• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

When I went home for lunch I opened the doors on the barn to let some air flow in. I have grass to mow today and will do some more painting after I get done with that. Watching paint dry is a very dull job. And waiting and rushing it makes matters worse. Best just leave it alone and let it dry in what ever time required. I see my post are now being subjected to Grammar checks. I am OK with that. I knows what's I mean whiles I is writing it. Sometime things just get lost in translation. But you all get the gist of it. Have a Great Day. I hope to make some more progress today after work. I will be sure to keep you posted. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Last night was a productive evening. I was able to get all the grass BAG mowed. After neglecting my duties that was the only way to get things back to excellence. I have all the parts painted and back in the barn. After walking the 2 acres I was tired and ready to rest. The camera was in the house and the parts setting out with wet paint on them was very uneventful. It was all green and more green. The stones outside the shop door look very Halloweeny. Green from CUCV parts and Orange from Kubota parts. A few other colors on the stones but it makes the grand kids happy to collect all the different colors. I hope to get the cowl and hood on before the weekend and next week it is onto a roof. I have decided against the dark glass and roof rack roof that was on the M1009 when I disassembled it. I will be marketing that setup complete. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6479.jpgFigured out a way to paint the truck without painting the under laying plastic cowl screen. When painted just pull it out. Seems logical.
DSCF6476.jpgDSCF6477.jpgDSCF6478.jpgAfter moving this Red/Yellow hood around my shop for 10 years I am finally able to give it a permanent attachment. I have the hood installed and adjusted. Suits me and I am fussy. I also have the lower filler panel installed and all bolted fast. Great progress. Next on the agenda is to get a roof in the shop and get it sanded. That will not happen till next week. I am happy with the painted bumpers, grille and trim pieces. I must wrap up the bumpers in some blankets and store them before they get damaged. I have a lot of things to keep me busy at the moment. No shortage of projects. Have a Great Weekend and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6480.jpgDSCF6482.jpgDSCF6483.jpgToday I had to muster the troops. I had to get an M1009 roof off the roof of an M1010 body and on the stands. I made the call for manpower and the roof was there when I got home. My Sons came thru. I sprayed the inside down with Simple Green and scrubbed all the crud from the sills and inside rubbers. I also sprayed the inside of the inner structure out and it was full of dirt. I wanted a bone stock roof that has never been painted. This has the factory paint and has been stored outside for 20 years. Makes for a lot easier sanding. I will be replacing all the seals on this top they are basically all crumbling to dust. I have Genuine GM roof seals I have been saving for such a day. I used some LMC ones in the past and they are less than desirable results on the upper seals at the cab. I have taken the roof in the barn and it needs to dry out well. When we moved it today water came from the window rubbers. DSCF6481.jpgAs you can see that rubber is not going to make the cut. But all is well and that was an easy step in the right direction without doing a lot of CUCV work for the past few days. Have a Great Day. Be Safe and Enjoy the pleasant weather we are having. Winter will soon be upon us.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF6484.jpgToday after work I did manage to get a few hours to work on my M1009 project. The roof has a slight chip out of the right front lower corner. I am going to be filling in the holes in the front sides anyway so this is just a minor glitch. DSCF6486.jpgDSCF6485.jpgDSCF6487.jpgDSCF6493.jpgI cleaned up the area and used DSCF6494.jpgon it. I will let it dry till Monday and work on shaping it and getting the holes filled in. I am going to use Rage body filler to finish and fill the holes. DSCF6488.jpgDSCF6489.jpgI removed and discarded the rear window seal in the top. When you do remove the rubbers make sure all the small metal clips come out. They are easy to get out if they stay stuck DSCF6491.jpgDSCF6492.jpgAlso the seams will need a seam sealer to replace the original sealer that has cracked and fallen out. I began sanding the top and called it a night. Working 2 jobs at the moment and getting things down on several fronts. Have a Great Weekend and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6484.jpgStarted like this on Friday. DSCF6493.jpgEnded like this on Friday before I called it a night. Left it dry/harden over the weekend.DSCF6496.jpgFinished the sanding and filled in the antenna holes. DSCF6497.jpgDSCF6499.jpgDSCF6500.jpgI am happy with the results. I have used JB Weld in the past to fix some tough spots. It grinds and sands very easy and is stronger than the body filler and less work than fiberglass matting and gel coat. I will do some more sanding tomorrow night and I have new GM seals for the top. The front one looks like a real JOY to install. I am game. If it takes 1 day to do it I will take a day to do it. Just so it is right. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6506.jpgDSCF6507.jpgMore steps in the right direction were acheived tonight. DSCF6502.jpgDSCF6505.jpgI sanded the entire hood on the outside. It had a lot of crud on it and it is in near perfect condition for an old township truck hood. DSCF6501.jpgDSCF6503.jpgDSCF6504.jpgI got some help and flipped the roof over and removed all the lower sill seals and cleaned the surfaces for installing new seals. The roof is white under the seals just like all of the roofs. I had heard tell that StarCraft made the K5 Blazer roofs back in the day. I heard that from a GM representative when we had sealing issues on new civilian models. I am NOT carving that in stone but just wanted to mention it. I know GM and StarCraft were involved in many projects over the years. I dug out a set of Genuine GM roof seals. Time to stop hoarding parts and put them to use. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. Thank you for looking and your support on this and my other projects. If it is not fun. Stop doing it. I am still doing it. But I pace myself.

cucvrus

Tonight was a clean the shop and put all the tools away night. It started out with me putting the front bumper braces on the frame and I could not find a socket so I put 1 on and stopped and cleaned the entire shop ansd went outside and cleaned up some debris and scrap that had accumulated. It had to be done and I was just the guy to do it. unbadgered I can get a lot done. I did manage to miss place the rear bumper center brackets and draw bar. No problem. I know I have them somewhere. I just dug out another set of brackets and will get them sandblasted and painted. I do not need them yet anyway and I did find a lot of things I forgot I had while looking. Good Stuff. Thats what happens when you live at the same place for over 30 yeras and have several out buildings and sheds. So I will try again Friday. I need to glue the new seals on but wanted some help with that task. Fair enough. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. No pictures tonight. Use your imagination.

cucvrus

DSCF6508.jpgDSCF6509.jpgDSCF6510.jpgAfter a week away from my project I was able to get the needed help to install the new weather strips onto the M1009 rear roof. After I had help and all the surfaces clean it took less than and hour to properly install the new seals. That and them being Genuine GM seals made the job much easier. I have used the LMC seals before on customer supplied parts for customers vehicles. These seals fit like a comfortable sock. Next I must clean up the shop and remove all the parts I have stored in the cargo area of the M1009 so I can set the roof in place. I am NOT sure I can get this painted before winter sets in but I am OK with that. I want to get it in paint but also don't want to rush and mess up a job that I have been so careful and involved in from start to finish. Be Safe and Have a Great Week. More later as it happens. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

DSCF6512.jpgDSCF6513.jpgDSCF6511.jpgDSCF6514.jpgLuck was with me today. I had enough time to focus on my M1009's and I was actually able to start both and let them run for about a 1/2 hour. Both started with no issues. The wait light and then fired up on the first crank. Both have stock everything. I removed all the pre-painted parts from the cargo area of my current build.
I wrapped them all up in cardboard and blankets and stored them in Red Riding Hood in the center bay of my barn. I also included Red Riding Hood in my engine exercise today. Started and ran flawlessly.DSCF6515.jpgDSCF6516.jpgDSCF6517.jpgDSCF6518.jpgI have safely and carefully wrapped and stored my painted parts. Not sure if I will need them this year anymore. But it gets them out of harms way and I can proceed on my current project. DSCF6519.jpgDSCF6520.jpgThis is Red Riding Hood M1009. I will be doing a thread on that project when it becomes time. It has been stored in the barn for over 20 years. Strange thing is both my M1009's have the cluster removed with no Generator lights and they charge perfectly as designed. DSCF6521.jpgI use this cluster and volt meter to check them and it is accurate. I checked it with my Fluke. I also scrubbed the inside of the M1009 fiberglass roof and cleaned it. I am happy with the end results and feel repainting it inside is a waste of time and energy. DSCF6522.jpgIt is still a little wet in the picture but you can see it is in great condition inside. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. Thank you for looking. More to come as it happens.

cucvrus

DSCF6527.jpgI had some help and moved the M1009 roof outside. I started the M1009 and drove it outside so I could get the roof mounted back on the truck. DSCF6529.jpgDSCF6530.jpgThe roof is back on and that was the goal for the night. DSCF6531.jpgThe garage has been swept clean and the winches have been removed from ceiling beams. They would be nice head knockers during the final painting process. I should be able to get it sanded in about 4 hours at this point. DSCF6532.jpgDSCF6533.jpgThe M1009 is back in the garage and I have work away from home for the weekend. Monday looks like the next time I will get to work on the project. I had a set of seats from a 2013 Silverado Pickup that was converted to fire service. The center seat would be a very easy update in an M1009 and makes a nice arm rest and cup holder with open top storage. I am NOT going to do it but while I was cleaning out my lower barn I came across the center seat and passengers seat. I used the drivers seat in a friends 2008 Chevrolet truck. They were brand new take outs. DSCF6534.jpgDSCF6535.jpgHave a Great Weekend and Be Safe. Thank you for looking. More progress later.

cucvrus

DSCF6540.jpgDSCF6536.jpgDSCF6538.jpgDSCF6539.jpgNot much excitement here. I spent the evening sanding the M1009 in preparation for paint. That was easy enough. I also reattached the roof with all the fasteners. That is a step in the right direction. A bit more sanding and hand sanding and it will be time to clean and mask the entire vehicle. I am removing the wheels when it comes time for painting. It also has a lot of taping and sealing to keep overspray from the frame and areas I spent a lot of time detailing. Have a Safe Day and Enjoy the Nice weather we are having. I will post more as it happens. Hoping to make more progress tomorrow after work.

cucvrus

Tonight I finished the sanding and hand sanded the entire vehicle. DSCF6541.jpgDSCF6542.jpgDSCF6543.jpgAfter that I removed the wheels and tires and set it down on jack stands. Now comes the tape up and prep for paint. I want to tape and paper to the floor on this job. I hope to have a few fair warm days to get this sealed and painted. No rush job after all this work. I am going to tape off my new roof rubbers the best I can. I want to make cardboard to put in the window holes. Maybe paper. Depends how much help I can get from Family. Have a Great Day Be Safe. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

DSCF6544.jpgDSCF6545.jpgDSCF6546.jpgDSCF6547.jpgNot much excitement. The M1009 is all taped and papered ready for paint. The paint and sealer is out on the bench. T'was the night before painting and all thru the barn. The Rooster was crowing and the papering was done. The paint was on the work bench in cans. You get the jest. DSCF6548.jpg the new Harbor Freight gun was still in the box. Lets see what the next few days bring with warm temperatures. More posting later as it happens. Be Safe. Enjoy the Weekend.

cucvrus

Nope. It's NOT going to happen today. Ice on the windshield and away from home work till dark. I have NO heat in the barn and I want to keep it that way for now. Heat will be coming but not while painting. Tomorrow MAYBE. I will keep you posted. I have a full schedule. Stay Safe and Happy. Thank you for looking. I hope it helps you out on your project.

cucvrus

DSCF6549.jpgDSCF6550.jpgDSCF6551.jpgDSCF6552.jpgOne must capture the moment. After some contemplating and nay saying it was thought best to start the job. Just started out as a simple caulking of the seams on the fiberglass top. Had a friend offer to help out and in went from there. Not painted but sealed and that is a big step in the right direction. If all else fails. Phone a friend. DSCF6553.jpgDSCF6554.jpgDSCF6555.jpgDSCF6556.jpgIt's out there in the dark barn. And it is dry to the touch. What-has-been-sqwdbrseen.jpgHave a Great Day. Be Safe and do it right. The extra time and effort always pays off. No rush to complete. Thank you.

cucvrus

This AM is 10* warmer than yesterday. With a little luck I can get this task completed today. Family and friends have offered to help and the pictures are all ready to get the factory 3 color woodland camo pattern done. I always liked the factory look with no camo on the trim, brush guard or bumpers. My fingers are crosssed and I will be multi tasking but I hope to have great success in getting this completed. Then let is freeze, snow and blow. I can reassemble in cold weather. As long as I am not wet. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. Good Luck on getting your projects completed.

cucvrus

With the heavy rain and cooler temperatures came a need to get a bit of heat in the garage bay of the barn. I was away from home working and the Wife made things nice and cozy warm. I was released from duty early today so I came home and with a friends help it was on. DSCF6564.jpgDSCF6562.jpgDSCF6563.jpgDSCF6561.jpgDSCF6566.jpgDSCF6565.jpgAnd that went so well. The time had come to decide. Was it Green or Camouflage. Wife liked the green but was willing to compromise with me. It will be Camouflage. DSCF6569.jpgDSCF6570.jpgDSCF6568.jpgDSCF6567.jpgDSCF6571.jpgDSCF6575.jpgDSCF6574.jpgDSCF6573.jpgDSCF6572.jpgAll done. Now I can get some rest for a few days. I am going to let it set and dry. It will take a little longer than normal due to the cooler temperatures. I am OK with that. Easter Find M1008 was the last full paint job done in the barn. This Black and Brown came out of the same cans. Take Care and Be Safe. Thank You for looking the support is appreciated. Now let it snow, sleet and rain. I am ready. I will wait till next week to start pulling tape, paper, and plastic. Playing it safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks