• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must not understand your question. IR thermometer measures temperature so I'm looking for heat build up. It's easier to reach potential hot spots under the truck with a laser-pointed IR gun than by hand.
Just like we check trailer bearings and dragging brakes by feeling them. A new-to-me truck deserves the same, or more, checks when starting on a long drive.
While I know that an IR thermometer checks temperatures, I've never used one to check the temperatures of anything you listed. Can you share what is normal (because I'm sure it's all normally "hot"), specific things you're looking for (e.g. "If I see one u-joint hotter than the other by about 20°F..."), etc.? For the record, I've never checked trailer bearings or dragging brakes by feeling them, either.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical temperatures on my truck after prolonged drive at highway speeds:

Hubs, 120 to 130 F
transmission 210, looking for hottest spot.
differentials 150 F

I never thought to look at U-joints, good idea! Likewise for troubleshooting injectors, or any firing disorder on cylinders. IF thermometer is also good for checking heat in radiator, especially difference between upper and lower tank temps, indicating cooling efficiency, water circulation, etc, and disproving over-heat indicated by bad dash gauge.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I know that an IR thermometer checks temperatures, I've never used one to check the temperatures of anything you listed. Can you share what is normal (because I'm sure it's all normally "hot"), specific things you're looking for (e.g. "If I see one u-joint hotter than the other by about 20°F..."), etc.? For the record, I've never checked trailer bearings or dragging brakes by feeling them, either.
There is probably not a list of official temperatures for most components. Like tnmogger suggests, it can help you get to know your vehicle. If its me, I would drive a "new-to-me" vehicle like this 15-20 miles and stop for checks. These numbers can be recorded (mentally or otherwise) and used as a baseline. Hub temps could be quickly compared against each other. Single components like a transfer case or transmission will have to wait for multiple stops and multiple data points before the picture starts to develop in your mind of what is normal. If you plan to institute some stops early in the trip, you can get a really good idea of what temp is normal for each area. As you become more comfortable with the vehicle, time between stops can be lengthened.

For the record, I regularly check temperatures with my hands. Hubs and tires are most common. Decent IR thermometers with a laser dot are fairly inexpensive these days. I use mine for components that are too hot to touch by hand or not easily accessible.

Recce01

IR thermo is great for all kinds of things including troubleshooting a miss.
I would say that with all the aforthought put into this trip, you should have no problems.
Fingers crossed. Thank you!

Typical temperatures on my truck after prolonged drive at highway speeds:

Hubs, 120 to 130 F
transmission 210, looking for hottest spot.
differentials 150 F

I never thought to look at U-joints, good idea! Likewise for troubleshooting injectors, or any firing disorder on cylinders. IF thermometer is also good for checking heat in radiator, especially difference between upper and lower tank temps, indicating cooling efficiency, water circulation, etc, and disproving over-heat indicated by bad dash gauge.
Super good intel!

There is probably not a list of official temperatures for most components. Like tnmogger suggests, it can help you get to know your vehicle. If its me, I would drive a "new-to-me" vehicle like this 15-20 miles and stop for checks. These numbers can be recorded (mentally or otherwise) and used as a baseline. Hub temps could be quickly compared against each other. Single components like a transfer case or transmission will have to wait for multiple stops and multiple data points before the picture starts to develop in your mind of what is normal. If you plan to institute some stops early in the trip, you can get a really good idea of what temp is normal for each area. As you become more comfortable with the vehicle, time between stops can be lengthened.

For the record, I regularly check temperatures with my hands. Hubs and tires are most common. Decent IR thermometers with a laser dot are fairly inexpensive these days. I use mine for components that are too hot to touch by hand or not easily accessible.
I like the scientific approach! I'll try to find my IR laser thermometer, otherwise it'll go on the Harbor freight list!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Yeah, I understand the "know your vehicle" idea, but this gives me some context. Since I only have this one vehicle, and have never had another FMV or checked temps before, without this context I could be looking at problems and thinking they are normal. For example, I could be like "Look, my hubs are always 250°F, so that must be good to go!", which of course would probably end up in a catastrophe.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys!
I really appreciate you sourcing these for our adventure. Please make sure to let me know what resources you expelled so I can take care of it!
Thank you!
I met with Reworked LMTV today to get your relays Recce01. He wouldn’t let me pay for them so I bought lunch. We had some famous Nashville hot chicken. We had a nice talk and it was good to meet another great SS member.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T minus one day... Scott give me a call in your way to the airport tomorrow.

Here’s what I accomplished this weekend:

1. Installed new air dryer. Thanks to suprman for some technical support in the process. I somehow switched input and output air lines and had a few moments of panic when the truck wouldn’t build air pressure. Here is the correct line orientation
83BF0912-7653-4F2A-B9DB-E715CF7EF433.jpg
And a quick video of it operating...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_TwZYzl-I
2. Installed new windshield wipers
3. Took a test ride with new air dryer. This unit seems to let the system operate at slightly higher pressure. Now the CTIS seems to work much better. Maybe the old air dryer was somewhat plugged up.

Should be all ready to go!

52FD518A-11EA-43A7-BC7A-577FB521F8F7.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. Yeah, I understand the "know your vehicle" idea, but this gives me some context. Since I only have this one vehicle, and have never had another FMV or checked temps before, without this context I could be looking at problems and thinking they are normal. For example, I could be like "Look, my hubs are always 250°F, so that must be good to go!", which of course would probably end up in a catastrophe.

This is what I did on the 5 ton list. It is pretty accurate. In these trucks being so loud you may not hear or even feel a bearing or something going bad. Especially a LMTV with its chatter anyways. But on my 5 ton i check temps everytime i stop or get out to refuel. I always see a temp change on something going bad + or - 5 to 8 degrees is ok but anything more than that you can suspect something is on its way out or needs some grease.

Attachments

Recce01

I met with Reworked LMTV today to get your relays Recce01. He wouldn’t let me pay for them so I bought lunch. We had some famous Nashville hot chicken. We had a nice talk and it was good to meet another great SS member.
You guys are awesome and so helpful!! THANK YOU!!!

Recce01

T minus one day... Scott give me a call in your way to the airport tomorrow.

Here’s what I accomplished this weekend:

1. Installed new air dryer. Thanks to suprman for some technical support in the process. I somehow switched input and output air lines and had a few moments of panic when the truck wouldn’t build air pressure. Here is the correct line orientation
View attachment 708741
And a quick video of it operating...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_TwZYzl-I
2. Installed new windshield wipers
3. Took a test ride with new air dryer. This unit seems to let the system operate at slightly higher pressure. Now the CTIS seems to work much better. Maybe the old air dryer was somewhat plugged up.

Should be all ready to go!

View attachment 708742
Well guys, I am at the San Diego airport!!! I haven't been on the boards because I was off grid in Death Valley, last minute camping trip with the wife. Need to do that sort of thing when you skip out on Thanksgiving for a truck purchase :) I very much appreciate all of your advice and assistance with this process.

TNriverjet has gone above and beyond to make this experience the best it can be. I am very grateful for his time and efforts.

This is what I did on the 5 ton list. It is pretty accurate. In these trucks being so loud you may not hear or even feel a bearing or something going bad. Especially a LMTV with its chatter anyways. But on my 5 ton i check temps everytime i stop or get out to refuel. I always see a temp change on something going bad + or - 5 to 8 degrees is ok but anything more than that you can suspect something is on its way out or needs some grease.
Thank you very much for posting this!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As far as carrying tools with you. I would check in Nashville for their Dewalt Store and see about a XR Brushless 1/2" impact in 20v. They run $205 for the bare tool. Plus batteries. You can buy a car charger for them. It is the best tool i have in my boxes i keep on my truck. You can put tires on with a 1inch air gun and that impact will take em off.

A 20v grease gun is also $100 as well.

We also have a small tool store here near me that sells air bottle jacks and all kinda great neck products for reasonable prices. You can get everything you need for under $200 as far as handtools go.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Recce01

Hi all! I am in Tennessee, TNriverjet picked me up from the airport, the trip was a little longer than expected. I'll spare you the details, but I will say, I had one **** of a day today. I am looking forward to seeing the 1083 tomorrow as well as a shopping spree at Harbor Freight! I'll keep you posted as to the progress. Thanks again TNriverjet for looking after me, he was awesome to help me out as minor drama transpired..... more to come!

coachgeo

.... he was awesome to help me out as minor drama transpired..... more to come!
Geeez.... did you go and punch a woman for complaining about manspreading again. Dude.... you gotta control that temper :deadhorse: lol..... glad to hear your adventure has started.... oh the tales you'll have to tell.

Reworked LMTV

Hi all! I am in Tennessee, TNriverjet picked me up from the airport, the trip was a little longer than expected. I'll spare you the details, but I will say, I had one **** of a day today. I am looking forward to seeing the 1083 tomorrow as well as a shopping spree at Harbor Freight! I'll keep you posted as to the progress. Thanks again TNriverjet for looking after me, he was awesome to help me out as minor drama transpired..... more to come!
Safe trip!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't find a finer guy, and family, to know. I had one of those 'bad days' on a vehicle recovery in his neighborhood a few months ago. He, family, and neighbors really supported me until I was back on my feet (involved a 95 degree day on blacktop, changing big truck tires, heat exhaustion, medics, and hospital, yeah, a bad day).

Have a great trip! Your new truck will be as prepped for the ride as it possibly can be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks