• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF5505.jpgDSCF5506.jpgDSCF5507.jpgI started out my day with a short block upside down. I pulled the perfect running engine and removed the heads as a precaution and had them gone over at a automotive machine shop as I outlined earlier in my thread. Cleaning and painting everything as I go can be time consuming but rewarding at the same time. DSCF5508.jpgDSCF5509.jpgDSCF5510.jpgBottom end all complete. new water pump, fuel pump. Time to flip it over 180* and complete the top end. More cleaning and painting. Along with rebuilt heads and new head bolts. I retained the push rods in the original configuration for reassembly. Came in for lunch and thought I would share my progress. Have a Great Day. More progress later.

cucvrus

DSCF5512.jpgDSCF5511.jpgOK after lunch this is how I am going to start out. After getting some help flipping the engine over I am ready to go at it again. I have my rebuilt heads/head bolts and new parts all ready to install. I will post more progress later. Have a Great Day. It was raining earlier today again. Now the sun is out so time to get back to work. DSCF5513.jpgI have the dots in my valley also. I know someone thought that made the engine special. I am going to get the date code and post it later. I think it is the original engine to the M1009. It had 3300 miles on it when I bought it in 1995.

cucvrus

DSCF5526.jpgOh JOY and Happiness. I called NAPA and ordered the parts. They delivered them to me. All the parts are made in China except the axle flange seals and the differential cover gasket. I sure hope main land China. Who cares? They fit perfectly and the truck is back on the road and ready for wood cutting duty again. The right rear brake looks like it was nearly in flames. I knew it has been dragging on occasion. All 3 cables have been changed and that was the key. All 3 cables were pretty much locked up tight. DSCF5530.jpgDSCF5527.jpgDSCF5531.jpgDSCF5532.jpgDSCF5533.jpgDSCF5534.jpgDSCF5535.jpgI hope you have a Great Day. And remember. It don't matter where the replacement parts are made. As long as the fit and function. I bought NOS M1009 rear brake drums from DRMO back in 1996 and they were double packaged in foil lined bags and when I opened the boxes. The drums were made in China. I still have a pair of the new drums. And stacks of the original drums that I get cut if I want/need a set of rear drums. I never had the rear drums off of this M1028. It is a 1987 model. Let it Snow and get cold. I am ready for it now.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF5536.jpgTonight I needed to step back and reflect a bit. I was working looking for tools and stumping over empty bins and parts boxes. Time to clean up. After a bag of trash and a 1/2 pick up load of cardboard I am ready to progress on the project on Friday. DSCF5536.jpgDSCF5538.jpgIn case anyone wants the NAPA part numbers. Here you go. These are a perfect fit for all the truck models. They are made in China but it never bothered me. It is a steel cable and gets pulled back and forth. DSCF5537.jpgAll the card board was sent to a nearby recycling facility to help keep the planet green. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5502.jpgI am going to live a bit risky. I am going to drop off the M1028 at a Pennsylvania Inspection station and see if it passes the ridged inspection process. Pennsylvania has one of the toughest safety inspections. I think all is well. I suspect a new set of wiper blades will be needed. But that is fine. Fingers crossed. Driving without tags and no inspection works good around here with the Gap so close by. But I have a few further runs to do to get some wood this Fall. I will report back. I am going to get it serviced while it is in for inspection. Don't like the messy job for the price they charge for service it is a bargain. Can hardly buy the oil/filter and spend the time. They will have it up on the lift makes a win win out of it. Have a Great Day. Can't wait till the snow starts flying. If the summer rain is an indication of snow fall. We are in for a dandy Winter.

cucvrus

DSCF5539.jpgCleaned up my drive way and cut up the bent M1009 frame for scrap.DSCF5540.jpg All cut up. All the brackets are still salvageable. DSCF5542.jpg Neatly stored out of my way. Have a Great Day. It was wonderful weather today. I got a lot of outside get ready for winter work completed. Added a few parts too the CUCV engine just so I got something completed on that project.

cucvrus

DSCF5547.jpgDSCF5548.jpgDSCF5550.jpgDSCF5555.jpgDSCF5556.jpgMy least favorite part of the entire build. The exhaust system. It was brand new back in 2007 but setting has made it rust. Nothing is rusted thru but I am not fond of the hangers the shop installed. They will need to be gone. I am not a fan of the 5" tips either. They may stay for now. It sounds really good I do know that. My Son liked it and I was OK with it when he was driving it. Funny when I look at the front pipes and they are 3 inch necked down to 2 1/4" at the manifolds. But that was an easy night. I have plans to correct the wrongs on the pipes. Maybe. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5556.jpgDSCF5557.jpgDSCF5558.jpgDSCF5559.jpgDSCF5560.jpgTonight was a slow to show progress but I got a few things completed that needed to be done. Every move forward is a slight path to the end product. I replaced all the 3/4" loom on the light wiring harness. I fixed the P clips that hold the light wiring harness to the frame. Cleaned and painted the clips and replaced 2 of them. I may have added a few also. But the harness has been re-taped and loomed front to back. New CDR valve. After that I called it a night. I was lucky and picked up 4 used freebie tires at the tire shop in the stock 10.5 X 31 X 15 size. That is what the truck will get when I reach that point. An S10 ZR2 truck was at the shop for tires. Lucky score. I can use these on my next builds. I mounted them on civilian rally wheels. I have a day off for family night this weekend the driveline will be in the frame. Moving right along. Have a Great Day and be safe. And I did manage to find a few new exhaust stud springs in an old bin from back in the mid 90's. Some day I will have to sort thru my spare bolts and parts. I have some used parts that have been stashed for over 20 years. They look great in comparison to the stuff that has been in service all that time.

cucvrus

DSCF5561.jpgAs I started today. DSCF5562.jpgDSCF5563.jpgDSCF5564.jpgDSCF5565.jpgIt was a cold rainy day. I did manage to get some work done. Made a lot of floor space in my shop. My seasonal goal has not been met yet. DSCF5567.jpgDSCF5568.jpgDSCF5569.jpgI installed the used tires and rally wheels on the chassis. Next I want to get the fuel tank cleaned up and undercoated. That is a dirty job. But someone has to do it. I need a nice day to set up my parts outside for under coating. I did see that the spots on the lens makes the spots in the pictures. I will try harder to remember that. Have a Great Day. I am done for the day. The wire cup brush does a nice job at cleaning up the fuel tank and radiator support. I think I will have a few good days to set up outside for under coating.

cucvrus

DSCF5570.jpgNice shaft man. That is gone. I replaced the rear U joint, sanded and painted the rear shaft. Same as the front drive shaft. I sanded and painted it also. Before I done that I replaced the drive shaft boot and greased the CV joint. If you have never greased your CV joint I suggest it get greased. DSCF5571.jpgThe CV fitting where the grease is apply under pressure. DSCF5572.jpgThe special CV grease adapter that fits on the standard grease gun. DSCF5573.jpgDSCF5574.jpgHung the drive shafts from the tree one at a time and painted them after servicing them. DSCF5575.jpgDSCF5576.jpgDSCF5577.jpgDSCF5578.jpgI re-loomed the engine wiring harness and also re-taped all the areas that are taped. Installed the wiring harness on the engine, transmission dipstick and vacuum line to the transmission. I also installed the transmission cooling lines, the belt crank shifter linkage and the transfer case shift linkage. Managed to get a lot done after work today. It was nice inside the shop. Fuel lines hooked up, return lines. Just seemed like the pieces were falling together tonight. Hopeful to continue with my progress. Looks like I can get some spraying done outside the next few days. Need that done to continue. DSCF5579.jpgDSCF5580.jpgThe last 2 pictures are as I left my project tonight. Thank you for looking I hope it helps you with your project.

cucvrus

DSCF5581.jpgDSCF5582.jpgDSCF5583.jpgDSCF5584.jpgToday I spent my time cleaning up parts for undercoating. It is supposed to be 70* tomorrow. Not many nice days like that left this year. Time to get out the undercoating gun and spray outside. Messy job but it needs done. Always comes out nice. I wire wheeled the tank and core support. I used a can blaster on the corners of the support. No rust thru and looks really nice. Have a Great Day. The core support bolts are 5" X 1/2" 13.

cucvrus

Today is family day and I checked all my parts. It was a bright sunny day and everything is dry and nice looking. I did manage to break the ground wire off the sending unit when I removed it from the tank. No problem. I will drill the ground tab and attach the new ground wire with a screw and star washer. It will do the same with out replacing the entire sending unit. I did replace the fuel tank and sending unit back in the late 90's. I will post more progress tomorrow. I did carry an M1008 on my forklift today. This is the one that was wrecked back in September. It was just like DRMO all over again. Now I see why it is a handy way to move them. Have a Good Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks