• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How reliable can I expect a "new" 2012 MTV to be? What locking diff options exist?

Which truck?

• Build on the 2012 MTV

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • MTV will be a headache, build on Kenworth K370

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

exon111

I see the truck is still for sale on GXV's site. What happened?
I haven't had the time I thought I would to use the truck. Work circumstances changed. I'll probably still build it but since it's on indefinite hold right now, the truck is on consignment with GXV. If someone buys it, great. If not, we'll hold onto it until I get around to building the beast in the next couple of years.

Cavery

I haven't had the time I thought I would to use the truck. Work circumstances changed. I'll probably still build it but since it's on indefinite hold right now, the truck is on consignment with GXV. If someone buys it, great. If not, we'll hold onto it until I get around to building the beast in the next couple of years.
I sure can imagine a beautiful vehicle being built from it. Are those trucks reliable?

IrishGoodbye

hey Exon, did you ever end up building? Did you ever find a shop in OC to service and take care of the brazos? Would love to bend your ear sometime - coincidentally I’m kind of in the same boat (and same county!). Looking at buying a 2012 BAE “Titan” (Brazos) already has a camper box.

IrishGoodbye

Do you plan to do a blog, or have a forum thread somewhere we can follow your progress? I am very curious about your build, especially with a 23' box! Is your vehicle M1083 spec? Does it have a 161" wheelbase? If so, do you plan to extend the frame as Twoifoverland did? I heard that the twoif GXV box is mounted with opposing springs, and not on a 3 or 4 point subframe system. Sorry to blast you with so many questions.... but I am on a similar path albeit DIY
new member here & also looking at going down similar road. In your opinion, do you think the torsion springs in this application would be insufficien? The truck I’m looking at is mounted like this. I’m familiar with the subframe w/ 4 point pivot - seems better… question is… will springs be ok… or will they crack the frame in long run? Hard to imagine… frame is very robust, and I *think* military direct mounted or used springs for the trucks that came with small habitat box?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
new member here & also looking at going down similar road. In your opinion, do you think the torsion springs in this application would be insufficien? The truck I’m looking at is mounted like this. I’m familiar with the subframe w/ 4 point pivot - seems better… question is… will springs be ok… or will they crack the frame in long run? Hard to imagine… frame is very robust, and I *think* military direct mounted or used springs for the trucks that came with small habitat box?
The military "habitat box" is not the same as a box built for a civilian overland application. The civilian boxes are composite (plastic) panels bonded to foam and glued to extruded aluminum. The military boxes are built more like you would stick frame a house but with REALLY thick aluminum studs, aluminum corners, thousands of rivets, glue, and sheeted outside and inside with very thick aluminum - and then further reinforced to withstand being slung and air lifted by helicopter. They are an order of magnitude heavier and more rigid and their mounting system plays on that quality. They essentially don't need any subframe to support them and can easily sit on three or even two diagonal of their own corners and be perfectly happy doing it - they can be lifted from their corners after all and can hang from just two (probably just one really) of those points without coming apart. The truck mounting system is only there to allow the truck frame to flex so the truck frame itself can bend over a longer section of it's length to avoid stress points. But unlike a lot of similar military trucks the frame on these trucks is not all that flexible without a lot of weight on it. The trucks with habitats have frame doublers that are huck-bolted in place and they really don't have much flex - especially under-loaded as they almost always are in their civilian second life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks