• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA Convention (2018) - Louisville, KY

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do think that National, particularly David Doyle, have done a lot recently to include the "later" M-series vehicles in the MVPA, but it may be too late. An entrenched reputation is hard to shake.

Judging by the daily participation on SS, I'd say the interest is still here with the vehicles.
From the reactions and feedback at events we do, I'd say the younger generation definitely has the interest.
What most ask, and I don't really have an answer for them, is "What is the benefit of joining MVPA?" Political clout is no longer a valid argument, I doubt that any politician would find 5000 people spread across the country anything to be concerned about.

Price may have a lot to do with the current situation. GP's pricing policies brought my auction purchases, which used to be frequent, to a screeching halt (which may not be bad thing for me!).
Likewise, when I look at a lot of the for-sale ads these days, here and elsewhere, I have to wonder just how much of Saddam's gold got hidden in MVs and their accessories! I have to wonder what the difference is between the 12' NOS inter-vehicular cable I bought at the convention for $25, and the ones I see for sale in other individuals' ads?
I suppose my main point here is that most of the younger folk may not be fiscally able to get into what used to be a reasonably affordable hobby.

Cheers

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you and mkcoen have hit the nail squarely on the head!! Also (unfortunately) the VFWs, (at least here) are suffering the same fate. The WWII folks didn't want to accept the Vietnam Vets because that wasn't a "real war" and now the same with the present war Veterans.
The VFW I volunteer at in Beaumont, CA is mostly Vietnam veterans... they're in charge now!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Likewise Michael, so did you make an offer on the FC ambulance? I have lusted over the FC's for years but any of the ones I have found, were way too far gone or Bubbified badly. That one appears to be very straight.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to get off and go at the last minute and was even able to get a room at the host hotel. Here is a link to all the pictures I took. Missed seeing Dave. Didn't seem like there was many bargains to be had this year. https://1plant4u.smugmug.com/MVPA-2018-Convention
Likewise Michael, so did you make an offer on the FC ambulance? I have lusted over the FC's for years but any of the ones I have found, were way too far gone or Bubbified badly. That one appears to be very straight.
I agree - That FC Jeep Ambulance is a gem. And the fact that is was US NAVY would seem to make it an even more rare bird!

I too have coveted owning a Jeep FC of any model or year, but the pick-up version would be my honest "choice". I recall an FC Pick-Up from my youth that was equipped with a snowplow. It looked horribly nose-heavy like it was about to flip forward at the slightest tap of the brakes.

THANKS for linking those pics.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you and mkcoen have hit the nail squarely on the head!! Also (unfortunately) the VFWs, (at least here) are suffering the same fate. The WWII folks didn't want to accept the Vietnam Vets because that wasn't a "real war" and now the same with the present war Veterans.

They also didn't count that little police action in Korea either and my Father had a very different opinion.

Michael

No, but I did talk to the owner. He found two of them in the desert. This one was pretty much as found with a few missing parts from the other one. It was nice.

41cl8m5

I was required to sign up with the MVPA as A Officer of the MVCC in Colorado. Heck, the members elected me to the position, the bylaws say I must, so what the heck. Never saw a reason before, it's a thing for those back east not for us out west, right? I mean they never have any thing for those west of the Mississippi worth while. That WAS my opinion, I just came back from attending the last event, which was my first and I was all in in going, nothing was going to stop me in getting there, and that is a longer story.
I was told the event was somewhat smaller this year but I was still impressed with all the going ons. Got to see some folks and buy some stuff and see some sites while I was there, also learned so new things about painting.
Hope I can make next years event.

If you have never been, then it should be on your bucket list, at least!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was required to sign up with the MVPA as A Officer of the MVCC in Colorado. Heck, the members elected me to the position, the bylaws say I must, so what the heck. Never saw a reason before, it's a thing for those back east not for us out west, right? I mean they never have any thing for those west of the Mississippi worth while. That WAS my opinion, I just came back from attending the last event, which was my first and I was all in in going, nothing was going to stop me in getting there, and that is a longer story.
I was told the event was somewhat smaller this year but I was still impressed with all the going ons. Got to see some folks and buy some stuff and see some sites while I was there, also learned so new things about painting.
Hope I can make next years event.

If you have never been, then it should be on your bucket list, at least!
When I first got in the MVPA the first convention after I joined was in Denver, that was over 30 years ago and the only one in the Rockies, that I am aware of. Looks like next year is on the east side in York PA, Aug 5-10.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5aa9d8a7d12bef49c22e1473/5b314c6df7f0bdefdc0652af_YorkFlyer.pdf

Last edited:

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also noticed the lighter attendance feel of the convention. My wife and I really enjoyed the convention and the tour that was offered. We got to meet several SS members and that was great.

I like that the MVPA sent out a survey a few years ago, asking us members what we thought they should be doing to get more people interested in the organization. This I feel was a real turning point in getting the newer vehicles incorporated into the mix.

I firmly believe that this type of survey of members should be done annually. I also think that some sort of email should be sent to owners that register military vehicles at the DMV. (Not sure how to go about this but its an idea) This would at least inform them of the MVPA Clubs existence and maybe trigger them to join or at least attend an event.

Bert

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That MV registration thing is actually not a bad idea. It would work for vehicles registered as HMVs, but not sure how effectively it could be implemented for those with regular plates, and there are a lot of them. The problem there is what the DMV chooses to call the vehicle, and there seems little consistency there. My Unimog was originally registered as a plain ol' Mercedes pickup when I had regular plates on it. The M1009s are still listed as "Chevrolet LL" which in Texas terms is a utility vehicle. Others get registered as Dxxxxxx.

And the ones registering as regular vehicles are the ones who are least likely to know there is an HMV option, or a club for MV "enthusiasts".
I found my local MVPA chapter (Lone-Star) by chance on the interweb in early 2001, been with it ever since. Prior to that it was me and the Unimog.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks