• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Next Dutch salvage yard

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this place while looking for a new steering gear for our M51A2. Man, this is going to pop some eyes out, I bet. Sorry gals and guys, the place in in the Netherlands, so a wee bit too far away for most.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 19.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 01.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 02.jpg

This is a bit of what I saw arriving at his place.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 06.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 07.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 08.JPG

Then he showed me some of the toys inside the sheds: dump truck with troop seats and a goat.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 09.JPG

And an DAF YA-126 weapon carrier

The trucks where parked too tight, I could not get a good distance for better pics, and also the light was not brilliant.
The big missing object in the pics here is the DUKW. Some people started restore it, than gave up and he got it for a good price. Still a lot of work needed though. There were some other trucks and jeeps in the sheds as well, and he mentioned that there were two more sheds at a different location.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 04.JPG

Outside in the back this monster trailer. It has a large dolly, but normally it is operated without dolly but goes directly on a tractor. The rear has no ramps; when disconnected, the front part hinges and goes flat on the ground so a bulldozer can drive on it. Wooden floor, probably from 1944-45. I forgot to ask the type, and good not find it back on internet. Anybody?

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more nice toys standing in the back. The biggest surprise was the M520 Goer, dwarfing the 5-ton wrecker standing next to it. Only a handful remain, and this is one of them in a very good condition.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 13.jpg Dutch scrapyard 2017 10.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 11.jpg Dutch scrapyard 2017 12.JPG

Another toy for if your neighbor parks his car in front of your driveway

Dutch scrapyard 2017 20.JPG

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And some pics of the more destroyed trucks he has standing around. Although some definitely are not for destruction.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 14.JPG

And a very surprising find overgrown in the field:

Dutch scrapyard 2017 15.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 17.JPG Dutch scrapyard 2017 16.jpg

I could not get a good light angle and with my phone, quality is not perfect. However, this GMC standing here with its cabin very good in the paint but its chassis completely overgrown made a perfect picture. Small detail; even where it is standing, the owner does not want this truck to go away. He had some GMC CCKWs in the sheds and the back area as well.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 03.jpg

This is the truck where my new steering gear is coming from: a completely stripped and cut-up M52A2. It is a tractor, so the steering shaft has the tractor trailer brake handle as well, which I can use for my DUMP/Tractor switch.

Dutch scrapyard 2017 18.jpg

If need be, here is another with the steering gear intact; about the only thing intact and left on both trucks.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I a dreamer
I want to go there just to look and see and touch
OK, weird idea ...........
But, if I hit the lottery, I wouldn't goto see a pyramid.
I would go the world over to see all the stuff.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in a hurry, arrived late Monday afternoon and I could not get the steering shaft-tube out of the control house, probably the bearings or the splines got stuck. Called it a day when it got dark and got back the next morning. Still not much success, in the end we loosened the control house from the gearbox and pulled the whole thing out. Looked like the cam shaft and the steering shaft got stuck together. Not to waste more time, I just cut the whole for the steering shaft wider, and took everything out like that.

By then, it was late morning and I wanted to get going, two more stops on the way and wanting to be back in the Czech Republic that night. As result, I did not take time to get my real camera (Nikon D90) out and make a lot of pics. aua

Any idea about the trailer? He said it was used for transporting cat bulldozers (D7 and bigger) and he needed one to make it look nice ;-). The trailer is over-sized width.

54reo

View attachment 708643

Outside in the back this monster trailer. It has a large dolly, but normally it is operated without dolly but goes directly on a tractor. The rear has no ramps; when disconnected, the front part hinges and goes flat on the ground so a bulldozer can drive on it. Wooden floor, probably from 1944-45. I forgot to ask the type, and good not find it back on internet. Anybody?
If you get a chance, look for the data plate on that dolly; I believe I have the same one. It is huge.

I'll look again, but as I recall the tag on mine referenced a large trailer/dolly system for the Army Air Corp. M-4 or something similar.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking there again is a bit of a problem; I am 926 km away :(

The trailer came out of a private museum that is downsizing. They said the trailer is not WW II, so he can have it. He did some research, and actually it is 1944-45, so WW II. Whatever, he his happy. I am not sure if he got the trailer with dolly, or if he put them together later, but it is a nice view. I think he said the dolly is from the early 50s. Could that be an M354 dolly trailer converter?

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That big trailer is a WWII trailer. The data plate describes it as Semi-Trailer, Low-Bed, Front-Loading, 20-ton, built by Jahn.

I've tried finding the manual listed, TM 5-9045, without success so far.

I believe that trailer was discussed on here in the past, which may be where I got the photo attached below?

Cheers

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Thank you for posting some excellent pictures. I really like that trailer and the multi wheeled dolly. I had, but never used a dolly like that (8 wheels) for use with my ex-RAF recovery trailer. The wrecker trailer and that dolly made a really good display unit.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, you have a Mxxx number and which tractor often went in combo with it?
Haven't been able to find an M number (it may never have had one). I've seen M1 and M4 attributed to it, but no evidence to confirm either.

Corbitt and White 6-ton trucks are reported to be the intended towing vehicles.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks