Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29

Thread: 1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,153 Times in 2,776 Posts

DSCF5682.jpgDSCF5683.jpgDSCF5684.jpgDSCF5685.jpgThis AM a friend stopped over for coffee after church and was interested in my K5 project. We quickly went down to the barn and peeled all the plastic from the body. One thing led to another and we winched the body back onto the cart and spun it 180*. Then we winched it tight up against the ceiling and pushed the chassis up into place. With the 2 of us and the floor jack we were able get the chassis parallel to the body. I then jacked the body back down 1 click at a time and was able to move the body cart back down into the tree line. Very handy cart. Don't know if I will ever use it again. May end up scrapped like my cab cart. DSCF5686.jpgDSCF5687.jpgLooking pretty good and all done before lunch time. I have to clean up 6 of the body mount cones/bushings and 6 of the bottom flat washers. I have a lot upstairs in the barn that I took apart back when they were 10 years old. So that should be no problem. Picture 5 of 6 the frame has a lot of rust dust on it. I should have washed and waxed it before I slipped it under there. Maybe some other day. Have a Great Day. I have reached tomorrows task and goal already. So I am way ahead of Schedule. Next week it should be seated and loose on the frame. I will not be able to tighten it down till the fenders, hood, and radiator support are properly aligned. After that and it is running and drivable I am setting down for a long winters nap. Back in the corner with the M1009. I have lots of room in my shop again. Maybe I can set the wood stove in place. But I still have a 6.2 HMMWV engine setting in the shop. Saving it for retirement.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

Digger09 (11-18-2018), emeralcove (11-13-2018), firefox (11-11-2018), german m1008 (11-11-2018), ke6axc (11-11-2018), marchplumber (11-14-2018), Rutjes (11-12-2018), tinindian (Yesterday)

Thanks

DSCF5688.jpgDSCF5689.jpgToday after work I completed a few tasks on my M1009 project. I reinstalled 1/4 panel filler panels. DSCF5690.jpgDSCF5691.jpgI sorted thru my Energy Suspension body mount kit. I cleaned and painted the steel factory body mounts. They get used over again. I also cleaned and painted the bottom washers for the cab mounts and installed the muffler heat shields that I painted also. I had them off to clean and under coat and wanted something other then black. I sprayed them with Dull Aluminum. That was the popular color tonight. They look great. I used my torx head truss 5/16" bolts to attach everything. They work well and replace the worn hardware. Used never seize on all my bolts. DSCF5693.jpgDSCF5692.jpgDSCF5694.jpgDSCF5695.jpgAn hour spent cleaning and painting is worth it every time. The body mounts are RED but that don't matter to me. The old ones are soft and rusty from 30 years of use. I want to set my body in place but I am going over every thing underneath and making sure I have everything right. The fuel filler hose is 1 5/8" and I am going to have to buy new. I cut the old one. Oh well. I know I can find some. I should have thought before I cut. I was thinking it was 1 3/4". Surprise. Have a Great Day.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

D6T (11-14-2018), firefox (11-15-2018), marchplumber (11-14-2018), rtk (11-14-2018)

Thanks

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1-5...SABEgL-ZPD_BwE

I have been searching for the 1 5/8" fuel filler hose that runs from the filler neck to the tank. My search is over. Less then $20. delivered to my door. Sold by the inch. Shipping was about as much as the hose. Can't weave a hose. I spent 2 hours removing an M1009 fuel tank and the hose was that hard it was cracking. Not worth my time and effort for the $20. item. But may I remind you the M1008/Pickup CUCV hose is NOT going to be available. So be careful when working around your CUCV truck filler neck hoses. I had a few of them that were cracked at the elbow and leaked fuel. I was fortunate and had a few new ones. They are all gone now. So used is going to be the only option. Just thought I would mention it. This fuel filler hose is the only thing holding me from setting the body down on the frame. I will need to find a few more things to clean and paint till the hose arrives. The radiator support looks like a good place to start. That and the power steering pump and V belts. Have Great Day. Waiting for a pending snow storm here in the northeast. If it don't come I won't miss it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

emeralcove (11-15-2018), firefox (11-15-2018), ke6axc (11-15-2018), rtk (11-15-2018)

Thanks

DSCF5691.jpgDSCF5698.jpgDSCF5700.jpgDSCF5701.jpgDSCF5702.jpgDSCF5705.jpgDSCF5706.jpgOK. So it snowed and it made a real mess of things. My schedule is all messed up and I was out all night plowing from Thursday till Friday. Thank you to the misc. member here or on Facebook that sent me the fuel filler hose in the mail. Much thanks. Don't know who you are. Nice. I still have a new one coming but with the donor hose I was able to mount the body back on the frame today and get the new cab mounts in place. I did need the Wife to put the back 2 mounts in place. That is a very tight area. I also did some redesign to the rear bumper outer brackets with some cage nuts. Everything is coming along well. I was able to mount the radiator support, Fan shroud and attend a holiday parade. So it was a busy day from sun up. DSCF5696.jpgDSCF5697.jpgDSCF5703.jpgDSCF5704.jpgThe M1009 sits real nice with the 4 new stock springs on it. Next I want to get the radiator in and hooked up. I have an original GM Harrison replacement radiator. It is the plastic aluminum type. That is my all time favorite style of radiator. Over the years with plow trucks and other personal vehicles I have had less trouble with them. I think I can have this vehicle running as early as December 1, 2018. I think that is a reasonable goal. All the body mounts are just snug. Not tight. I will tighten them once the fenders, hood and body is all aligned. It is sitting where it set when I left it off the winches. That was easy. 1 click at a time and it was as easy as that with a winch bar. I will be using them winches much more now for cleaning out under tractor mower decks. Much safer then a floor jack and I can basically stand it on it tail. What could go wrong. The barn could collapse. I doubt that will happen. Take care have a Great Weekend and stay warm. The snow is melting quickly here. And I think I can live with the RED cab mounts. I hardly think it matters what color they are. DSCF5617.jpgThis part number will get you a complete set. I used all grade 8 bolts, flat washers, and nuts. Actually serrated flange nuts on the rear 4 mounts. They are very special mounts. Sorry they are the transmission mounts part number. I posted the correct body mount part number also.
    Last edited by cucvrus; 11-17-2018 at 19:16.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

acthomp781 (11-17-2018), D6T (11-17-2018), Digger09 (11-18-2018), firefox (11-17-2018), ke6axc (11-17-2018), rtk (11-18-2018), tinindian (Yesterday)

Thanks

DSCF5636.jpgWell lets just say the Cadillac was a massive fail for me in the 2 weeks I have it. The third day I had it I was hit by another motorist that didn't like to yield to stopped traffic. They drove out of a parking lot and crossed diagonally across both lanes to go straight. When the light changed they put it in reverse and hit me on the left corner. NOT massive damage but several $K to fix. On Thursday night I was stuck in the driveway and had to get out and push and pull the vehicle. Friday was a mess also. So time to break out the CUCV. 1987 M1028. I had it at the transmission shop and it needed a vacuum valve on the injection pump. Drives and shifts like new. I noticed it had a bad bulb in the left turn signal. Yes the bulbs were marbled. No tail lamp gasket. I then went about freeing up the pintle hook so I could open and close it. No use having a 4WD if you can't hook up the Bubba Rope. One thing led to another and I was cleaning out the bed and putting a rubber mat down in it. Putting 4 clevises on it. I will be putting an LED projection license plate lamp on the rear bumper. But the Cadillac went to the body shop today and the CUCV is here to stay until I get my new truck that I ordered back in July. The Cadillac was a good buy and I drove it for 2 weeks. It will be nice to drive in spring but maybe I will sell it by then. The Cadillac is rear wheel drive. If it were front wheel drive it may have worked out. Have a Great Day.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

D6T (11-18-2018), firefox (11-18-2018), german m1008 (11-18-2018), rtk (11-18-2018)

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29