• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF5605.jpgDSCF5604.jpgPOP QUIZ: This is a special M10 1.5 shoulder bolt that is used on the CUCV 6.2 diesel. Does anyone know where it is used? Clue there are only 2 of these special bolts on the engine. And the entire truck from my experience. Of course you could use it many places but it is application specific and the shoulder on the bolt serves that purpose. I just had a friend that needed one and I gave him one of mine. I spent an hour sorting thru bolts and found 3 more. I marked them and put them away. I also know I could use any M10 1.5 in its place but choose to do it correctly each time. The God's at GM had a reason. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

You are correct. Most CUCV's I work on have the wrong bolts in many places. My friends has 3/8" bolts in his and he ate belts and it rattled all tetime. He ask me one day to check it out and I went to loosen the belts and they were 9/16" heads on both alternators. I knew something was wrong. After taping the holes and putting in the correct M10 bolts all was well. I also dislike hardware store M10 bolts with 17m/m hex heads. They go in the scrap bucket. These aren't VW's. Have a Great Day. Thanks for the answer.

cucvrus

DSCF5607.jpgDSCF5606.jpgDSCF5611.jpgI was down in the barn cleaning up and winterizing some of my equipment and I was side tracked by my M1009 project. I decided I had to move the M109 back in the bay a bit to fit a tractor in to work on it. At that point I had parts laying out and decided to install them onto the M1009. Mainly the 2 alternators with the solid pullies and the rebuilt direct drive starter. I put the proper cable supports on the oil pan and installed the starter support bracket. Everything is going together nice and neat. I want to have the body setting back on the frame by next week after the 10th of November. Time to roll up the project for the winter and relax. I have snow plows and other winter equipment to work on and operate. Can't risk working and painting in the cold. Makes for haste and haste makes waste. Spring will be here and I can restart where I left off. It should be really simple from that point. I am looking to retail this vehicle when completed. So any prospective buyers can start saving now. DSCF5608.jpgDSCF5609.jpgDSCF5610.jpgRebuilt starter from a local rebuilder. Same as the alternators. I have everything under the engine all buttoned up. Now I must move to getting the fuel tank installed during the week. I have been stalling on the power steering pump as well. I need to get new hoses. Have a Great Day. It was a decent day for working outside. Also for leaf raking and clean up. It never ends. All is well. Sold my Silverado yesterday and delivered it to a customer that came in on the train. Went to the big city of Harrisburg yesterday. That was easy. First caller bought it and paid the price I was asking. DSCF5603.jpg

cucvrus

DSCF5612.jpgDSCF5613.jpgDSCF5614.jpgDSCF5615.jpgLooking at the transmission kickdown wire I see trouble and wanted to get the wire tied up. I used some 3M tie blocks. They stick very good on clean dry material. Nice place to attach with a standard zip tie. DSCF5616.jpgDSCF5617.jpgDSCF5618.jpgDSCF5623.jpgDSCF5624.jpgI also received a new set of Energy Suspension transmission / transfer case mounts. They have been improved since the last time I bought these. The last several I purchased did not have the bottom plate on the bushing. I had to saw the old one off the rubber and reuse them. Huge improvement. Made for easy installation. Fit perfect with some never seize on the bolts. I was going to settle for the pressure treated wood block but was afraid it would get spotted at Mecham. Have a Great Day

cucvrus

DSCF5619.jpgDSCF5620.jpgDSCF5621.jpgDSCF5622.jpgAmazon is great. I don't even have to go to the store anymore. New AC Delco fuel sock is a must have item. DSCF5626.jpgDSCF5627.jpgDSCF5628.jpgDSCF5629.jpgDSCF5630.jpgI also received some unexpected help tonight. My Wife came home from work and was content to help me get the fuel tank and fuel tank skid plate in place and properly attached. Then she replaced the fuel lines on the fuel tank. I made a new ground wire for the sending unit. Drilled an 1/8" hole and used a star washer and a self tapping screw to attach the ground wire to the sending unit tab. I attached the other end to the frame with a new self tapping bolt and star washer. See no reason it won't work. I also used more of the seat belt material on the fuel tank and fuel tank strap. Caulked it fast. It looks and works great. DSCF5625.jpgI also came across a few ground cables with nice 1/4" eye on one end a 3/8" eye on the other end. They were a bit longer then I needed but make a nice Generator ground wire. I have another one to ground the engine to the frame and then from the buss bar ground to the frame. It helps solve grounding issues on a few of my other CUCV's. More progress later. I need to get this body back on the frame before I close shop for the winter. I have the radiator support all ready to mount up. More progress later. Everything went well tonight. Maybe it was my helper that made the progress happen so smoothly.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give that helper a big hug. They make all the difference in the world. I don't think I would survive
without mine. 46 years and she is still always willing to help.

cucvrus

DSCF5632.jpgDSCF5633.jpgToday I had a little time after work so I decided to get the tow bar tubes installed. I painted the tubes a couple years back for another project but being late in the season painting is hard to get done and dry. I can paint more next season. I needed some where to hook the tow bar to pull the chassis out and push it back in while I ready the body for undercoating. Hoping to get that done in the next couple days. DSCF5634.jpgDSCF5635.jpgI bought new fasteners and they were to short so I cleaned the old bolts and just used new nuts and washers. It will work out fine. After everything was together I remembered I don't have a truck to push and pull it out of the shop. I am driving a Cadillac till my new truck arrives. Hoping soon. Kubota can pull it out and push it back in. DSCF5636.jpgHave a Great Day. I hope to get more work done tomorrow. I will post the progress.

cucvrus

https://youtu.be/7-nzlKUQ1QQDSCF5637.jpgDSCF5638.jpgDSCF5639.jpgDSCF5640.jpgTight work shop today. I had planned on setting the chassis adrift into the driveway but all day pouring down rain prevented me from doing that. I managed to get them past each other even though they are facing each other now. I will solve that problem later. DSCF5641.jpgDSCF5642.jpgDSCF5643.jpgDSCF5644.jpgMaybe I should have done a subject search. How to tilt the M1009 CUCV on one side without it touching the floor. That was easy. 1 click at a time from the ceiling winches. DSCF5645.jpgDSCF5646.jpgI'm NOT done yet. That was way to easy. I didn't even dirty my hands or face. That part is coming.

cucvrus

I do know that flash makes that underside look a lot worse then what it looks like to me. I was going to just spray DX 330 wax and grease remover on the bottom side blow it dry and spray the Rusfree. But I have a new set ofEnergy Suspension cab mounts and decided to install them. Now comes the task of getting the old isolators from the rear body studs. The cab bolts second row from back are welded to the cargo floor top side so I will allow them to stay. I do not want to cut my Line X and shower the insides with sparks. I see that as being counter productive. The original bolts will be fine. The back ones have to go. I changed these mounts several times for customers. It is a bigger job then it appears when you have the body on the frame. Without a torch I would say forget it. May as well search for a new M1009. Last one I done took me about 12 hours. I ended up pulling the body up with the wrecker just to get the old bolts out without stripping and breaking the cage nuts. DSCF5648.jpgDSCF5647.jpgDSCF5649.jpgWith the body tilted I can work at getting the underside really clean and replace the rear body insulators. The back one like usual did not want to cooperate. The fire tells the truth and makes thing surrender. But I have the Line X floor so I took my time and used my brazing torch to slowly melt the steel bushings/spacers and the top of the steel/rubber insulator. Nice smoke filled shop. DSCF5650.jpgDSCF5651.jpgDSCF5652.jpgDSCF5653.jpgDSCF5654.jpgDSCF5655.jpgDSCF5656.jpgDSCF5657.jpgI used the steel rolling table as a safety while I worked under the raised body. I doubt it will fall. The winches barely have any load on them. But safety is still important. It was just me, chickens and my XM radio. Nice day to spend inside with the Kerosene heater burning. Ever try and heat a barn? It just barely takes the chill off. I just work harder and make my own heat. I think that how it works. No fires were started during his job. And I always stay around about an hour after the last flame went out. Sweep the floor and put all the hand tools away.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF5658.jpgDSCF5659.jpgDSCF5660.jpgDSCF5661.jpgDSCF5662.jpgDSCF5663.jpgDSCF5664.jpgAfter getting the cab mounts off the studs I decided to call it a day. I managed to complete the task with 0 injuries. As far as dirt. Very dirty job. Clothes went right in the washer so I have the same ones to wear tomorrow when I continue on this task. My goal is to have the entire underside sprayed with the Rusfree and get everything cleaned up and put away. Should be doable. No helpers for the dirty deeds done dirt cheap. Have a Great Day. Stay safe and keep your goals simple. You will get a lot done that way.

cucvrus

Caddy? Lol.....ok

Super nice job on M1009! Pretty SA-WEET to watch.
I said this to many of my friends. I will never have a CUCV or any used older vehicles as a daily driver again. And working on filthy vehicles is going to be a thing of the past soon I hope. I liked it and done it all my life. My tastes have changed. I like nice vehicles with modern luxuries. That simple. And I never have to work on them. Drive them and trade them every 5 years. The last 2 pickups I had I never done anything to but change the oil and put gas in them. That it. I like it. Don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun with all my vehicles over the years. But I like other non related things now. Kubotas, wood cutting, yard work and rest and relaxation. Have a Great Day and thank you for the inspiring words. I always hope it helps give people ideas. I am NOT a rich man and I think about how to do things all the time.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said this to many of my friends. I will never have a CUCV or any used older vehicles as a daily driver again. And working on filthy vehicles is going to be a thing of the past soon I hope. I liked it and done it all my life. My tastes have changed. I like nice vehicles with modern luxuries. That simple. And I never have to work on them. Drive them and trade them every 5 years. The last 2 pickups I had I never done anything to but change the oil and put gas in them. That it. I like it. Don't get me wrong I had a lot of fun with all my vehicles over the years. But I like other non related things now. Kubotas, wood cutting, yard work and rest and relaxation. Have a Great Day and thank you for the inspiring words. I always hope it helps give people ideas. I am NOT a rich man and I think about how to do things all the time.
You Sir, are certainly allowed to drive/work on/whatever you so desire! There are MANY neat and functional "luxury" functions on today's auto! You certainly know your way around some "older vehicles", that's for sure! I'm sure you do inspire many besides myself. Wouldn't know until it is tried, correct?

I just don't like car payments. Never have, especially the "high" ones. Either way, no right or wrong, just a personal preference.

THANKS for all the wonderful pics and extremely detailed narrative on your build/rebuild of the M1009! Would be great to lend a hand and learn a bit, IF we were closer together! LOL

Have a great night Rick, stay safe, keep it simple and do things one day at a time!!

Last edited:

cucvrus

I am going back out on task. I finished cleaning some leaves from the gutters and that was about the extent of my tasks around my place for the day. Now comes play time with my M1009. I will post a full progress report later this evening. Dirty work ahead. Dawn the head cover and full paint suit. Mr Frosty in the white suit. Then again maybe not. Very restrictive for working.

cucvrus

DSCF5665.jpgDSCF5666.jpgDSCF5667.jpgDSCF5668.jpgDSCF5669.jpgI started out early today and done a lot of yard work and CUCV work. I wire brushed washed, primed, and undercoated the entire under side of my M1009 project. I was very dirty and ruined a set of Carhartt jeans and shirt from a minor hose disconnect during spraying. The cage nuts in the body were in excellent condition. I ran the tap thru them and greased them good. Then I ran a 1/2 x 13 bolt in all 4. DSCF5670.jpgDSCF5671.jpgAt lunch time I blew all the underside down good swept and vacuumed the shop. After lunch the really dirty part will happen.

cucvrus

DSCF5672.jpgDSCF5673.jpgDSCF5674.jpgDSCF5675.jpgDSCF5676.jpgDuring lunch the M1009 spun itself a cocoon of plastic. I wanted NO overspray on all the nice edge paint and interior doors. It also makes for a nice job because I can spray right up to the edges. These vehicles had very little or no undercoating from new. The floors were basically painted with chassis black. DSCF5677.jpgDSCF5678.jpgDSCF5679.jpgDSCF5680.jpgDSCF5681.jpgI sprayed about a gallon and half of Rusfre. It took me about an hour to clean everything up and get the spray gun cleaned out. I crawled under with a light and checked everything. This is a very dirty and labor intense job if you want it done right. You can not under coat over dust and dirt so it requires a lot of prep time to do the job correctly. I had to scrub myself with DX330 and Dawn dish soap to get clean. I have a dinner tonight to go to and don't want any undercoating in my hands. I wore a particulate mask and head scarf during spraying for about 2 hours. I turned the heater off because of flammability. Have a Great Day. With any Luck I can get this body set back on the chassis in the next week. Just have to get the chassis turned 180*. Darn rain yesterday. I am sure it will all work out some how.

cucvrus

View attachment 17068K5 Blazer Body mounts M1009 CUCV.pdfI found a brand new Energy Suspension 3.4118 Body Mount kit in the wrecked m1009. My Son bought it at Camp Lejeune and never had a chance to install it. I checked it out and was unsure if I was going to use it. It is a RED bushing kit and it may be the only color they make it in. I am definitely going to use it. It solves a lot of issues. 1.) the rear brackets that hold the lower body mounts can be eliminated with this kit. And we all know how rusty them little brackets can be. 2.) all the little spacers that were on the 4 rear mounts. They are always rusted. I made a few in the past from tubing. Mainly plumbing nipples. Have a Great Day. I had a Great evening out. More progress tomorrow. Maybe I can unwrap my project. Then again maybe NOT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks