Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: MVPA Convention (2018) - Louisville, KY

  1. #61
    4 Star General M813rc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Near Austin, Texas
    MVPA
    28428
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    5,544
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,033 Posts

    Default

    I do think that National, particularly David Doyle, have done a lot recently to include the "later" M-series vehicles in the MVPA, but it may be too late. An entrenched reputation is hard to shake.

    Judging by the daily participation on SS, I'd say the interest is still here with the vehicles.
    From the reactions and feedback at events we do, I'd say the younger generation definitely has the interest.
    What most ask, and I don't really have an answer for them, is "What is the benefit of joining MVPA?" Political clout is no longer a valid argument, I doubt that any politician would find 5000 people spread across the country anything to be concerned about.

    Price may have a lot to do with the current situation. GP's pricing policies brought my auction purchases, which used to be frequent, to a screeching halt (which may not be bad thing for me!).
    Likewise, when I look at a lot of the for-sale ads these days, here and elsewhere, I have to wonder just how much of Saddam's gold got hidden in MVs and their accessories! I have to wonder what the difference is between the 12' NOS inter-vehicular cable I bought at the convention for $25, and the ones I see for sale in other individuals' ads?
    I suppose my main point here is that most of the younger folk may not be fiscally able to get into what used to be a reasonably affordable hobby.

    Cheers
    Rory

    M813A1 (USMC)
    S404 Unimog (Swiss)
    V100 (M706) Armoured Car
    XM704 Armoured Car
    M185A3
    M109A3
    M1009 (x2)
    M931A2 (x2)
    M715 (x2.5)
    M725
    M35A2 w/w
    M1030B1 (USMC) (x2)
    M274A5 Mule (USMC)
    M1028A2
    M270A1
    M1082 (x2)
    M146
    M116A3 HSTRU
    M1102 CMT-F
    M128A2C
    M129A4
    ADC-TSS-5
    M348A2C AN/MSC-25
    and some more trailers

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M813rc For This Useful Post:

    98G (Today), milstencil (06-20-2018), mkcoen (06-20-2018), MWMULES (06-20-2018), papabear (06-20-2018), rtk (06-20-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-20-2018)

  3. #62
    Colonel blisters13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beaumont in SoCal
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 132 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post
    I think you and mkcoen have hit the nail squarely on the head!! Also (unfortunately) the VFWs, (at least here) are suffering the same fate. The WWII folks didn't want to accept the Vietnam Vets because that wasn't a "real war" and now the same with the present war Veterans.
    The VFW I volunteer at in Beaumont, CA is mostly Vietnam veterans... they're in charge now!
    Member, Mil. Veh. Pres. Assoc. #31330
    Member, Inland Empire chapter MVPA
    Member, Antique Truck Hist. Soc.
    S.K., Knights of Columbus
    Member, NRA
    Member, Cal. Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
    1942 K-38 Splicer's Trailer
    1950 M104 trailer
    1967 Ford M151A1
    1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/winch
    2010 M1102

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blisters13 For This Useful Post:

    papabear (06-20-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-20-2018)

  5. #63
    4 Star General Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tishomingo, MS
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 107 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    I was able to get off and go at the last minute and was even able to get a room at the host hotel. Here is a link to all the pictures I took. Missed seeing Dave. Didn't seem like there was many bargains to be had this year. https://1plant4u.smugmug.com/MVPA-2018-Convention

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:

    67Beast (06-20-2018), amgeneral72 (06-20-2018), MWMULES (06-21-2018), papabear (06-20-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2018)

  7. #64
    Moderator MWMULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    DESOTO, KANSAS
    MVPA
    10023
    Posts
    5,259
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,229 Posts

    Default

    Likewise Michael, so did you make an offer on the FC ambulance? I have lusted over the FC's for years but any of the ones I have found, were way too far gone or Bubbified badly. That one appears to be very straight.
    HMIC of BEEFCO Industries world wide.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to MWMULES For This Useful Post:

    USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2018)

  9. #65
    Chaplain USAFSS-ColdWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas USA
    Posts
    15,097
    Thanks
    40,438
    Thanked 17,927 Times in 6,341 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I was able to get off and go at the last minute and was even able to get a room at the host hotel. Here is a link to all the pictures I took. Missed seeing Dave. Didn't seem like there was many bargains to be had this year. https://1plant4u.smugmug.com/MVPA-2018-Convention
    Quote Originally Posted by MWMULES View Post
    Likewise Michael, so did you make an offer on the FC ambulance? I have lusted over the FC's for years but any of the ones I have found, were way too far gone or Bubbified badly. That one appears to be very straight.
    I agree - That FC Jeep Ambulance is a gem. And the fact that is was US NAVY would seem to make it an even more rare bird!

    I too have coveted owning a Jeep FC of any model or year, but the pick-up version would be my honest "choice". I recall an FC Pick-Up from my youth that was equipped with a snowplow. It looked horribly nose-heavy like it was about to flip forward at the slightest tap of the brakes.

    THANKS for linking those pics.

  10. #66
    Modertator swbradley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    13,612
    Thanks
    3,805
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 2,623 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post
    I think you and mkcoen have hit the nail squarely on the head!! Also (unfortunately) the VFWs, (at least here) are suffering the same fate. The WWII folks didn't want to accept the Vietnam Vets because that wasn't a "real war" and now the same with the present war Veterans.

    They also didn't count that little police action in Korea either and my Father had a very different opinion.
    sw

    Yes, that's an image of my skull.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to swbradley1 For This Useful Post:

    USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2018)

  12. #67
    GA Mafia Imperial 1SG papabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    12,630
    Thanks
    11,819
    Thanked 14,502 Times in 4,913 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swbradley1 View Post
    They also didn't count that little police action in Korea either and my Father had a very different opinion.
    Dang Steve I'm very sorry I left out Korea. Looks like I'd have remembered that after my four tours. (Non-combat of course).
    Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there is no cure for stupid.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papabear For This Useful Post:

    swbradley1 (06-21-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-21-2018)

  14. #68
    4 Star General Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Tishomingo, MS
    Posts
    1,286
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 107 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MWMULES View Post
    Likewise Michael, so did you make an offer on the FC ambulance? I have lusted over the FC's for years but any of the ones I have found, were way too far gone or Bubbified badly. That one appears to be very straight.
    No, but I did talk to the owner. He found two of them in the desert. This one was pretty much as found with a few missing parts from the other one. It was nice.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:

    USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-22-2018)

  16. #69
    Colonel 41cl8m5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    213
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 76 Times in 42 Posts

    Default

    I was required to sign up with the MVPA as A Officer of the MVCC in Colorado. Heck, the members elected me to the position, the bylaws say I must, so what the heck. Never saw a reason before, it's a thing for those back east not for us out west, right? I mean they never have any thing for those west of the Mississippi worth while. That WAS my opinion, I just came back from attending the last event, which was my first and I was all in in going, nothing was going to stop me in getting there, and that is a longer story.
    I was told the event was somewhat smaller this year but I was still impressed with all the going ons. Got to see some folks and buy some stuff and see some sites while I was there, also learned so new things about painting.
    Hope I can make next years event.

    If you have never been, then it should be on your bucket list, at least!

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 41cl8m5 For This Useful Post:

    67Beast (Yesterday), papabear (Yesterday), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (Yesterday)

  18. #70
    Moderator MWMULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    DESOTO, KANSAS
    MVPA
    10023
    Posts
    5,259
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,229 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 41cl8m5 View Post
    I was required to sign up with the MVPA as A Officer of the MVCC in Colorado. Heck, the members elected me to the position, the bylaws say I must, so what the heck. Never saw a reason before, it's a thing for those back east not for us out west, right? I mean they never have any thing for those west of the Mississippi worth while. That WAS my opinion, I just came back from attending the last event, which was my first and I was all in in going, nothing was going to stop me in getting there, and that is a longer story.
    I was told the event was somewhat smaller this year but I was still impressed with all the going ons. Got to see some folks and buy some stuff and see some sites while I was there, also learned so new things about painting.
    Hope I can make next years event.

    If you have never been, then it should be on your bucket list, at least!
    When I first got in the MVPA the first convention after I joined was in Denver, that was over 30 years ago and the only one in the Rockies.
    HMIC of BEEFCO Industries world wide.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to MWMULES For This Useful Post:

    USAFSS-ColdWarrior (Yesterday)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •