• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with unit numbers on 1951 M37

70deuce

My wife found this 1951 M37 at a barn sale 4 miles from the house and convinced the owner to sell it to her for $800! Its a complete truck except for the bed racks and seats and is pretty much rust-free. The only body damage is a slight fold on the lower lip of the front left fender. Even better there was a government rebuilt transfer case dated 1977 still in its original shipping crate. The engine is out already, spun rod bearing but the rest of the engine seems in great shape. Can't read the mileage. Anyways, can someone help me with the unit numbers off the bumper and tell me where this truck might be from? The bumper numbers are 143GP-1E 143. The hood number is 2371894. The serial number is 80006330. The delivery date is 2/13/51. The contract number is 4478. The model # is T245. The stock number is 6795531. Any help with any info off these numbers would be appreciated.

Phil C

Attachments

gwalker

By the vin an delivery date its an early truck really early, also it appears in the pic to have the early cckw modified hardtop they are valuable. the number on the hood is the us armys registration number an stays w the vehicle its whole service never changes.T-245 is the engine model number its a 230cu in line 6 flathead.the contract # is just that the number of the us govt contract for those trucks, the stock number is maybe one assigned by someone who owned it after the army. the bumper markins are usually split some on each side of the bumper, how were those numbers placed. I agree w the others about 143 group 1engineers but the last number usually is the order of the truck in a convoy, an 143 is afuwl high i wouldnt think so many in a convoy so i was wondering about its placement on the bumper.

Boatcarpenter

Towbar attaching question. In the pic of the front of the M37, are the towbar adapters in the correct position or should they be flipped over? Recall a Bjorn thread that showed a busted one because of improper installation, but can't remember which was correct now.
Thanks,
BC

70deuce

Mike is right. The ends had to go on with the 3/4" socket as you see it. It was over kill with that tow bar. Only one we had at the time. Takes minimum of two people to jockey that heavy duty towbar around. And thanks to Nattieleather and qwalker for the responses on the M=37's unit and truck numbers. For qwalker I am going to look at the bumper again and let you know how the numbers are arraged. The high truck numbers aren't uncommon. My duece has my son's field artillery unit markings exactly as his deuces had it and my truck number is 801 (far left side of bumper). They started their dueuces at 800 and their 5 tons at 700. I'll let you know on the M-37's bumper.

Phil C

70deuce

For qwalker I checked the bumper numbers again. These numbers are on the right side of the bumper 143 GP-1E 143. On the left side are the truck number A-22. Does seem like alot of unit numbers. And yes it is the oval CCKW rear window.

Phil C

gwalker

OK then the truck was likley attached to A co. and was the 22nd in line for convoy. These markings can be sometimes a bit difficult to decipher depending on how they abbr. the info. 143 group an 1st engineers, dont know what the last 143 is for, maybe a battalion or squad, some smaller division of the unit

acetomatoco

Line # for convoy was usually chalked on right hand door... Convoy Group (serial) and vehicle within that group as in 3-21. The right hand number on the bumper was usually the sub unit and the vehicle # within its T0&E. C-1 would be the Company Commander's vehicle of C Company for example... HQ-10 would be Headquarters company and the 10th Vehicle in the roster for equipment allowed for the mission of the unit... Trailers such as T-6 might be towed by C-6 but usually not, just by virtue of use and not line #. My Deuce in Germany was marked 7A 502E FB 25 and towed bolster trailer 7A 502E T16. Seventh Army 502 Engineer Company (Float Bridge) At the end of each Company serial we put a 20 ton Garwood Crane, the M62 wrecker, and two M49 1200 gallon gas trucks... All of our M139 Bridge trucks had 6602 gassers and got 2 mpg..as did the cranes..Every hundred miles, a dump of 50 gallons into each truck would empty the two tankers and they would race ahead to the next fuel depot for refills while we had our yummy C rations on the side of the Autobahn...It is conceiveable from the initial posting that the First Engineer Battalion had 143 vehicles in its TOandE but usually they would have been subdivided into Company Sized units with Alpha dssignations.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: adapter position

Yes, Bc.

acetomatoco

The two hole adaptors were subject to breaking when the one inch set was used on large tows such as a 5 ton...leading to the inclusion of the two one hole sets in the towing and recovery set.

maxim

RE: reply to tow bar ends

Congradulations on the barn find. Tow bar hook up, $500..... unit numbers, $300...... wife who has a eye for green iron even when it is painted white, priceless........bless her. We have no idea what we have when she comes home and says, ' there's this army truck down the road......'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks