• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

corvette9

I remember looking at that one when I was down there. Good truck for a new project. Nice job on the 1008. I would have bought that one if I didn't have Dude. He's parked in the barn for the winter now. I like following your progress every morning. Look forward to watching this one.

BG.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send your Dad up. I need a good helper. Do you have 4 come a longs I could borrow? The hardest part and the part I worried about most has been concord. I feared the body bolts and nuts. I was able to get all 8 out with no breakage of stripped nuts. Took hours but it was well spent. Remember no heat in the barn. Hint.
I have one and it's yours if you need it. I'll see if I can come up with anymore.

ssdvc

Rick, looks like a nice project and it is moving fast (although that's really no surprise). Another one saved from the pile !

71m109a3

I can't believe that's the same truck I saw sitting there a couple of months ago! It really cleaned up nicely!

cucvrus

DSCF4211.jpgToday I had family guy day. I was planning on getting more work done but I did not have a total wash out. I went to town and the starter on my Cadillac sounded a bit weak. I went out to start it and it just caught in a Black Friday parking lot. Imagine that. Anyway. I headed home and stopped to eat. I decided I would make a simple goal on my M1009 project. So simple a cave man could get it done. I wanted the skid plate removed and the filler neck and hoses that was easy. But before that I wanted to replace the starter on my Cadillac North Star 32 valve V8. People say how hard it is and how expensive it is. I equate it as about as easy as changing a CUCV starter. But a lot more comfortable and not as dirty. Top picture is the engine as you open the hood. The starter is under the intake manifold. DSCF4207.jpgEasy enough. Remove the intake and take the starter out. Still standing and using 10mm tools and the biggest is a 13mm socket. Cost was $45. for the intake gaskets. Thick plastic clip on gaskets with built in O rings. Dealer wanted $800. to change. About 2 hours and it was done. Not one unpleasant word was spoken. I was impressed with the fit and ease. DSCF4210.jpgI would change these everyday for $100. labor. On 1-10 it was a 4. Then the CUCV. That was very dirty underneath but the never seize paid off that I put on 10 years ago. I used a ratchet wrench to remove the 6-3/8" bolts from the skid plate. I cut the filler hose and the vent hose off and removed the filler neck from the body. I then did some measuring to make some lifting attachments to get the body off. I also retrieved the cab cart again. I must make a rear cart with 2 wheels to bolt on the body for support. Take care thank you for looking.

nyoffroad

Under the manifold, sheesh! I would've been layin underneath looking and thinking WTH?
Following this build with interest. It was hard to see how bad that frame is from the pic's but I would've put it on the machine and pulled it. But then again I don't have a spare frame!:D Too bad about that rocker, I just had to put a new one on my truck and it just didn't quite fit as good as they did years ago. In the front it fit perfect but in the rear it seemed a tad to wide, never had that happen before. ( it was after market)

cucvrus

DSCF4106.jpgToday will be a wash on my project. I am going on a picker type run. Wood related.
I was in contact with a local sandblasting and paint shop. I have a 16HP Yanmar diesel engine that the Man that owns the paint shop wants. I don't need it and I don't need more work. I do need a nice clean painted M1009 frame. I have the frame setting in the tree line since 1999. That is my next project. Get that frame in my shop and get it striped bare. I have an appointment at the end of December to get it blasted, primed and painted. So I am making the trade for the work and he gets the Yanmar engine. Win Win. I can hardly wait It is an inspiration to do this work and trading. Have a great day. Happy Holidays. I have a wood cart in mind I want to build today. If anyone has a interest I will post a picture. It is a firewood hauler. From pile to house.

cucvrus

DSCF4106.jpgToday I took the time to clean up everything around my donor frame. I want to get that in my shop next and strip it down to the bare bones. I am excited to move forward on this project. Not sure where I will end up with this one. But I do plan on going all out again and doing a total rebuild. I have some plans to use the newer 1991 K5 small headlamp system just for notoriety. That and the fact that I have a perfect parts K5 in my coral at the moment. The sooner I get it stripped the sooner it can go. Thanks for looking. No pictures to post today. The picture above is how it looked last week. It still looks about the same minus the wood and parts on it and around it. Soon to vacate the area it has occupied since 1999. I may turn around when I enter the driveway and think I made a wrong turn with all that stuff missing from the tree line.

cucvrus

DSCF4220.jpgDSCF4221.jpgTonight it was unseasonably warm. Low 50's and dry. I decided why not get something done? I looked at my M1009 Salvage and thought the hood and cowl have to go. DSCF4222.jpgDSCF4223.jpgSo off with the scrap hood. I want to tear into that cowl area to get the debris and do a damage/rust assessment. EveryDSCF4224.jpgDSCF4225.jpgDSCF4226.jpgDSCF4227.jpg thing looks great under there. I removed the wiper transmission, wiper motor, the cab seals and the windshield gasket lock. The windshield is going to be junk. It is clouded at the edges from sitting under all the muck and tree dirt for the past 10 years. I set a few light goals for the night. I was done to quickly so I had to set the goals higher.

cucvrus

DSCF4229.jpgDSCF4228.jpgDSCF4230.jpgDSCF4231.jpgI removed the clevis brackets and bumper brackets. Left bracket is scrap. I removed the sway bar. Good thing was it has Energy Suspension bushings installed already. I removed the shocks. They are 4" lift kit shocks. Never going back on my build. I am not ready o pull the engine. I want to get the donor frame roller in and strip that before I disable the mobility of the salvage. It still glows starts and drives. I will keep it that way. The wood block radiator mounts held up well. I am happy with every thing I see thus far. I will be removing the rear shocks and the E-brake cable tomorrow night. It needs replaced on the main cab assembly. the rear axle has about 1000 miles on it. I installed it when I rebuilt the truck. It was a new crate axle. Same as the front. The transfer case was overhauled. The transmission I never touched internally. Thank you for looking. Happy Holidays. More tomorrow.

cucvrus

DSCF4232.jpgDSCF4233.jpgI was able to make it home from work before dark today. So I yanked the M1009 frame out of the tree line and pushed it in the garage. Of course after I pulled the salvage unit out. I put the 4 front cab bolts back in the frame to body and backed it out. It has a drain on the batteries somewhere. Easy to find. I think the dome lamp was on. M1028 cab is still here on its back. DSCF4234.jpgDSCF4235.jpgDSCF4236.jpgDSCF4237.jpgDSCF4238.jpgGoing to get the brush guard and bumper off tonight. I want to remove the motor mount perches so I can remove all the brake lines without bending them. Makes for a nicer blast and paint job. Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

DSCF4239.jpgDSCF4240.jpgDSCF4241.jpgDSCF4242.jpgDSCF4243.jpgDSCF4244.jpgI have all the brake/fuel lines off the frame. All the bolt on brackets and rubber bump stops are off. This is a 30 year old frame that was on a 35K mile M1009. I bought it and it had no title and the rear axle was missing out of it. I removed a crate axle and started putting it in and never received a title so I used the body for a rusty M1009 that had a title and used the engine in another M1028 that needed an engine and I still have the rest of the truck around here in pieces. This completes the recycling/repurposing of this entire vehicle. Took 18+ years but good things take time. Another hour and I would have had the axles out and all the springs are going right on the scrap pile. I think they look a bit drooped and tired looking. I like the feel of new springs in stock height. The M1008 I just rebuilt had a great stance and sat nice and tall with the stock tires. I want the M1009 to sit level. Most K5's I see are hanging in the rear. Tomorrow is another day. Bare frame is the goal. I want to get the salvage back in the barn and start stripping the drive line out of it. Thanks for looking. It is a pleasure to work on my projects and I look forward to my CUCV projects every day. Not sure what drives me but it sure beats sitting around complaining and watching TV and sports.

cucvrus

DSCF4245.jpgDSCF4246.jpgDSCF4247.jpgDSCF4248.jpgDSCF4249.jpgDSCF4251.jpgDSCF4252.jpgDSCF4253.jpgI am moving right along on this Salvage M1009 project. I put the frame in the shop on Wednesday night and it is stripped and at the sand blaster before dark on Friday after work. The axles I removed look great. The 4 leaf spring packs I pitched in the scrap bin. Same as all the U-bolts and shackles. Must clean out the shop tomorrow and get the M1009 back in. I have some winches to mount on the barn beams to lift the body from the frame. I would say that body weighs less then 2,00lbs. DSCF4250.jpgAfter some looking at the bushings on the front spring shackle bushings I want to say. If you never changed your spring bushings you should. They are in bad shape at this point. This was a 35K vehicle and was sitting in the tree line as a bare frame for 18 years. Look at the bushings. Bad shape. The front brake pads were like new and the calipers were very rough shape. Good for cores at Autozone. Thanks for looking. I am moving along at a good speed on this project. The weather has been great and everything is going well. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

Going out to get something done today. Too much sitting around makes me a lazy old man. Can't have that. I have a few CUCV's to work on. Happy Holidays. I want to see the body of the M1009 hanging from the ceiling this weekend.

cucvrus

DSCF4254.jpgDSCF4255.jpgDSCF4256.jpgDSCF4257.jpgDSCF4258.jpgDSCF4259.jpgI wasted no time today. I was on task early and stayed going in the right direction. I received a lot of help from the Family and friends. The Wife stuck with me in the cold with the doors open all day. I met my weekend goal and exceeded it with the top and gate removed. The gate took some weight off and also gives me the opportunity to clean and paint everything that is in need of some attention. The truck body is hanging from the winches. I am going to pull the engine with a winch after I get everything disconnected and the body on a cart. DSCF4260.jpgDSCF4261.jpgDSCF4262.jpgDSCF4263.jpgDSCF4264.jpgI opened the petcock on the radiator and left it drain over night. Tomorrow or Monday I will tear into it again. It was with very little effort to winch the body up. The barn beams are 9" chestnut and solid. I drilled a 1/2" hole and used a 10" carriage bolt to secure 5 winches to the beams. The country boy can survive. Hey thanks for looking. Happy Holidays and keep track of this. I think less then 2 weeks into it and it is going well.

cucvrus

I am up bright and early today. I have to come up with a plan to get the body winched high and the chassis frame away from the body. I want to get them both in my shop to stay for the entire winter. I cleaned and removed just about everything I could except a spare 6.2 engine. I opted to use a beam mounted winch to remove the engine to eliminate as much clutter and best utilize floor space. On this project space is at a premium. I do not have the option of moving the body outside and want to keep everything as much intact as possible. Lets see where we can go today. I plan on having the entire rolling frame out the door by weeks end. Or have it chopped up and the lift kit separated for a new owner. Whoever that may be. The lift kit fly's either way. I will be selling it to purchase new rear stock springs. So that gives and idea on selling price. PM if interested. I also noticed the front driveshaft has the stop ground off so it can get a sharper angle on it. So that is wasted also. I can change out that yoke with another shaft. Thanks for looking. I will report back later. I am full of anxiety about this build because it has been a real challenge and going so well in the right direction. Weather has been getting colder daily and that has given me no problem as long as it is cold with no precipitation I am good. Take care I will do my daily report later today complete with pictures you all like. Happy Holidays. The thank yous are a great inspiration. I wish some of you guys were closer we could both learn from each other. No band aids so far so. So so far so GOOD.

cucvrus

All this was done today before lunch. I drove this in the shop yesterday. DSCF4265.jpgAll original battery cables and wiring in decent condition. DSCF4266.jpgMaster cylinder fluid is nice and clean. Very clear I can see the bottom of the reservoir. DSCF4267.jpgFront brakes were locked up. I was unable to move the chassis by hand. DSCF4268.jpg The left frame rail is a little rough. DSCF4269.jpgThat was easy. I washed my hands when I was done. The hardest part was getting the cotter pin out of the 4WD shift lever. I gave up and removed the lever from the transfer case. I think I will do that from now on. I relived the horrors of the past. DSCF4270.jpgDSCF4273.jpgDSCF4272.jpgDSCF4271.jpgNot as nice as GM assembly but getting the job done. DSCF4275.jpgI have my cab cart at the ready. I am going to clean and lube the cab cart wheels before I bolt it fast. The smaller wheeled table will be the rear body cart. I think I can do it. I will report back later. The bell just rang. Lunch is over. Back to work. No helpers today. I will use the steel horses as safety stands while I work under the body.

cucvrus

DSCF4287.jpgSince floor space is at a premium and the M1009 will be torn down for a few months I opted to store everything in bins and in a large job box. Helps keep things in order and easy to find when I get back to reassembly. The cab cart did not fit the M1009 floor plan. That has slowed me down to a crawl. I am in the process of making another cart. I cut the cab cart apart and am adapting it to a larger frame to fit the M1009 floor plan. It is only going to be used to store the body on during frame dis-assembly and reassembly. I need to get the body off the winches on a cart and over to the front right side of the shop. Tomorrow is another day. Time to fall back and regroup. I have lots of brackets stashed I just need to dig around a bit. DSCF4284.jpgDSCF4286.jpgDSCF4285.jpgDSCF4283.jpgWork in progress. And at an idle right now. I am thinking the project thru. I could sawzall the frame to pieces. The thought has crossed my mind. See what I can find tomorrow. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

DSCF4288.jpgTwas the weeks before Christmas and all thru the barn. I was not resting and taking care of the farm. The Blazer was hung from the barn beams with care in hopes that a donor frame soon would be there. And Then. And Then. Lesson for the night. Harbor freight casters are scrap. Even free ones. I had 4 and never used them. They failed with just the M1009 body on them. 1000 lb each. I say the body weighs less then 2K. DSCF4289.jpgDSCF4290.jpgDSCF4291.jpgDSCF4292.jpgDSCF4293.jpgDSCF4294.jpgDSCF4295.jpgI made some blocks with white pine 4 X 4's. Scrap wood from work. I was able to get the 2 items past each other in the barn. I have the body stored for the winter. I want to put a plastic cover over it. I do a lot of work in the barn and don't want it to get an inch of crud in it. It is dirty enough but it is all easy to clean dirt. Saw dust and sanding dirt don't need added to the mix. I have an itchy finger for the sawzall to get the frame cut up after I get the driveline out. This M1009 has a long hose on the transmission vent hose. that was my idea of a deep water fjording kit back in the day. I cut logs out of the stream near here that were jammed up at the bridge from a flood that went thru. Massive Oak trees and unlimited firewood. I had to drive down stream and load them and go back up stream. I had an M416 trailer I used. It worked great. Sold the trailer and never looked back. This project is moving right along. Consider I drove it in the barn under its own power on Saturday at 1PM. Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays. The 4" lift kit is going outside ASAP. I will trade for a NOS set of rear springs. That is 4 springs 6 shocks the brake lines and the steering arm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks