• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF6638.jpgAfter raking all the leaves and cleaning the yard I decided it was time to do a little work on the M1009. That is what I do on Black Friday. DSCF6639.jpgMy assembly error was I attached the rear outer bumper braces before the D ring lifting brackets. DSCF6640.jpgThis is the pieces I failed to install. If you don't have an example they can be a treat to install. Dug out some of my excess 1/2" grade 8 fasteners and got to it. DSCF6642.jpgThe finished results. Painless and with out a foul word spoken. DSCF6643.jpgDSCF6641.jpgThese welded nuts make a difficult job a breeze. I use them when ever I can. They even look nice when I am done. DSCF6644.jpgI guess I can go get some more done. I did manage to sweep the shop and get all my tools put away. I still have taillamps assemblies to install and a hood release cable and latch. Every assembled part counts when you started with a bare frame. Have a Great Day. Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6645.jpgDSCF6646.jpgThings were going so well today I decided to get a few more items off the M1009 to do list. DSCF6647.jpgDSCF6648.jpgDSCF6649.jpgThe tail lamp lenses were original GM Guide lenses. I installed them when I rebuilt and painted the truck back in 2007. I scrubbed them up with Dawn dish soap and an old tooth brush. Good as new. That went along really well so I moved onto getting the fuel filler door rubbers back in place. I grab every rubber bumper from every GM vehicle I see at the YOUPULLIT. I use a small amount of Vaseline and push and twist them back in the hole. It beats painting over the rubbers or taping them up. DSCF6650.jpgDSCF6651.jpgDSCF6652.jpgI never like stenciling any of my trucks. I like to let that up to the new owner. A few parting shots. All the lights work. That is always a plus. I cleaned all the grounds and installed new star grounding washers and lag screws on the grounds. I used the correct tail lamp screws to install the lenses. I also installed the hood latch and release cable. Adjusted the latch so the hood is aligned and greased the hood latch. Next I need to paint some 1/2" carriage bolts and get the rear bumper installed. I am still procrastinating on the instrument cluster. I also must get the man here to install a windshield. I am happy with my results today. I hope it helps someone and I can rest knowing I done a fair amount of work and made great progress. I have some customer vehicles to work on now also. Happy Holidays and Be Safe. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

cucvrus

WOW. Almost 24 hours and nobody has done anything on their CUCV or posted and improvements. When I get to my shop I am going to paint 8 grade 8 carriage bolts Flat Black so I can install the rear bumper on Friday. It may not sound like much but it is a step in the right direction and every step forward counts. I may take the cluster up to the house and clean that. Another advance movement to complete the task and move forward. Happy Holidays. Be Safe and Have Fun doing your own project.

cucvrus

I am going to market it when it is completed. I would like it to go to the Chevrolet dealer showroom for Memorial Day. I have 2 more M1009's after this project and I am retiring from CUCV's. I said that before but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I want a new hobby. Rock Crushing, Firewood cutting, Something easy. HA HA.

dougco1

I am going to market it when it is completed. I would like it to go to the Chevrolet dealer showroom for Memorial Day. I have 2 more M1009's after this project and I am retiring from CUCV's. I said that before but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I want a new hobby. Rock Crushing, Firewood cutting, Something easy. HA HA.
Rick, you had a going out of business sale and retired 2 years ago (something about spending time with the grandchildren). What happened? The grandchildren grow up so you prolonged your retirement?

cucvrus

DSCF6686.jpgAnother coat of paint on my bumper bolts and my evenings work on this project is complete. I turned them all in the bracket so I could get every side evenly. It counts. Getting something done is getting something done. Beats getting nothing at all completed. Be Safe. I hope to have a helper tomorrow to hold the rear bumper in place while I install the bolts.

cucvrus

DSCF6699.jpgThat was easy. It is 10AM and I have met my CUCV goal of the day. I have a woodsplitting job I must complete today off site. That puts the CUCV adventures on back burner for now. Just remember the pintle hitch assembly goes on before the rear bumper face bar. I had a moment this AM after having the face bar on. Reverse rethink and redo. I used all new Grade 8 Hardware and upfitted all the hitch fasteners to 1/2" from 7/16". Why because I have them in stock and it seemed like the thing to do. Barret Jackson buyers may catch it but I doubt it. All the bolts fell into place no foul language or prying needed. Thank you to my friend for holding everything off the finished surfaces while I tightened and aligned things. Now off to the wood lot with my Yanmar diesel splitter. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. It's a Simple Task. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

After being rained on all day today and yesterday I needed a break. Breaking the John Deere 710C backhoe mast was not the break I was looking for. But it happens and it is fixed again. I was tried and wet. I wanted to get at least one thing done on my Decade project. I went to tighten the bumper and hitch and remembered I need to make a new drawbar for the pintle hitch. I had bought 2 lengths of the 1" x 1 1/2" tubing a few years back and cut it all to M1009 length. I used the fuel tank projects drawbar as a template and drilled the 6 holes out to 1/2" they were 7/16" stock. I have lots of 1/2" grade 8 flange bolts and they are paid for. I use them on everything I can. Just a thought for everyone. Check that drawbar tube. I see many rusted thru and very thin. It is worth changing and an easy job that requires little time and energy. Break or cut the old bolts off. I even sanded my bar and of course I cleaned primed and painted it. It is hung out to dry. Happy Holidays. Be Safe. A little at a time gets the job done.

Attachments

cucvrus

Happy Holidays to All. I have been doing a lot of clean up and attempting to organize my vast stash of parts. I came across things I forgot I had. Tailgates and a perfect camo CUCV hood that was stashed in the back grain room of my barn for 15 years. I remembered it when I found it. I saved it because it was about the only original GM camo factory hood that came off a CUCV. It was from my Little Red M1009 that I have stashed. I also gathered the tempered rear gate glass that I have and packaged it for safe keeping. I have the dark tint I removed from my current decade build and a matrix tinted glass I salvaged from a 1991 civilian K5 that I scrapped out in parts. It has the tiny printed dots on the glass. I am off work the next 2 weeks and want to make some progress on many projects. getting the M1009 stashed away for the winter is one of them. I will post pictures as I complete the tasks. Getting the dreaded cluster back in the dash is one of the tasks I have in mind. hoping for a rainy day project. But also wishing rain away during my off time. Happy Holidays. Be Safe and Enjoy the Holidays. I posted the picture of the dot matrix rear glass.

Attachments

cucvrus

Day 1 of my 10 days off work. I am having a grand old time. I have found parts and pieces I had forgotten I had. Lots of nice stuff. I have been buying a lot of this stuff because I was so piled in that I could not see the stuff. I did a few call outs for some free parts. I found an entire steel bin full of CUCV clevises. I found a perfect right door and 2 new fenders. I found the gate and front fenders for my Red Riding Hood M1009. I placed the gate in the M1009 and will get some help to stash all the extra body parts upstairs in the barn. I also am building shelves in the back room and getting a lot of things organized and sorted out. You can see the new shelves in the NTV right door picture. I have 12 more feet of shelves to build on the opposite side of the room. That was going to be my man cave. I had it cleaned out and ready to remodel. I think I will build a man cave upstairs in the barn when I retire. I had wanted to use the barn to make a house but that turned into a major hassle with utilities. Well Lunch is over. I got's to get back to my crib. I have more toys to find. Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

Anybody that was ever in my barn knows the piles of parts and other material I have stored in out of the weather. I am off work till 1/6/2020 and I have been using my time getting things organized, I moved several tons of parts and under the pile I found a TH400 from a CUCV. Not sure what type it was from but it has the last 8 of the VIN on it. Anyone know? CEF164032 I know it was there a long time. Over 20 years. The GM dealer closed at noon and I just missed them. Happy Holidays. Be Safe.

Attachments

cucvrus

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS LLC 1G8ED18JCEF164032

Vehicle Type: PASSENGER CAR

Model Year: 1984

Make: CHEVROLET

Model: Military Truck

Body Class: Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV)/Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV)

I made up the VIN from another M1009 I had the glove box out of. I think that is accurate. The glove box I have is 1G8ED18J5GF200306. 1986 M1009.

Happy Holidays. Lunch is over back to work. Be Safe .

cucvrus

This is the first time in 20 years that I have everything in my center bay put away and the entire bay swept clean. I have been working in the barn all week cleaning, organizing and sorting thru parts. I have all the body parts on the second floor and neatly stored. I scrapped a few body parts and discarded a lot of cardboard boxes and built 30 ft of shelves. That made a huge difference. Red Riding Hood has a clean organized home now. I am planning on keeping it that way. The next 2 days I am working on more shelves and getting my main work bay cleaned and organized. I have room to put 12 more ft of shelving and getting it so I can get my work area much more efficient. I never sprung for a big tool box and always worked out of 3 top boxes and metal cabinets. Little Red is happier now. I know I am. I still have 10 days to go. I want to get the 3 M1010 bodies emptied out and my com shelter. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. That is a fire blanket in the box on the roof. It will be gone from there tomorrow.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks