• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

Today after work was NOt a total waste. It was cold but I decided that each day I need to get something completed. Today I didn't make great leaps and bounds but I still accomplished more by working 2 hours then watching the inside of my eyelids on the sofa.
Todays list and I checked it twice. Nothing was naughty everything went nice.
1.) Steering shaft from column to steering unit installed.
2.) small static leak on top radiator hose tightened upper clamp and leak ceased.
3.) Installed fuel filler cup and filler neck with hoses.
4.) Installed the front brake lines that run from master cylinder to front proportioning valve.
The brake lines were bonus points for me. I was going to quit at 2 things but felt the positive vibes working in the cold. I still did some leaf raking and feed the squirrels. I left my rake oyt 2 weeks in a row. no one has come and stolen it. I never had a shovel or rake stolen from me. Must be it don't fit anyone else. Happy Holidays. Tomorrow I have enough to do going in the right direction.

cucvrus

Today after work was another success. I came home and dumped 5 gallons of diesel in the truck fuel tank from a plastic 5 gallon military can. I set the batteries up in and hooked them up. I turned the key everything lit. The wait light came on. I shut off the key and removed the 20 amp engine control fuse to disable the glow plugs. I cranked it for 10 seconds and went around and put some power steering fluid in the reservoir. I cranked it ten more seconds and seen fuel dripping at the fuel filter. Not the bleeder but non the less it was at the filter already. The big clamp on the feed hose was snapped from being over tight. I replaced the clamp and cranked it again. I opened the bleeder on the filter and cranked it again 10 seconds. Fuel shot out. I was by myself so it went slow. I went around and looked for leaks and checked some fluids again. Crank it for 10 more seconds and the fuel was dripping on the exhaust manifolds. Keeping in mind it was 30* and I was out in a barn. I went and tightened all the nozzle nuts and reinstalled the 20 amp engine control fuse. I glowed the glow plugs turned the key less then 5 seconds and it fired a bit. I double checked for leaks and making sure everything was clear. Went back in glow it and cranked it till it fired in about 5 seconds of cranking. No oil light both alternator lights were off and it was on fast idle. My garage was full of smoke so I open all the doors and went in and double checked everything. Everything was good. When it kicked off hi idle I checked the transmission fluid and added a bit till it was on the end of the stick. I crawled under and pumped the transfer case full on fluid. I moved to the axles and filled both axles with gear oil. The power steering was puking fluid a bit and not being cooperative. At that moment it bled the air out and stopped whining the power steering was working again. I still have no brakes so I don't dare put it in gear. I filled the master cylinder reservoir and went underneath again while it was running with my trusty spot light. Eye balling everything. I seen no issues, leaks or anything I needed to concern myself about at this point. I increased the rpm's a few times and it sounded great. The smoke was gone and the exhaust smell was still there. Common on a old 6.2 in a semi closed area. I shut it off disconnected the batteries and closed everything up for the night. I was psyched. Great goal. Now I need to bleed the brakes. My mini mighty vac will be the key to that. Less mess no fuss. Happy Holidays. I would like to pull it outside clean the shop and tuck it away for a long winters nap. Fingers crossed. Baby it's cold outside.

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations !!! it is always a sweet deal when something you have labored on fires up for the first time !!!! :goodjob: BTW , Merry Christmas !!! stay safe , Bob k

cucvrus

indexAll hooked up and ready to go..jpgTime to bleed the brakes. And also I purchased an original A C Delco radiator cap from the local GM dealer. It list for $17. and cost me a few cents south of $10. A C Delco RC27 GM part number 10409635. Genuine GM part from the GM dealer. Made in India. Works for me. I was hoping it was Katmandu but what the heck. It's Christmas time and I hope to share the wealth. It's a radiator cap. It was cheaper then looking for one and it matches the plastic aluminum Harrison GM radiator. How could I ask for more? Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

After a hard day of play in the barn I did manage to get the brakes bled out and the new E-brake cable installed up front in the cab to the rear cables. I did have to phone a Friend to come help me. I also drove the M1009 out of the barn on its own power. And drove it up the drive way in 4 LO so it shifted thru the gears. Runs great. Back it all the way into the back of the bay. Added a new LED Truck Lite B/O drive light and a new slave cable cap/cover. Everything seems to be working fine with it. I always like that first time outside feeling after rebuilding it. Well I reached my goal but I did park it so I can put a left fender on it and do some things weather permit. After that I pulled my Honda tractor in and worked on the snow blower. I never seen an engine running with the bowl of the carburetor just sitting there not attached to the carburetor. It ran and only leaked a little fuel. The brass bolt on the bottom snapped off from Gremlins I guess. it is a $15. bolt. Cheaper then a new snow blower. I have this Honda as a dedicated Snow Blower tractor for garage doors and side walks. I lost my camera so until I find it I guess it didn't happen. But it did you can trust me on that. Happy Holidays. I can finally get some rest and not feel guilty about not getting my project done. I exceeded my goal by several items I have repaired and installed. It key starts first time every time now.

cucvrus

indexAll hooked up and ready to go..jpgI just went out and turned the key on the wait light came on a few seconds and went off. I cranked the M1009 and it started and went on high idle. It just seemed like the light cycled pretty fast on a cold start. But it is 45* today. It still smokes out the barn bay very quickly. I think that is a combination of old diesel and old diesel truck. the new diesel trucks make no smoke at all when we run them in and out of the assembly plant. Can't even smell any diesel exhaust. I prefer the no smell. But not going to happen with this old iron. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

I went down and was going to put my left fender on the truck and a friend stopped by. So much for working on the m1009 tonight. Saved from the barn. Was out working on the M1009 plow truck until darkness fell.

cucvrus

I was content to stop and visit with them. It was only for a short while but it got me in the house and then I just stayed in and called it a day. I am still driving an M1028 as a daily driver so my trips after work are far and few between. After 23 years I lost the desire to travel any further then to and from work in it. I am serving my last 30 days without a modern vehicle and am anxious to get 100% mobile again. Happy Holidays and enjoy this weather while it lasts. I still think it is semi warm outside. As long as it is not raining I am happy. Enough of the rain already. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.

cucvrus

With 50* weather on tap for today. I think I will start out the new year on the right leg and get a jump on my M1009 project. I have some tractor work in the barn and would like to get that right fender mounted up on the m1009 so I don't have to kep it leaning against the wall. I did notce I have a dent in the M1009 that wasn't there before. ???? Ghosts of Christmas past maybe. I know that it just magically appeared and someone didn't want to tell me. It doesn't even phase me. Easy fix. I may have done it myself. It's done and that's about all I am going to say about that. Happy New Year. I will report back later.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny how those dents just appear ????? LOL , Happy New Year to you and the family , have a healthy and happy New Year , :beer: Bob K

cucvrus

I did manage to get the inner lip of the LEFT fender undercoated and that was about as far as I got on that project. Being 54* on January 1, is a rare event. I was out mowing grass and raking leaves most of the day. I did repair the snow blower skags and clean a mower deck up. But I just couldn't waste a beautiful day in January in the shop. I spent it outside in the great outdoors. Have a Great Day. I am sure winter is just around the corner lurking.

cucvrus

DSCF5829.jpgThat little Honda engine is a 2 cylinder 18 HP water cooled unit. Never misses a beat. DSCF5830.jpgDSCF5831.jpgI was out in the barn all day yesterday. I was sorting thru boxes of CUCV parts and fasteners. I used up most of the time sanding and cleaning under the Honda mowing deck. I wanted to try a new approach. I sanded the underside clean and used acid etch and primer then I top coated the underside of the cutting deck with 3 good coats of paint. Color was not important. I think it will help keep grass from sticking to the deck. I recall a conversation here a few weeks back about Fram filters being junk. I have been using them Fram filters for 28 years on my Honda tractors. The Honda filter is $17. and I change the oil once a year. 2 QTS of 10-30. Never had any issues. About $10. each year to service it. If I followed the manual I would be buying the Honda filter and the Honda 10-30 oil. I would have $30+ in the job. But back to the CUCV M1009. I was searching for little parts that I needed to reassemble the interior of another CUCV M1009 I was working on. I also seen this Mercedes Uni Mog looking thing up the road For Sale. Have a Great week. I am on my way to a hockey game. Hershey Bears vs Milwaukee Admiral's. Enjoy your day. Hershey lost. 3 to 1. All is well.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF5844.jpgDSCF5846.jpgDSCF5847.jpgDSCF5848.jpgDSCF5849.jpgDSCF5850.jpgDSCF5851.jpgDSCF5852.jpgDSCF5853.jpgDSCF5854.jpgDSCF5855.jpgDSCF5856.jpgI am hoping this is the last week I have to drive a CUCV as my daily driver. I hate it. I was 40 miles from home when the heater core went out. Froze on the way home at night with the windows fogged up. Today I went for coffee and the speedometer was wrapped around down at the bottom and sounded like it was going to explode. I stopped and pulled on the cable. I could not get it apart along the road in 20* weather. I bought gas for my saw and when I was on my home the tailgate slammed open. The man at the hardware store closed it when he put some salt bags in the bed. I was pulling out at the red light when that happened. And then today I changed the heater core. I had NAPA deliver one. Oh Joy it is made in China. I don't care where its made. It fit and fit nice and tight. the Army changed the core and had both studs stripped and cross threaded not tight on the firewall under the hood. The defroster vent was in halfway behind the duct work. Explains the poor defrost. I was able to break the studs off and put new bolts on the heater box. I changed the hoses as they were both 5/8" and date 1998. that is 20 years old. I lost a minimum of antifreeze since I used the hose crimp clamps. I have the big clamps also and have changed a radiator without draining the engine already. Not so easy on a CUCV with the spring in the lower hose. But there you have it. I started it up and left it run while I put the tools in the shop. I opened the door I felt heat at defrost and floor. that was the main goal. All is well. I also posted the pictures of the inner fender. I put them in the truck in 2005. They are made in Taiwan and for 14 year old imports that were never even painted they look great. This truck gets driven in Pennsylvania winters for the past 32 years. DSCF5845.jpgI added my new clevis for the Bubba Rope. I hope this is the last week. I earned my new truck this time. I want this truck back on wood cutting duty. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Another snow event in south central Pennsylvania.
Soon the sun will shine and the birds will sing and then the CUCV building can begin. Have a Great Weekend. Spring is coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Enjoy the weather you have. It is only temporary.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another one is on the way!!! roflroflrofl

Another snow event in south central Pennsylvania.
Soon the sun will shine and the birds will sing and then the CUCV building can begin. Have a Great Weekend. Spring is coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Enjoy the weather you have. It is only temporary.

cucvrus

DSCF5944.jpgHey. Look what I spotted a rare Swedish CUCV variant. WOW. They are a very rare CUCV. I think only one exists live in captivity. I happen to be the owner of this rare breed. It once only flourished in the Northern European area. I found this rare specimen grazing at the local military base and grabbed it up about 15 years ago. I sentenced it to hard labor and it has only strengthened it. It is looking for a mate in spring. I think it will get a complete new set of plumage and set out on a world tour. It only struts the Volvo grille when mating season comes around each year and it is looking for a Swedish bikini model to share time with. So far it has not found a mate. But I feel after the new plumage it will be a stud. Have a Great Day. Have Fun and Enjoy Life. If NOT I have a strong rope you can borrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks