• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our first real outage with the 803A

NATCAD

That is some serious boom sauce to snap those utility poles like that low to the ground! Also surprised the generators did not walk. What are they powering exactly?

csheath

That aux tank does make a sweet setup on your trailer.

Howdy,
I don't know about that.
I have 5 tractors that are made to work. I have no problem running any tractor powering my PTO generator.

The again, the PTO generator is a 30KW and spins at 1800rpm.
I didn't mean to step on Haoleb's thread.

I agree, if you have a quality 1800 rpm PTO generator and a tractor with the right power to run it would be no problem. My tractor is too small to run the cheap 3600 rpm type. If I had a Daybreak's setup I wouldn't think twice about it.

I have a New Holland 575E backhoe I can use to clear downed trees with so tying up the tractor isn't a problem for me.

The 803A is a much better choice for me.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 831 for when I don't need to run AC. Works great to keep the lights, fridge, and well pump going on minimal fuel consumption.

Haoleb

Not 100% sure what those generators the utility co has are powering but I believe they are holing up the phone system.

As best I can tell the aux tank is 50 gallon and I put in a large fuel filter between the aux tank and the generator. The Aux fuel system worked perfectly and it is much easier to dump 5 gallon cans into the aux tank than trying to fill the generator tank.

Chainbreaker

Haoleb

On my way home today I drove through the area where I took the photos above. Still looks exactly the same. Some folks still off the grid on day 5. There was one thing that changed though. I noticed the honda generator the utility had there a couple days ago has been replaced with a newer looking generac. Hmmm.. Maybe it did end up growing legs after-all.

Be careful getting an AUX tank from a junkyard. The first one I got came off a reefer trailer and once I got the tank straps off there was bad enough corrosion in the aluminum that it had small holes in the tank. I took it back and they gave me the one I have now that came off a Volvo which was in much better shape.

Last edited:

Katahdin

Great setup! I especially like the auxiliary tank, I didn't know that was an option. I was affected by same outage just southeast of you in Scarborough. I just got my power back today - 5 days and four nights without power.

I've resisted the temptation to purchase a military generator, and opted for a 15KW PTO Generator off a 45hp Yanmar tractor instead. Its worked well for me, but I'm always interesting to see how others have weathered the storm.

My routine was to run the PTO generator mornings and evenings, it powered every circuit in the house. During the day I plugged my full-size refrigerator into a 3000 watt inverter in my M109A3. The inverter was powered by two golf cart batteries and dual 100 watt solar panels. During sleeping hours, the fridge was powered with a small 2000 watt inverter generator, which also topped off the golf cart batteries. My fuel consumption was about 5 gallons of diesel and a 1/2 gallon of gas per day.

Monday was a mess and work was called off. On Tuesday my wife's car was still stuck behind downed power lines, so she drove my jeep wrangler into work, and I did the 50 mile round-trip commute in my M275A2!

A lot of people still don't have power yet, and I've heard of several gasoline generators that have burned out, its good thing we have our low-rpm water-cooled diesels!

Last edited:

TheAlfredo

Irma knocked out my power for 9 days. Only had a 7.5kw big box store special to run the house. FEMA gave it to us after Huricane Wilma many years ago.

I was using 10gal of gas every day to run 2 refridgerators, tv and ceiling fans. And some lights at night. Voltage on the 7.5 was all over the place.

Cant wait to instal my 803

So a little over a year ago I picked up an 803A, Since then I only had to use it for one actual outage and that was only for an hour. But now this time it is no rehearsal. This is the real deal. Sunday night into Monday we had a storm come through. Heavy winds and rain. We lost power around 5AM Monday. No problem I roll the set out of the garage and plug it into my inlet. Just a week ago I installed a plug and sleeve receptacle and plug. Before I was wiring each wire into the terminal block and having to leave the connection box open.

Have not fired the set up since I was load banking it back in the spring. Fired right up no problem and we were back in business. The rest of the morning watched local news with the HDTV antenna since our cable,phone.. internet etc is down. I only got the antenna because I cancelled my cable tv service but kept the phone and internet. Well the cable co never came and installed a filter on my feed so I still get basic cable for free. At least until that went out. So that antenna is coming in really handy to get local broadcast in HD.

Ran the generator from 5am to 9pm Monday. Again on Tuesday. This morning I topped my AUX tank back up with my 5 gallon cans and only put 15 gallons in and it is more full than it was previously so I would say I used a little less than 15 gallons in 2 days.

Going on day 3 now. Some roads closed around me due to downed poles and lines down all over the place. But plenty of detours available to get where you need to go. No utility trucks in my area yet. Probably be at least another day or two I would expect. But not a problem.. I have been prepared for an extended outage just like this and it honestly has not even been much of a hassle. The generator has been starting right up in the morning no problem. I hit the preheat for 15 seconds or so since it is getting down into the 30's. My biggest problem is I am turning on as many things as possible to keep at least a light load on the set. I can get it to about 25% with every light going..small electric heater. dehumidifier.. etc. Up to 75% with the dryer running. No problems with the dryer running and my well pump kicking in. It bumps to 125%+ for a second then comes right back down.

At one point over 400,000 without power. The most outages from one storm in Maine history. I would hate to see it if the trees had not already shed most of their foliage or if we had an actual hurricane. Lost 3 pine trees that I can see just out back on my property. They just snapped right over. Luckily nothing near the house or vehicles. Some were not as fortunate.

Moral of the story. Be prepared! Lots of people do not even have a basic generator. Some people I work with have no power. no water (most folks are on well's) and I can imagine it really sucks. Very happy I made the investment to my backup power setup. I was not sure I would ever see an outage this long but here it is. Everyone else around me who has a generator has a little gasser screamer. One neighbor who is probably 250 yards away drowns out the 803 when they are running their little screamer. One other neighbor installed a built in setup running propane. I hear it running 24/7 when I shut mine down. I am sure that is going to get expensive real quick and very wasteful.

And of course.. worthless without pics right? Parked one of the vehicles sideways in front of the set so it cannot easily be seen from the road.. And blocks it in so it cannot be easily towed off when I am not home.

View attachment 706431

View attachment 706432
Where did you get that tank looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a little over a year ago I picked up an 803A, Since then I only had to use it for one actual outage and that was only for an hour. But now this time it is no rehearsal. This is the real deal. Sunday night into Monday we had a storm come through. Heavy winds and rain. We lost power around 5AM Monday. No problem I roll the set out of the garage and plug it into my inlet. Just a week ago I installed a plug and sleeve receptacle and plug. Before I was wiring each wire into the terminal block and having to leave the connection box open.

Have not fired the set up since I was load banking it back in the spring. Fired right up no problem and we were back in business. The rest of the morning watched local news with the HDTV antenna since our cable,phone.. internet etc is down. I only got the antenna because I cancelled my cable tv service but kept the phone and internet. Well the cable co never came and installed a filter on my feed so I still get basic cable for free. At least until that went out. So that antenna is coming in really handy to get local broadcast in HD.

Ran the generator from 5am to 9pm Monday. Again on Tuesday. This morning I topped my AUX tank back up with my 5 gallon cans and only put 15 gallons in and it is more full than it was previously so I would say I used a little less than 15 gallons in 2 days.

Going on day 3 now. Some roads closed around me due to downed poles and lines down all over the place. But plenty of detours available to get where you need to go. No utility trucks in my area yet. Probably be at least another day or two I would expect. But not a problem.. I have been prepared for an extended outage just like this and it honestly has not even been much of a hassle. The generator has been starting right up in the morning no problem. I hit the preheat for 15 seconds or so since it is getting down into the 30's. My biggest problem is I am turning on as many things as possible to keep at least a light load on the set. I can get it to about 25% with every light going..small electric heater. dehumidifier.. etc. Up to 75% with the dryer running. No problems with the dryer running and my well pump kicking in. It bumps to 125%+ for a second then comes right back down.

At one point over 400,000 without power. The most outages from one storm in Maine history. I would hate to see it if the trees had not already shed most of their foliage or if we had an actual hurricane. Lost 3 pine trees that I can see just out back on my property. They just snapped right over. Luckily nothing near the house or vehicles. Some were not as fortunate.

Moral of the story. Be prepared! Lots of people do not even have a basic generator. Some people I work with have no power. no water (most folks are on well's) and I can imagine it really sucks. Very happy I made the investment to my backup power setup. I was not sure I would ever see an outage this long but here it is. Everyone else around me who has a generator has a little gasser screamer. One neighbor who is probably 250 yards away drowns out the 803 when they are running their little screamer. One other neighbor installed a built in setup running propane. I hear it running 24/7 when I shut mine down. I am sure that is going to get expensive real quick and very wasteful.

And of course.. worthless without pics right? Parked one of the vehicles sideways in front of the set so it cannot easily be seen from the road.. And blocks it in so it cannot be easily towed off when I am not home.

View attachment 706431

View attachment 706432
Love that tank I’m going to copy that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks