• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How reliable can I expect a "new" 2012 MTV to be? What locking diff options exist?

Which truck?

• Build on the 2012 MTV

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • MTV will be a headache, build on Kenworth K370

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

snowtrac nome

If you are caught it is against federal law to remove or defeat required emissions systems, and with catyletic converters I have known a mechanic that was jailed for removing one and putting the car back into service. It was only a temp deal I never herd the out come but the us marshals were digging in the dumpster getting the evidence and impounded said cab.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is coming From 3/4 ton and 1ton Cummins powered pickup trucks, noncommercial, used as daily drivers.

(I agree commercial is a completely different game)

I can get you the statute regarding emissions tampering and the $25,000 fine for doing so, or for operating a vehicle after emissions equipment removal, but if you're not interested I won't bother.

RVs may be another game as well. But you'll want to make sure. Your '06 isn't relevant, as the DPF didn't come into service until '07.5.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like if it weighs more than 14k you get a complete pass from the state of California -

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

So the only law you'd be breaking would be emissions tampering, which is extremely unlikely to be enforced against an individual.

Edit to add -

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

And the relevant part -

"[FONT=&quot]Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day ..." extremely unlikely to be enforced against an individual, unless they pick you to make an example of.[/FONT]

Last edited:

exon111

This is coming From 3/4 ton and 1ton Cummins powered pickup trucks, noncommercial, used as daily drivers.

(I agree commercial is a completely different game)

I can get you the statute regarding emissions tampering and the $25,000 fine for doing so, or for operating a vehicle after emissions equipment removal, but if you're not interested I won't bother.

RVs may be another game as well. But you'll want to make sure. Your '06 isn't relevant, as the DPF didn't come into service until '07.5.
Are your trucks smog checked? GVWR must be under 14k then? Not trying to debate legality, but if there is an inspection requirement I really want to know. I'm pretty sure there isn't one though. I don't see how this would be treated any differently than my F-450 in terms of inspections / registration. I even talked to a VIN verifier to confirm the process is the same.

exon111

Looks like if it weighs more than 14k you get a complete pass from the state of California -

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq

So the only law you'd be breaking would be emissions tampering, which is extremely unlikely to be enforced against an individual.
Yup. EGR deletes are technically not legal either but the shop that services my truck has done a zillion of them. Choice between obscure law, or screwed up Ford 6.0 engine. Just sayin... ;)

Duckworthe

IMG_1416.JPGI registered mine as Stewart and Stevens 1997 RV from the start. They made my serial number into a 17 digit VIN, brake and lamp inspection, certified weight slip, CHP verified the vin and the camper to in-fact have the needed RV items then signed off on the paperwork. I then took it to DMV and they gave me my paperwork and plates. Done in like 4 days total. No smog check or questions about smog. CHP and DMV said it wasn't required of my truck as it was over 14,000 lbs and not commercial.

exon111

View attachment 708509I registered mine as Stewart and Stevens 1997 RV from the start. They made my serial number into a 17 digit VIN, brake and lamp inspection, certified weight slip, CHP verified the vin and the camper to in-fact have the needed RV items then signed off on the paperwork. I then took it to DMV and they gave me my paperwork and plates. Done in like 4 days total. No smog check or questions about smog. CHP and DMV said it wasn't required of my truck as it was over 14,000 lbs and not commercial.
That looks sweet! What was the weight and lamp inspection required for? Did CHP just do that when they were doing the VIN because they felt like it, or did someone require it? Or was it required because it had not been titled before?

What I've been told is I just need to get the regular DMV vehicle sale paperwork filled out (like buying any car) and get VIN verification done by a licensed Vin verifier (which I've had done a bunch of times). VIN verifier told me he just needs to see camper on body and get the length which he writes down on his form. Costs $65 and he comes to you. No need to go to DMV or CHP that way. Can't find anything about an inspection aside from that. Curious why they made you do that.

Duckworthe

The brake, lamp and weight slip were required by DMV and CHP when I registered my truck. I had to have certified brake inspection done to show CHP that the brakes worked and were in spec. (safe for the road). The lamp inspection was for all the lighting. It all worked correctly. Each inspection was like fricken $120.00! but it was required. the weight was done at EDCO trash scale as it was like $5.00 and is certified. We don't have truck scales all over the place in San Diego. The inspections were not done by CHP, but a heavy truck repair center in Lemon Grove. I was the first to register the truck. I had a mobile DMV lady help me also. I find that DMV has different rules everyday! **** mine in El Cajon, Ca gets shut down often for selling drivers licenses to people who cant pass the test or are here illegally! And that's a fact! If you look up my post about how I registered my truck, I layed it all out in there.

exon111

The brake, lamp and weight slip were required by DMV and CHP when I registered my truck. I had to have certified brake inspection done to show CHP that the brakes worked and were in spec. (safe for the road). The lamp inspection was for all the lighting. It all worked correctly. Each inspection was like fricken $120.00! but it was required. the weight was done at EDCO trash scale as it was like $5.00 and is certified. We don't have truck scales all over the place in San Diego. The inspections were not done by CHP, but a heavy truck repair center in Lemon Grove. I was the first to register the truck. I had a mobile DMV lady help me also. I find that DMV has different rules everyday! **** mine in El Cajon, Ca gets shut down often for selling drivers licenses to people who cant pass the test or are here illegally! And that's a fact! If you look up my post about how I registered my truck, I layed it all out in there.
LOL, yeah the DMV is a joke, that is for sure.

It sounds like maybe you didn't register as an RV? I didn't have to do any of this when I registered my Earthroamer from out of state. I think commercial vehicles require the sort of inspections you did, but have not seen this for private vehicle. Very confusing... Maybe it's a requirement when it doesn't come in with a normal transferable title from another state.

Aernan

I do plan on RV conversion but it's not in that state right now. I most likely will cancel the commercial truck reg and restart as an RV because this smog stuff is becoming a huge hassle.

utahpow

The 2012 BAE is probably Rodney's who detailed his intent to build the truck into an RV for him and family on Expedition Portal, but the threads have now been deleted. If it is the same one, the vehicle seems more than road worthy and can be made ready (IMO), with all the work that he had done to it --- just unfortunate the batteries weren't taken care of. GXV will take care of you, or knows someone who can take care of you to make sure the vehicle is in tip-top shape and expedition worthy. Here's the history of the vehicle in PDF that is still active.

If it is the same truck, I'd be surprised if a pass-through is going to be possible, but that might not be important to you.

You might check out Expedition Portal and the the Kenworth K370 chassis that GXV has been using lately. A few of those have rolled off the custom manu line there, and owners are now driving them around. I mean if you're going to spend the money, I don't see a big difference in capability.

But before anything else, I would give Andreas in Las Vegas and Box Manufakur a call to discuss, and the other Andreas at Total Composites to discuss your habitat ideas. Having either one of these companies build-out the box, sub-frame, and design is going to be way cheaper than a GXV, and they have the European styling, design, and experience under their belt.

Good luck with the build.

Last edited:

coachgeo

in the PDF pg 34 as quoted below is a note I have heard only one other time about... and Im sure it was about this truck... Does anyone knows what the hailz gear change are they are talking about within the Tcase?? Granted on Page 4 it says the Axle ratio's were changed so maybe it is a miss type on page 34 and there was no gear change in the Tcase? Can you check on this for us Exon111?

[quote="PDF_Pg34]...Even though the transfer case was changed out from a lower gear ratio to a higher gear ratio, done for better travel speeds on highway only); ....[/quote]

Last edited:

exon111

The truck we are getting is Rodney's truck. The plan is to move the air intake and "relocate" the DPF so we can push the camper as close as possible against the back of the cab. It will be like this picture, but a couple feet shorter. Also will be a much nicer color (at least in my opinion).
GXV_Patagonia_-_BAE_6x6_chassis_(1)_copy.jpg

Last edited:

scottmandu

Has anyone seen any very recent model "like new" M1083s come up for sale? How rare is that. I can't find any record of anything newer than 2007 selling, but another member here has a 2010 truck he purchased very inexpensively. Is there a secret source for these?
If something recent and in nice condition like that came for sale, I'd definitely consider it instead of the Brazos for the significant $avings.
2008 is probably the newest truck one can buy from the government. They started the up armor program in 2009 and the government doesn't sell armor to the public in usable form. A few newer models have been sold but not through the regular channels.

exon111

in the PDF pg 34 is a note I have heard only one other time about... and Im sure it was about this truck... who knows what the hail gear change are they are talking about within the AWD Tcase
I emailed Rodney and it sounds like this was just a typo / misunderstanding. MPT drivetrain just did a regular axle gearing change.

Last edited:

exon111

2008 is probably the newest truck one can buy from the government. They started the up armor program in 2009 and the government doesn't sell armor to the public in usable form. A few newer models have been sold but not through the regular channels.
There is this brand new 2010 wrecker a guy here in CA has for sale. I was REALLY temped to buy it, but practically, the regular non armored version is a way better for building a camper. So tempting though...
Pasted Graphic 1.jpg

exon111

That's cool. It didn't come from the government, it was probably sold when BAE sold off the plant.
According to the seller, it was made for the greek government, but due to their financial issues, they canceled the order or couldn't pay for it. It was on eBay a while back but didn't hit his reserve. He rents them for movies so isn't super motivated to sell it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks