• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TIPS on selecting and mounting a Backup/Rearview Camera

Gringo

Anyone have experience (hopefully good) with mounting a rearview/backup camera system in a 419 SEE? Seems like it would be very beneficial when towing or operating implements or just about anytime while driving a SEE because obviously the rearview mirror is just a decoration with the spare tire in in its original mounting position and the backhoe is folded/stowed.

Pretty sure I will be going with one of the wireless versions, obviously weatherproof with a high shock rating etc... Not sure whether I should push it and get one of the versions that comes with a radio and Bluetooth enabled display/receiver with wireless speaker(s) or keep just it simple. Obviously it needs to operate on 24 Volts or be tied into an inverter. There are a few with just the camera and display that are battery(rechargeable) operated that could probably work for long enough per day before needing to be recharged.

Then comes the mounting placement/location decision.

Or I have been seriously considering trying to use the BULLSEYE GUN SIGHT IN CAMERA SYSTEM as a temporary/removable when not in use substitute.

61oTUVBJpIL__SL1000_.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visibility in a SEE as delivered does leave a little to be desired, but a back-up camera?

I removed the spare, which helps a lot with rearward visibility.
On the driver's side, a large (6-7-inch) spot mirror below the regular one allows me to see the left rear tire, and more.
Did the spot mirror on the right side, too, but later changed to a larger convex European truck mirror. Those are nowhere near as convex, more like a modern car passenger side mirror. Again, can see the right rear tire as well as to the rear in general.

In my case I'm usually not interested in what's directly behind the SEE, and if I am, I look out the rear window. It's the rear tires I want to know where they are in relation to ditches, immovable objects, and such.
Often there is very little margin, and being an inch off to either side could easily make the SEE end up on its side. One of these days I'll install a mirror to keep track of what the right front is doing, too.

Okay, that was the long way of saying "Have you tried using better mirrors yet?" My main reason for not using a camera is that then I'd be looking at a screen, most likely somewhere in the center of the cab, and lose much of the benefit of peripheral vision that comes with using the mirrors.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks