third bowl of porridge seems to be juuuuust right. Fortunately for everyone else the transfer case isn't the weak link in the drivetrain, being of a sturdy design as you pointed out, but that hasn't kept me from hoarding a few incase I ever destroy one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks