• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hemtt wheels and CTIS on an M923a2

Flatlander

I am wanting to put 16r20 tires on my 1990 M923a2, and I can't seem to find a concrete answer to these questions:

1. I have found (2) 16r20 tires mounted on HEMTT wheels that have HEMTT CTIS on them. I plan to put them on the front. I would like to keep my CTIS on my truck. Will they work?

2. I would like to have the spare be the same size. Will the 16r20 fit in the current spare location?

Thank y'all for your input!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As long as you can find a way to hook the line to the valve off of the hub I don't know why it wouldn't work.

You need this type of A1 davit if your truck doesn't have it. You can add spacers to the vertical running support bars on the side to make it wider for the 16.00. You would need to reinforce the upper arm support or make it stronger. As a HEMTT wheel with a 16.00 with a runflat is 600lbs + compared to a 14.00 on a combat wheel is around 400.

Attachments

MAdams

The HEMTT ctis wheel valve will not bolt up to your hub, you will have to make an adapter fitting out of a block of aluminum or something. Also, the ctis wheel valve sheet metal protection plates will not bolt onto the HEMTT wheel due to the 16 wheel studs vs the 10 on a 5 ton combat wheel. A 16.00 will fit into the spare tire saddle but you have to tweek the clamp a little and make the ears wider. Thats the simple part.

Flatlander

As long as you can find a way to hook the line to the valve off of the hub I don't know why it wouldn't work.

You need this type of A1 davit if your truck doesn't have it. You can add spacers to the vertical running support bars on the side to make it wider for the 16.00. You would need to reinforce the upper arm support or make it stronger. As a HEMTT wheel with a 16.00 with a runflat is 600lbs + compared to a 14.00 on a combat wheel is around 400.
Ok, I have that davit. Spacers to the side bars shouldn't be difficult. Does anyone have pictures of the reinforcement they have done to the upper arm support?

Also, I suppose I could leave the 14r20 in place as a spare, anyone done that, and what would the downside be?

Flatlander

The HEMTT ctis wheel valve will not bolt up to your hub, you will have to make an adapter fitting out of a block of aluminum or something. Also, the ctis wheel valve sheet metal protection plates will not bolt onto the HEMTT wheel due to the 16 wheel studs vs the 10 on a 5 ton combat wheel. A 16.00 will fit into the spare tire saddle but you have to tweek the clamp a little and make the ears wider. Thats the simple part.
Has anyone made that adapter and have a picture they can post? Will the HEMTT sheet metal protection plate work? I'm guessing maybe with modification....

MAdams

I saw a picture that someone posted on fackbook a while ago but it wasn't a close up. Basically its a block thats taped with threads to connect the HEMTT wheel valve to the A2 hub.
I have a 16.00 on a HEMTT wheel with just the beadlock(no run flat) and the davit ins't reinforced but you can tell it doesn't like the weight. 2017-05-29 14.52.32.jpg

Flatlander

Looks good! About how far did you have to space out your side support bars? I'm thinking a removable bolt-on truss for the top of the davit might not be too hard to engineer.

Flatlander

I am wanting to put 16r20 tires on my 1990 M923a2, and I can't seem to find a concrete answer to these questions:

1. I have found (2) 16r20 tires mounted on HEMTT wheels that have HEMTT CTIS on them. I plan to put them on the front. I would like to keep my CTIS on my truck. Will they work?

2. I would like to have the spare be the same size. Will the 16r20 fit in the current spare location?

Thank y'all for your input!
So as I am reading about all this, I noticed that the wheel picture that I posted is of a 12 lug wheel, which I'm guessing is an MRAP wheel. It might also be a HET wheel. I'll go back by there and see what the lug measurements are. I may still buy these two, as the price is right for the new tires. I have another guy who has the HEMTT wheels, so I can swap them out if need be. Will HET wheels fit an M923?

Last edited:

Flatlander

Thanks! I went back by there and measured the lug spacing. These wheels are 10 x 13.25", which definitely won't fit on my M923a2, which is 10 x 11.25".

Another question: If I stay with the stock combat wheels currently on the front of my truck, I understand there will be rubbing with the larger 16.00r20 tires. Are there any modifications that could be made to whatever the tires are rubbing on?

74M35A2

I’m kind of watching this thread, because I bought 2 HEMTT rims for the front of my 9 when switching to 16’s in the spring. I have not looked at anything yet, but why can one not simply move the CTIS assembly over to the HEMTT rim? If it does not fit, use a HEMTT CTIS valve or make a bracket? Is there something I am not considering?

Bhpdbrad

I’m kind of watching this thread, because I bought 2 HEMTT rims for the front of my 9 when switching to 16’s in the spring. I have not looked at anything yet, but why can one not simply move the CTIS assembly over to the HEMTT rim? If it does not fit, use a HEMTT CTIS valve or make a bracket? Is there something I am not considering?
I too am interested in going in this direction... and have wondered the same.

I believe that this will be more and more relevant in the future as the 14 X 20's are in short supply. Those (like myself) with working CTIS systems would like to keep them.

99nouns

It bolts on both the hub and wheel, you might need major modding on the hose that goes to valve, but I dont see why not if you are up to the challenge.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

Vintage iron

I have been building and customizing military trucks full time for about ten years now, most of you are familiar with my work as A&H Recon shop. over the years I have converted a bunch of 5 ton trucks to 1600s. This is what I found. Since M939A2 series trucks have out bound drums you don't need HEMTT rims on the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks