• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF5682.jpgDSCF5683.jpgDSCF5684.jpgDSCF5685.jpgThis AM a friend stopped over for coffee after church and was interested in my K5 project. We quickly went down to the barn and peeled all the plastic from the body. One thing led to another and we winched the body back onto the cart and spun it 180*. Then we winched it tight up against the ceiling and pushed the chassis up into place. With the 2 of us and the floor jack we were able get the chassis parallel to the body. I then jacked the body back down 1 click at a time and was able to move the body cart back down into the tree line. Very handy cart. Don't know if I will ever use it again. May end up scrapped like my cab cart. DSCF5686.jpgDSCF5687.jpgLooking pretty good and all done before lunch time. I have to clean up 6 of the body mount cones/bushings and 6 of the bottom flat washers. I have a lot upstairs in the barn that I took apart back when they were 10 years old. So that should be no problem. Picture 5 of 6 the frame has a lot of rust dust on it. I should have washed and waxed it before I slipped it under there. Maybe some other day. Have a Great Day. I have reached tomorrows task and goal already. So I am way ahead of Schedule. Next week it should be seated and loose on the frame. I will not be able to tighten it down till the fenders, hood, and radiator support are properly aligned. After that and it is running and drivable I am setting down for a long winters nap. Back in the corner with the M1009. I have lots of room in my shop again. Maybe I can set the wood stove in place. But I still have a 6.2 HMMWV engine setting in the shop. Saving it for retirement.

cucvrus

DSCF5688.jpgDSCF5689.jpgToday after work I completed a few tasks on my M1009 project. I reinstalled 1/4 panel filler panels. DSCF5690.jpgDSCF5691.jpgI sorted thru my Energy Suspension body mount kit. I cleaned and painted the steel factory body mounts. They get used over again. I also cleaned and painted the bottom washers for the cab mounts and installed the muffler heat shields that I painted also. I had them off to clean and under coat and wanted something other then black. I sprayed them with Dull Aluminum. That was the popular color tonight. They look great. I used my torx head truss 5/16" bolts to attach everything. They work well and replace the worn hardware. Used never seize on all my bolts. DSCF5693.jpgDSCF5692.jpgDSCF5694.jpgDSCF5695.jpgAn hour spent cleaning and painting is worth it every time. The body mounts are RED but that don't matter to me. The old ones are soft and rusty from 30 years of use. I want to set my body in place but I am going over every thing underneath and making sure I have everything right. The fuel filler hose is 1 5/8" and I am going to have to buy new. I cut the old one. Oh well. I know I can find some. I should have thought before I cut. I was thinking it was 1 3/4". Surprise. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1-...MIl5qkqq_W3gIV0rrACh3gEAvwEAQYASABEgL-ZPD_BwE

I have been searching for the 1 5/8" fuel filler hose that runs from the filler neck to the tank. My search is over. Less then $20. delivered to my door. Sold by the inch. Shipping was about as much as the hose. Can't weave a hose. I spent 2 hours removing an M1009 fuel tank and the hose was that hard it was cracking. Not worth my time and effort for the $20. item. But may I remind you the M1008/Pickup CUCV hose is NOT going to be available. So be careful when working around your CUCV truck filler neck hoses. I had a few of them that were cracked at the elbow and leaked fuel. I was fortunate and had a few new ones. They are all gone now. So used is going to be the only option. Just thought I would mention it. This fuel filler hose is the only thing holding me from setting the body down on the frame. I will need to find a few more things to clean and paint till the hose arrives. The radiator support looks like a good place to start. That and the power steering pump and V belts. Have Great Day. Waiting for a pending snow storm here in the northeast. If it don't come I won't miss it.

cucvrus

DSCF5691.jpgDSCF5698.jpgDSCF5700.jpgDSCF5701.jpgDSCF5702.jpgDSCF5705.jpgDSCF5706.jpgOK. So it snowed and it made a real mess of things. My schedule is all messed up and I was out all night plowing from Thursday till Friday. Thank you to the misc. member here or on Facebook that sent me the fuel filler hose in the mail. Much thanks. Don't know who you are. Nice. I still have a new one coming but with the donor hose I was able to mount the body back on the frame today and get the new cab mounts in place. I did need the Wife to put the back 2 mounts in place. That is a very tight area. I also did some redesign to the rear bumper outer brackets with some cage nuts. Everything is coming along well. I was able to mount the radiator support, Fan shroud and attend a holiday parade. So it was a busy day from sun up. DSCF5696.jpgDSCF5697.jpgDSCF5703.jpgDSCF5704.jpgThe M1009 sits real nice with the 4 new stock springs on it. Next I want to get the radiator in and hooked up. I have an original GM Harrison replacement radiator. It is the plastic aluminum type. That is my all time favorite style of radiator. Over the years with plow trucks and other personal vehicles I have had less trouble with them. I think I can have this vehicle running as early as December 1, 2018. I think that is a reasonable goal. All the body mounts are just snug. Not tight. I will tighten them once the fenders, hood and body is all aligned. It is sitting where it set when I left it off the winches. That was easy. 1 click at a time and it was as easy as that with a winch bar. I will be using them winches much more now for cleaning out under tractor mower decks. Much safer then a floor jack and I can basically stand it on it tail. What could go wrong. The barn could collapse. I doubt that will happen. Take care have a Great Weekend and stay warm. The snow is melting quickly here. And I think I can live with the RED cab mounts. I hardly think it matters what color they are. DSCF5617.jpgThis part number will get you a complete set. I used all grade 8 bolts, flat washers, and nuts. Actually serrated flange nuts on the rear 4 mounts. They are very special mounts. Sorry they are the transmission mounts part number. I posted the correct body mount part number also.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF5636.jpgWell lets just say the Cadillac was a massive fail for me in the 2 weeks I have it. The third day I had it I was hit by another motorist that didn't like to yield to stopped traffic. They drove out of a parking lot and crossed diagonally across both lanes to go straight. When the light changed they put it in reverse and hit me on the left corner. NOT massive damage but several $K to fix. On Thursday night I was stuck in the driveway and had to get out and push and pull the vehicle. Friday was a mess also. So time to break out the CUCV. 1987 M1028. I had it at the transmission shop and it needed a vacuum valve on the injection pump. Drives and shifts like new. I noticed it had a bad bulb in the left turn signal. Yes the bulbs were marbled. No tail lamp gasket. I then went about freeing up the pintle hook so I could open and close it. No use having a 4WD if you can't hook up the Bubba Rope. One thing led to another and I was cleaning out the bed and putting a rubber mat down in it. Putting 4 clevises on it. I will be putting an LED projection license plate lamp on the rear bumper. But the Cadillac went to the body shop today and the CUCV is here to stay until I get my new truck that I ordered back in July. The Cadillac was a good buy and I drove it for 2 weeks. It will be nice to drive in spring but maybe I will sell it by then. The Cadillac is rear wheel drive. If it were front wheel drive it may have worked out. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5707.jpgDSCF5708.jpgDSCF5709.jpgDSCF5710.jpgWell as the M1028 is now my daily driver I needed to do some improvements. I never minded the rattles and door slamming when it was a scrap and wood hauler. But I took a few minutes and done some $0. upgrades. Scrap PEX tubing from a plumbing job I recently done. Removed the striker and used a 1/2" dep socket to drive the PEX down over the striker. Freebie. DSCF5711.jpgDSCF5712.jpgDSCF5713.jpgDSCF5714.jpgWorks like new. I have used just 1/2" bolts as strikers in a pinch. DSCF5717.jpgDSCF5716.jpgDSCF5715.jpgI salvaged an LED license plate light from a wrecked light bar. It had some kind of circuit board in the wiring. I cut the wires and eliminated the circuit board and the light still works. Not sure what the circuit board was for but I now have a light on the license plate. It drives much better with the transmission shifting properly. Been a while since I had a CUCV as my only vehicle. It is on temporary. I put 4 D rings on it also and cleaned the windows.

cucvrus

DSCF5718.jpgI installed my GM replacement radiator in my CCV project. It is a factory Harrison replacement. I used to have 10 of them. This was the last one I have. DSCF5719.jpgSearched for this clamp and found it in my stash. Oil line to fan shroud clamp. I always wrap them with electricalDSCF5722.jpg tape to keep the steel off the aluminum. Install the radiator, cooler lines and the new radiator isolators. Things were going well so I installed the speedometer cable and reattached it to the underside clamps. 10/24 studs were factory in floor. I just used new nuts. All shift linkage hooked up for transmission and transfer case. Block heater wiring attached to block and routed. GM block heater I installed back in 1995. Things went so well I was able to get the right fender attached and aligned. DSCF5720.jpgDSCF5721.jpgMy goal is the right inner fender in place and getting the truck running and moving under it's own power. That way I can settle down for a long winters nap. I will get the left fender on also if time allows. All the front end sheet metal is ready to install and paint. I seem to have nice hoods and 2 with hood ornaments. Shame I don't want an ornament on this hood. Take care have a Great Day. Happy Thanksgiving.

cucvrus

Last night I was digging thru my stash of body parts and I came across a right OEM inner fender that has been in my possession since the glaciers were forming. It had battery boxes attached and was cribbaged a bit on the front edge. Zero rust. It was from back when I had an M1028 and was involved in an accident at the intersection near my home. Long story short all the GM parts were still available at the time so in lieu of repairing anything I just ordered new from the dealer. I kept the inner fender because it was like new and was an OEM one with the reinforcements welded to it. This one still has battery trays bolted to it. Zero rust. I am charging the batterie of the camera at the moment and have family coming over today. But when I get back at the job I will post a few pictures. I think it needs a wet rag and a little water to clean the dust and dirt from it. I will be happy to utilize it and get them batteries installed. I want to get my truck running this weekend. Fingers crossed that I get the time. I have work also and it has been busy with all the vacations. Well HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all. Have a Great Day.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the post and the same to you and your family , be safe ,be well , Bob K

cucvrus

DSCF5725.jpgDSCF5726.jpgToday being BLACK Friday I had family duties to attend and a list a mile long. So early up and at it. I was given a 12 NON deadline for play in the garage and then had to get with the family for some travel. I figured well if I get up early enough I can get a lot done. The pictures up top were some parts I located while digging for new front park lights. Never remembered that I had them pieces. Also found the park lamps. same size box was the error. DSCF5728.jpgDSCF5727.jpgThis is the inner fender I had. After closer examination I discovered it was from an M1009 I think the same one I am rebuilding. Being 2 cold out to wash I carried it up to the basement and scrubbed and cleaned it. DSCF5729.jpgDSCF5730.jpgDSCF5731.jpgDSCF5732.jpgI went back down in the barn and hammered on it a few minutes to straighten the edge and installed it. Taped it up a little bit and sprayed it with Satin Black. That was the extent of the CUCV work today. I did get all the tools put away and swept inside and out before I departed for all points beyond. Easy day. Got home before dark cleaned the chimney and was able to get back off the roof without injury or insult. Tomorrow off to regular work at the truck plant. It was a very cold day in Jonestown. Have a Great Day and stay warm.

dougco1

View attachment 748969View attachment 748970Today being BLACK Friday I had family duties to attend and a list a mile long. So early up and at it. I was given a 12 NON deadline for play in the garage and then had to get with the family for some travel. I figured well if I get up early enough I can get a lot done. The pictures up top were some parts I located while digging for new front park lights.

Rick, it looks like you may have found the last surviving set of NOS Seat Hing Covers for your M1009. Very rare to have. Good score.

cucvrus

Last night I braved the cold and windy conditions and cleaned and started to install the front light wiring harness onto the M1009. I cleaned all the sockets, washed the loom and replaced a section. I also re-taped all the sections that were taped from new. The original tape is very dry and brittle. The wires looked great. I also cleaned and painted the battery trays. Paint dries very slowly at 30*. I install the slave cable and port on the core support. I want to do a little at a time. I am OK with no heat. Just cleaning and painting parts is an issue at this temperature. No need to do things half fast at this point. I will continue to work towards my goal of starting and moving under its own power. A few more parts are needed. Mainly fluids a few hoses and a oil filter. I am going with the AC Delco PF1218. Same as the dealer installs. All is Well. Have a Great Day and Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

imagesdog grinch.jpgbeen dragging my feet a lot lately on my project. It rains, it snows, it gets cold, I get sick. Well tonight I did manage to paint the battery trays. They were easy and in great shape. Just needed a coat of satin black. I dropped off my battery cables at a shop today to get new cable ends installed. I done them myself in the past. I was going to have new cables made. But the man said the cables are fine. Just need ne cable ends. I like it when a business man talks me out of spending money. I raked a lot of leaves in the past week and spent a fair amount of time horizonal on the couch and in bed. Never missed a day of work. But it did cut into my play time. I will get rolling here in a short time. I still have an easy goal in mind till spring. I have a lot of lawn equipment that needs cleaned and winterized so never a dull moment. Pun intended. Happy Holidays.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take care of yourself! Illness can and does "sneak" up on people. Without proper rest and fluids, VERY easy for something simple to become something MUCH worse quickly!

cucvrus

DSCF5735.jpgFirst day I felt like doing any extra work in over a week. I gathered a few parts and fluids I needed to proceed. Working on these old trucks is expensive at times. DSCF5733.jpgDSCF5734.jpgDSCF5736.jpgDSCF5737.jpgDSCF5741.jpgDSCF5742.jpgDSCF5743.jpgI picked up new battery's and did a lot of finish work under the hood. I did fail to attach the brake lines from the front crossmember to the master cylinder before I set the radiator in place. I am sure I can do that with ease. But it was 34* all day in the garage. I hooked up my jump pack and tested all the wiring. No sparks were present. I filled the engine with oil and that was about all the fluids I was able to get into today. At dark the temperature dropped quickly. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

I work when it is cold. I have a heater/wood stove. I need to get some time and get it in place. I like the winter off. I have lots of outside in the cold work. I was out and put 2 gallons of ATF in the transmission and 4 gallons of 50/50 mixed Dex-Cool in the radiator. It keeps me paced. I have wood to take in and still leaves to clean up. My Son's stay clear of the place. Work is a dirty word. No app available to get the yard work done. I do have a robotic vacuum cleaner named Nicky. I like it. I am driving an M1028 as my daily the next month. So I cross my fingers everyday. Take care. And your Old Butt needs to stay warm also. How is the old truck doing? Happy Holidays.

ssdvc

Thanks Rick, back at ya ! I'm doing ok, can't complain, considering. I am not a fan of the cold when it goes into the 20's or below, but that is what a propane heater and rubber mats are for....us old guys !!

My 09 is doing real nice. She now fires up within a second of turning the key after the GP cycle, even at 18 degrees. The only item I have not gotten to is the fuel gauge. I have checked everything except the sending unit. Just trying to find a good time to drop the tank. I do want to pick up a few spare parts, including a spare gauge cluster and maybe a cracked dash pad, so I can experiment.

Stay healthy my friend !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks