• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire extinguisher recall of Kidde

CMPPhil

Hi All

It was just on the morning news that KIDDE is having a major recall on fire extinguishers dating back 70s. Just checked the shop and trucks an I have 3 of the larger units on the list.

Here is the link to the government website, the actual lis is on this site-

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/k...astic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

Print out the list and start checking your extinguishers

And the KIDDE recall site for the US https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/
Cheers Phil

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Already took care of all 5 of mine! Fairly quick and painless through the Kidde web site.

If it is a plastic topped Kidde it’s probably covered, no receipt, no need for date to be current, or any other BS required, just #’s off the extinguisher, don’t forget to print the last page with your reference number.

Now... just as long as the replacements really show up in 15-20 days!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check also if you have a plastic handle NAPA by balkamp as Kiddie made those for NAPA.

The list did not show NAPA or Balkamp ( their brand) but the kiddie model number on mine came up and in the corner of the label it does say made by kiddie

mine was a balkamp 770-7019 NAPA part number 2-1/2 ABC

Last edited:

dependable

I just went around house & vehicles and found 8 affected units, entered the numbers on the kidde recall web site. Had trouble with date code on a couple of older ones, which just had 4 digit year. Called them up and was told to enter three 0s plus last two digits. So 2002 would be 00002, etc.

Actually a pretty good deal, if they arrive as promised, as fire extinguishers that old are not considered that reliable. Funny how the years go by.

JDToumanian

I've never bought a plastic-handled fire extinguisher because I think of plastic as 'cheap' compared to metal and thought the plastic would degrade over time... Looks like my instincts were correct. But I have a lot of respect for a company that is recalling and replacing products that could be over 40 years old.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my first replacement today, as well as return shipping label for the recalled unit. Looks to be top quality, similar to all my big extinguishers! IMG_4346.jpg

DSVet

I've never bought a plastic-handled fire extinguisher because I think of plastic as 'cheap' compared to metal and thought the plastic would degrade over time... Looks like my instincts were correct. But I have a lot of respect for a company that is recalling and replacing products that could be over 40 years old.
Sad to say, but Kidde has smoke detectors that are recalled from time to time, too. When you and your families safety is at stake, you want to go first class all the way.

DSVet

I had a Kidde FE and they are sending a replacement. Most of my other extinguishers (dry chemical, CO2, water. etc.) are Amerex brand. Good quality and top of the line.

Quality of fire extinguishers by best to poorest:
1. Ansul
2. Amerex
3. Buckeye
4. Badger (owned by same owner as Kidde)
5. Kidde (Made in Mexico)

There are other extinguisher brands, but most likely they are made by one of the major manufacturers.

Big consideration is if they can be serviced locally. The manufacturers parts (seals, etc.) have to be from the manufacturer. I know of some rechargers that will not recharge plastic head extinguishers.

Best brand for price and able to get serviced is Ansul and Amerex. Fire extinguishers are a need, not a want. You will want a minimum of a 10 pound dry chemical for your house and garage. If you have people (women, etc.) in your house that cannot lift a ten pound, then a few five pound. I would stay away from 2 1/2 pound sizes. When the flames are licking the ceiling, you want a five or better yet, a ten pound size.

Also, extinguishers are not only for retrieving and going to fight a fire, but may have to be used to knock down a fire to escape.

dependable

Best price on pro grade ones I found was from a restaurant supply place, webstraunt.com or something, they sell Buckeyes mostly. Good to have variety of sizes so you don't have to empty a 10 pounder on a little welding fire. Also agree good to have some CO2 ones around. They are more expensive, but don't need to be serviced each time you use a little, also no mess.

As to the Kiddes in recall, which were mainly in odd rooms in house and vehicles, I have yet to receive my replacements. I called them about this and was told there was a delay due to the large volume of units reported.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made my claim the morning the recall made the news and this thread was started, and received all five of mine in less than two weeks, although it was one at a time/per day, and they are much better looking quality than the original units.

Hopefully the company survives long enough for everyone to get theirs. Even if only one quarter of the 20-50 million recalled, according to fake news are claimed + individual Fedex delivery + another Fedex home pickup for the old units= more money than we have fingers and toes.

DSVet

If you want to purchase Amerex brand fire extinguishers (FE), here are several online suppliers:

1. Security Fire Equipment Company at amerexfireextinguishers.com They offer steep discounts for quantity discounts, free shipping and no hazmat fees either.
2. Fireextinguisherdepot.com. They offer steep discounts for quantity purchases and no hazmat fees either, with a $75.00 minimum purchase.

These suppliers also have vehicle mounting brackets for sale, too.

If you order FE's online, most are shipped pressurized and are subject to HazMat charges. I have seen UPS charge $24.00 per extinguisher. If you can order quantity to receive the discounts and not have to pay shipping and HazMat fees, you will save a bundle. You could even ask family and friends if they want to order with you, so you can receive the quantity discounts. FE's are great gifts to give to family and friends that move into a new home or even to put in the trunk of their car.

FE's are a necessity. They are a fire protection asset and will pay dividends when you have to use them on a fire. Insurance does not cover everything.

I have recharged and sold FE's. Some people want to depend on the fire dept. If the local fire station is out on another fire or medical call, there will be a delayed response. If you live, work or even travel in a rural area, it takes time for the fire apparatus to respond to your fire. When a disaster strikes, such as a hurricane, tornado, etc. or minor event, such as a ice or snow storm, the Fire Dept. may not be able to respond.

Disasters are merely an inconvenience for those that are prepared for them.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Thanks guys for helping keep my fiance's family safe. I pointed this out to the them and sure enough, they have at least two of these that are part of the recall.

CMPPhil

Hi All

Just received three new extinguishers under the recall program, my claim was submitted Nov 3rd. So if you put in your claim around that time you should be seeing soon. If you have not put in a claim go back to the beginning of the this thread and put in your claim. The new extinguishers are visibly better made, apparently they don't want to do this again.

Cheers Phil

jbayer

I got this email today:
kidde_logo.png
Thank you for participating in Kidde’s fire extinguisher replacement program. Customer safety is our priority and we are pleased by the strong response to our recall announcement. However, due to high demand the most comparable replacement for your unit is backordered.
We regret any inconvenience this has caused and are working diligently to fulfill your order as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your patience.

I have five different ones

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks