• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

split pre-1975 5-tons and newer:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always wondered why all 5-tons are "post Vietnam"; the M39s and most of the M809s are definitely Vietnam area trucks. Probably, in the early days of the site, it seemed the easiest solution.

In addition, with time passing, search results in the 5-ton section are more and more dominated by references to the M900 series.

Solving two problems in one, is it not time to split the "early 5-ton" (M39, M809) from the more highway oriented M900 and later HETs? I know its a webmaster's nightmare but I will be quite happy to spend some -several days in helping doing that if possible at all.

Maybe we can add a railroad forum at the same time ;-) ;-)

BnaditCorps

I always wondered why all 5-tons are "post Vietnam"; the M39s and most of the M809s are definitely Vietnam area trucks. Probably, in the early days of the site, it seemed the easiest solution.

In addition, with time passing, search results in the 5-ton section are more and more dominated by references to the M900 series.

Solving two problems in one, is it not time to split the "early 5-ton" (M39, M809) from the more highway oriented M900 and later HETs? I know its a webmaster's nightmare but I will be quite happy to spend some -several days in helping doing that if possible at all.

Maybe we can add a railroad forum at the same time ;-) ;-)
If you are suggesting that all threads about the M939 series and other new 5+ ton trucks be moved to a separate forum from the M39, M809, and older 5+ ton trucks that will be a logistical nightmare for the moderators and the administrators.

That would require them to go through every single thread in that section, determine the topic, and move it to the proper forum. That doesn't even mention the large amount of threads that cover both M809 and M939.

Unless you are suggesting that they make a separate forum for each from here on out. Of course the old forum would have to stay around because it has lots of good information, but the threads would need to remain open since there are lots of continuing discussions.

Perhaps make 2 new forums a "5 Ton and up (pre-1975)" and another "5 ton and up, (post-1975)". With the current one existing as "5 ton and up, old forum". The old forum would have no option to start a new thread, but all threads that are open in there would be open to respond to.

Still this is very ambitious and I would argue the current search system is adequate for nearly all searches.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are suggesting that all threads about the M939 series and other new 5+ ton trucks be moved to a separate forum from the M39, M809, and older 5+ ton trucks that will be a logistical nightmare for the moderators and the administrators.

That would require them to go through every single thread in that section, determine the topic, and move it to the proper forum. That doesn't even mention the large amount of threads that cover both M809 and M939.

I work with websites and forums myself on small scale, know what a pain this can be.

..... I know its a webmaster's nightmare but I will be quite happy to spend some -several days in helping doing that if possible at all.

Maybe we can add a railroad forum at the same time :wink: :wink:
It probably is possible at least for an administrator or moderator, to do a search on the term "923" in the TITLE, then select the proper results, and move them as block to the new location. Then do the same for the M925, then for M51, M52, M8xx etc etc. That would get a lot of threads with clear titles moved quickly. Then again, those clear titles today are the ones that make it easier to scan and ignore results. So the ambiguous titles would be the last to be moved to their new location, or stay forever in the "old" section you suggest below.

Unless you are suggesting that they make a separate forum for each from here on out. Of course the old forum would have to stay around because it has lots of good information, but the threads would need to remain open since there are lots of continuing discussions.

Perhaps make 2 new forums a "5 Ton and up (pre-1975)" and another "5 ton and up, (post-1975)". With the current one existing as "5 ton and up, old forum". The old forum would have no option to start a new thread, but all threads that are open in there would be open to respond to.

Bnaditcorps, that would be a good solution. That would make things clearer from now on and, if the site managers would want to or allow it, it would give time to slowly move threads from the "Old" forum into their proper place in the new set-up.

Still this is very ambitious and I would argue the current search system is adequate for nearly all searches.
For a lot of topics, you probably are right, but for brakes, transmission and some other topics, it would be a lot better. The problem is mainly for the people searching things specific for the M39 and M809 series; looking for the 900 series topics probably will give better results.

BnaditCorps

Bnaditcorps, that would be a good solution. That would make things clearer from now on and, if the site managers would want to or allow it, it would give time to slowly move threads from the "Old" forum into their proper place in the new set-up.
That was my thought, it would allow the threads to be moved slowly and still allow the conversations that are present to continue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks