• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce crash in Winston-Salem, NC, 11/2017

LanceRobson

Well folks I hope this isn't one of ours.....

A Ford Focus failed to yield the right of way on Bolton St in Winston-Salem Friday night and turned left in front of an M44 series truck with a winch and got broadsided. The Focus driver is in the hospital with life threatening injuries which is no surprise considering how deep the front bumper and winch are in the Focus. If there had been a passenger front seat rider in that car they'd be dead for sure.

The deuce driver, Samuel Shamel, age 24 was charged with no registration, no inspection, no insurance and with failure to properly restrain a child.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_7e064ef5-9bcf-51ee-96ec-4b83db9ed830.html

http://www.wxii12.com/article/part-of-bolton-street-closed-after-wreck/13258548

****, I hate to see this....

Lance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce headlights not burning either at night. I'll never understand why people think they can get away with "driving dirty" just because they are behind the wheel of a former military vehicle.

dmetalmiki

(2nd of) Two very sad posts (to have) to respond to today...This one like the last is the wrong sort of attention historic military vehicle enthusiasts collectors and show participants need.
I hope the driver of the small car get's to be back to normal as soon as possible.
Not so Small mistake Big penalty.
Same goes for the driver of that truck. For a different reason!.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2017-11-08 FATALITY by Deuce -Winston-Salem, NC

Prayers for all involved in this tragedy.

untitled-15.jpg

http://myfox8.com/2017/11/08/man-di...-military-style-cargo-truck-in-winston-salem/
---------------------------
Man dies after crash involving car, military-style cargo truck in Winston-Salem

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — The man injured in a crash involving a military-style cargo truck and a car last week in Winston-Salem has died, according to a press release.
Daniel Mark Beyerlein, 30, died on Nov. 7 from injuries sustained the crash. He had been hospitalized since last Friday.
Investigators said Beyerlein was driving a Ford Focus north on Bolton Street near the on and off ramp to Silas Creek Parkway shortly before 7:30 p.m.
Police said he then tried to turn left onto the on-ramp to southbound Silas Creek Parkway and into the path of the truck.
Beyerlein did not have a protected green left turn light at the time and the vehicles collided in the southbound lane of Bolton Street, according to police.
Samuel Howard Palmer Shamel, 24, of Winston-Salem, was the driver of the privately-owned military-style cargo truck, according to police.
Shamel and his passenger were not injured but Shamel faces charges of failure to register his motor vehicle with the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, not having the motor vehicle inspected, failure to have the motor vehicle insured and failure to properly restrain a child.
--------------------

FAILURE to Register;
NOT inspected;
FAILURE to insure;
FAILURE to restrain child ! ! !

There ARE CONSEQUENCES for poor judgement, regardless of the other (deceased) driver's failure to yield the right-of-way.

Is this MV owner an SS Member???

Again, we pray.

John

snowtrac nome

I had a close call couple nights ago I had my wife's nice with me, going out to recover her car out of the ditch. Compliments of daylite savings time the sun sets around 6 up here now. This particular night it was raining heavy, blowing and pitch black out. I made a left turn on to a road had blinding lights from another car turning to my niece shouted stop some ones in the road. I stopped and 2 guys dressed in black, walked right in to the front of my truck. had it not been for some one riding tc with me you would have been reading headlines on me to, I would bet I'd have never felt them in the lmtv.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm betting the family will sue for 'wrongful death', saying that the vehicle shouldn't have been on the road...
I'd like to agree....but under the circumstances I guess the deceased was at fault for the accident whether the Deuce was "legal" or not.

BUT!!!

No tag, no insurance, WTH was that guy thinking!! He made a tragic mistake and I'm sure he will pay dearly for it in more ways than just legal woes. So will his family.

I feel for all involved.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on what I see happening daily, I would say the driver of the Deuce has big problems. Why anyone takes any vehicle on the road without the proper paperwork is beyond me. Hope it works out for all involved.

JDToumanian

I'm so glad the deuce was not the cause of the accident, but I agree, the owner is going to have some serious legal woes... Regardless of the fact the deuce was not at fault, he will almost certainly be sued and held accountable due to the fact the deuce was not registered or insured and thus should not have been there to hit the car when it's driver mis-judged his turn.

Jon

snowtrac nome

I know we don't discuss insurance much here, but when I went to pick up my lmtv I was enlightened, and this could be the same, no excuse for doing it though. I reside in Alaska my truck was in Washington I wanted to get at least liability on it before driving it down there. Alaska company's couldn't insure for me a truck that didn't reside in the state even if it was destined to come here. they told me to call a Washington broker. The Washington brokers couldn't sell me insurance for a vehicle down there with out me residing there. That left me in a catch 22 I just took my chances on a one way trip. Also a lot of states will require commercial insurance on the larger trucks so don't think you can use the grace period your auto policy gives you for adding a new purchase the best thing to do is call them first get some thing on paper so they cant weasel out of it on a technicality.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A lot of folks focusing on registration and insurance but I would say the trifecta of what will sink this deuce driver is the added failure to inspect. Granted, most (if not all) states won't require an antique vehicle to be inspected but only if it was registered and operated in the status of a historic vehicle under that state law. This individual probably did significant damage to the hobby even though he wasn't at fault for the actual accident. The question will be if this damage will be isolated to NC or other states will begin to tighten up on us.

snowtrac nome

Like with the subway accident he lost brakes, my concern is what happens if the few insurance company's now that cover mv's start deciding they may be too high of a risk. They certainly wont single out just the real old stuff and those of us using the newer rigs commercially could loose our coverage, because the collage educated bean counters wont delineate between old single circuit hydraulic brakes and split circuit types or split circuit air systems like the 900 series trucks and lmtv's

Flyingvan911

Prayers said for the family and friends of the victim. While it's good that the deuce was not at fault, the no tags/insurance/inspection does make the driver look very irresponsible. I do think the wreck would have been just as bad if it was any other large vehicle. Dump truck, trash truck, etc. I hope common sense prevails. Don't turn in front of another vehicle and any large vehicle will cause big damage. This is a good yet unfortunate example of the importance of having all your ducks in a row. You never know what might go wrong. I had a teacher in high school who used to say, "don't be sorry, be correct."

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of folks focusing on registration and insurance but I would say the trifecta of what will sink this deuce driver is the added failure to inspect. Granted, most (if not all) states won't require an antique vehicle to be inspected but only if it was registered and operated in the status of a historic vehicle under that state law. This individual probably did significant damage to the hobby even though he wasn't at fault for the actual accident. The question will be if this damage will be isolated to NC or other states will begin to tighten up on us.
Brother CARNAC has, once again, pressed the envelope to his turban covered noggin and given a wise analysis of the "trifecta" of violations. Ultimately, this owner/driver's noose will be cinched by the fact that he had "TOTAL DISREGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE" by not properly restraining his own child as a passenger in the Deuce. The prosecuting attorney has been dealt the TRUMP CARD to be played to the SYMPATHETIC JURY, almost guaranteeing liability, conviction, and punishment. Willfully endangering kid shall COOK YOUR GOOSE.

bsteinborn

I have no trifecta of violations to worry about with my vehicles. But if you wrongfully pull out in front of my 23,000 lb truck you might end up dead. The driver of the car should have been paying attention and is the only one at fault. I see people looking down at the phone more than on the road in front of them.

BnaditCorps

The Fusion driver made a misjudgment and paid for it dearly. Pulling out in front of a large truck (dump truck, semi, garbage truck, fire truck, etc.) will not end well for you. When in doubt, wait it out.

The Deuce driver made a misjudgment and will pay for it dearly. Unregistered: Class 3 Misdemeanor, Not Inspected: Unable to locate, Uninsured: Class 1 Misdemeanor, Unrestrained Child: 2 points on your license + court fees.

That was all dredged up in quick google search, I feel they should be harsh enough to prevent someone from failing to comply, but sadly in this case they didn't. (although the unrestrained child seems a little lax). It wasn't like he lost his brakes suddenly going downhill and had no way to stop, he knowingly failed to comply with all 4 charges and now this will be reflected on all of the law abiding MV owners. Whether it be higher insurance or a bad reputation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks