• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF6253.jpgDSCF6254.jpgRusty sash guides. Very abrasive and do not slide nice in the side glass track guidesDSCF6255.jpgDSCF6256.jpgI polished the guides on both sides. DSCF6257.jpgDSCF6258.jpgThis is the other side of the sash. It was also polished with a 2" Rolok polishing pad. DSCF6261.jpgThis is a long discontinued part that goes in the bottom of the gate. It is activated when the window is in the down position. This part is shown in the catalogs of LMC and others but is not available. I bought 2 Genuine GM ones from a parts house that showed them in stock. I paid $100. each for them. I have them for Red Riding Hood project and one just for having. Not needed. DSCF6262.jpgDSCF6263.jpgDSCF6264.jpgBrand New A C Delco regulator right out of the blister package. I installed it and reassembled the entire gate. I cranked it up and down a few times and it popped at the top. I opened up the gate again and removed the regulator. It is scrap. Missing teeth or they just ground off in 3-4 up and down cycles. ??? I will post what I found next post.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF6266.jpgNot sure what went wrong. I threw it on the scrap pile. I had it for at least 10 years. I had more still packaged and just unpacked a second one. I thought about tearing it apart and pictured the spring pressure injuring me so I refrained from that. Scrapped it. DSCF6265.jpgI cleaned and grease the lower sash guides. DSCF6267.jpg I drilled an 1/8" hole into the outer skin and caught the inner reinforcement with a self tapping screw. if I were doing a restoration I would have been more through. DSCF6268.jpgDSCF6269.jpgIt pulled the pieces together and I could see a difference in the gate after I greased and adjusted the strikers and wedges. DSCF6270.jpgI used the correct screws to attach the end covers on the gate. DSCF6271.jpgThe owner supplied a spare tire carrier from a civilian K5. I thought it was torch time but decided to give the Snap-On 1/2" cordless a shot first. DSCF6272.jpgNailed it the first shot. I pinched the nut in the vise. I thought about calling this M1009 the skull splitter. Nice laceration on my head. DSCF6273.jpgLike I mentioned this is not my restoration work. I am eyeball deep into just getting the project fixed. We all know how one thing leads to another. the top was missing 6 side rail bolts. Why? How? Thank you for looking. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF6281.jpgBent bumper fixed. It was rolled in pretty bad. ratchet strap hammer and tree. DSCF6199.jpgI think that was rolled in pretty good. DSCF6275.jpgDSCF6274.jpgRear gate all rebuilt and license plate moved to left side and LED light installed along with a B/U alarm at customers request. DSCF6278.jpgCenter console installed. DSCF6276.jpgDSCF6277.jpgDSCF6279.jpgI installed a siren and PA system at customers request. Happy Happy. This project is completed. DSCF6280.jpgI am ready to say good bye and move onto Mr Rusty. I have a lot of work to do on that truck. I need to get working on my own stuff also. I think the underside of the hood needs sanded and painted on my decade rebuild. I can do that also. Hand sanding is fine. Do it right or not at all. Have a Great Day Be Safe.

cucvrus

I had the windshield man stop by today and glue a new rear view inside mirror onto the windshield. I never had much luck doing that. And from the looks of the inside of this windshield it was glued on several times. The windshield man is a friend of mine and is very good at glass removal and installation. I have him do all my windshields at work and here at home. I hope the owner shows up for it today. I have Mr. Rusty on the pad and have started on that project. I was stopped by a down pour of rain. More later with pictures. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6293.jpgDSCF6292.jpgDSCF6294.jpgDSCF6295.jpgLong Day today and HOT. I juggled several tasks and accomplished more than I expected. I fell short of getting the grass mowed but tomorrow s another day. I did a lot of work on lawn equipment and after all was ready to go back together I discovered I had the wrong cable. Minor set back. It was an opportunity to wash and clean every part I removed which I other wise would have just reassembled. NOT. But I done an extra special cleaning and serviced my air compressor. I did manage to get home just in time to prime the left fender and door edge on my decade project. Lets see if I can get to the finish without doing anymore damage. I also did remove the hood and set it up on steel horses so I can sand and clean the underside. No spraying chassis black or undercoating. that would be too easy and sloppy and quick. I want attention to detail. I have it all set up and decided it was time to rest for the day. Have a Happy 4th of July. Enjoy your day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6302.jpgWater base Flat Black paint. Heaven sent. No harsh chemicals and I used it before it sprays nice and cleans up with soap and water. Don't let it dry on your skin. It will require a brillo pad to get it off. DSCF6304.jpgDSCF6303.jpg5 wheels for my M1009 Decade Wrecked rebuild are painted on the back side only. I know they are painted right this time. The paint looks good and is drying nice in the sun. I did learn a lesson. do NOT place a hood outside upside down and let it there a couple days so you can sand it. If you don't get it done and it rains it holds about 5 gallons of water and makes sanding it next to impossible. it is back in the barn leaning against the wall. I will give that another attempt very soon. That must get done. I am completed with my CUCV work for the day and have other tasks to complete. I am in dry clothing again and will give it another attempt. More later. Take Care.

cucvrus

I painted the front side of the 5 M1009 wheels. They look great. I am going to sand the under side of the hood tonight. I want to get that done. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I have been procrastinating on the underside of the hood sanding and getting the left inner fender installed. Now that Mr. Rusty is gone I must apply myself to these monotonous tasks directly. Any move forward is a move in the right direction. My extra work on customers vehicles is welcome anytime. It does stall my efforts on my own vehicles. I can accept that. I still have many projects rolling along. CUCV's are only a drop in the bucket. Have a Great Day and Stay Cool and Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF6418.jpgDSCF6415.jpgDSCF6414.jpgIt has been a while. I have been busy with a dozen or more projects. I had a few hours and have been dragging my feet on te underside of this hood. This hood is perfect or I would not bother sanding and painting the underside. I could have undercoated it but that is the lazy way. I wanted the original OD green on the underside. I sanded it a few hours with the DA and hand sanded it a few more hours. It came off a township truck I bought back many years ago. It was 1986 K30 cab chassis. It was nice but the frame rotted in half. Salt spreaders tend to do that. I will work on it Monday after I come home. It had a quickie paint job. It looked bad yellow. But it is bad now getting the red off. I think it is about ready for sealer. I will check it out Monday. Take Care. Enjoy your Weekend. I think I have everything on the underside of that hood feathered in and tight.

cucvrus

DSCF6418.jpgI kept true to my word and finished sanding the underside of the hood. DSCF6421.jpgI flipped the hood over and closely examined the outer surface. Still perfect shape. For now I will set it aside and move onto getting the tailgate jam sanded/scuffed and painted. DSCF6419.jpgThat should be fairly easy because the inside is Line Xed 95%. The outer surface of the gate needs no work also. I need to keep working at this. I did manage to get my Yanmar Diesel air compressor running.DSCF6420.jpgI also started to get the left inner fender installed. I was already to put it in and to my surprise there were no J-nuts in the fender to install the apron. I fixed that quick and called it a night. Tomorrow I want to flip the hood over again and sand the red off so I am not sanding all that red into my clean engine compartment. DSCF5737 (2).jpgHave a Great Week. I will post more progress as it happens. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Last night was a step in the right direction. The left inner fender apron is installed, the rear tailgate jam is sanded and seam sealed at the bottom corners. That was the only spots on the gate that had come loose. I guess sitting out in the weather 10 years has that effect. I flipped the gate over and began sanding the outside skin. It was brand new paint 10 years ago. Never had a chance to get used before it was wrecked. As you can see in the first few posts. Most of the damage was rust and dents from sitting out in the weather 10 years. More progress tonight. I want to get a bunch of parts edge sanded and cleaned up so I can spray sealer 1 night and finish with the edge painting another night. The next big panel will be the fiberglass rear roof. I am getting the glass removed to paint the entire top inside and out. More later. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Lets just say I made a gallant effort to stay focused on the M1009 project. When what to my wondering eyes should appear. But a 1971 Mercedes Benz 220 diesel with a fuel leak and a locked right front caliper. Word must travel that this guy works on anything. Send me your broken and rusting and downed vehicles, Your cobbled and jacked up yearning to run free. I will do my best to get them back on the path. So much for that today. I am off to my weekend gig. Enjoy the weekend. Faire thee well. More later. Fun Fun.

cucvrus

DSCF4116.jpgThe tailgate crank on the M1009 project is still not operational. I only remember that when I was sanding the gate last night. I did have some small dents from the trailer hitch in the lower gate. DSCF6423.jpgDSCF6424.jpgI still have to gut out the entire gate. I need to buy a clear rear glass and get the crank out and do some diagnostic and repair on it. I have a few parts cranks. I need to get a codded lock cylinder. DSCF6422.jpgBut the gate will need to be edge and jam painted then hung on the truck. I will do the disassembly after the gate is hung and adjusted. Storing and moving the parts does more damage when they are unattached. More later. The Mercedes project is in full swing and I am making some progress. That is a nice looking car but in a way it is a pig with lipstick on it. Someone converted a sows ear into a silk purse and hung it on an unknowing buyer. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

The Mercedes is completed and now after a few weeks I have an empty driveway again. I am going to tackle the gate today and strip it out. I am not sure what I need to replace to get that crank operational but I will know before sundown. You will know a little later. I am tight for time right now and posting pictures is not on my list. More later. But I will update my progress. I did get the class 3 receiver from Big Red sand blasted and want to paint that also. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Well my celebration of completing the 1971 Mercedes was short lived. A 10 mile drive and the left wheel caliper locked up. I suggested to the owner to replace in pairs. He said no just fix what's broken. Seems like I set him up because the left brake hose also collapsed internally. It was a steam whistle when I removed the wheel and opened the bleeder. I never seen anything like it. The grease melted and was dripping out the front wheel bearing dust cover like 10 weight oil. Fortunately the owner was along for the ride and said he should have listed and replaced both sides. He still declined my suggestion to remove the rear wheels and check out them calipers. I also replace the delivery valve seals on the injection pump. I bought the seal from Diesel Care and they were fairly easy to install. A few little parts and a steady hand is all you need. Cleaning and cleaning as you go is the name of that game. I did manage to get the gate stripped out and everything looked great inside. The driver on the window crank is broken. I seen them for sale but am sure I can find a new one in my hoard. I would even settle for a parts handle crank at this point. The gate and hitch have been primed and will be edge painted along with the hood. Slow progress is still progress. And always better than NO progress. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. Awesome weather here in Pennsylvania.

cucvrus

DSCF6426.jpgDSCF6427.jpgDSCF6428.jpgI went on a hunt and found my stash box of M1009 gate hardware. I found a few drivers that have no keys. I will be taking one driver to the locksmith with a CUCV key to get the cylinder coded. DSCF6430.jpgDSCF6429.jpgI actually had time to get my parts set out cleaned, taped and sealed. Hitch, gate inside and underside of hood are all ready for paint. DSCF6433.jpgDSCF6432.jpgDSCF6431.jpgDSCF6434.jpgDSCF6436.jpgDSCF6435.jpgNext will be the paint and the installation. That is a forward move. A little at a time. No rush. Everything done as carefully as I can. Thais Rig Red's hitch hanging there. It was primed and sealed. I will just paint it green when painting the gate and hood insides. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. Take your time and do it right.

cucvrus

DSCF6429.jpgDSCF6436.jpgDSCF6432.jpgWell do I get any points for an honest attempt? After work I opened up the barn doors and began getting some parts together for a customer that was stopping by. Mainly a right door and a fender. About 10 minutes in my Grand Children showed up. I finished gathering the parts and it was starting to rain. Keeping kids in the barn with painted parts hanging from the ceiling and on stands never ends well. I opted to close the doors wash up and go inside the house for instant entertainment. Now supper is all done and I don't feel like going back out. It is still raining a bit and I do deserve a few hours rest on occasion. I really try and stay focused as much as I can. I the first picture with the unsealed hood you can see the Mercedes less the left front wheel and rotor. Still waiting for parts. Rain prevented me from doing any real work. Which is fine. I am inside with my Family. More later. Take Care and Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks