• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

As I was cleaning I came across many receipts from the local Chevrolet dealer that was just down the road. They are out of business now.
Genuine GM block Heater PN 996246 I know this subject has arose on several occasions. It is a direct fit in the center freeze plug on drivers side. I installed many. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. More barn cleaning today. I hope to some CUCV work done but time and rain are holding me back.

cucvrus

After work today I continued cleaning the garage and cut up 12 beer cases of scrap wood that I had been using and picked up in the barn bays. It was all sorts and the 4x4's that I used to do my cab offs and the M1009 body storage. I also went to Autozone and picked up my new WAI wiper motor. It has everything but the wiper arm. I did a side by side comparison with the AC Delco and the WAI. Both imports and I was able to do and even exchange on the WAI. I had a Cardone rebuild that I bought back when I rebuilt this truck in 2007. Still had the receipt in the glove box. This motor was $139 no core required and the Cardone was $39.95 and is still that price. Autozone does not carry the Cardone any longer. I liked the new motor because it was complete and will look good on my current build. Like I say. I don't care who or where it was built as long as it fits and functions. These wiper motors have always been troublesome. It is an old antiquated design from the 60's. Thank you for looking. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. DSCF6810.JPGDSCF6811.JPGDSCF6812.JPG

richingalveston

I will have to check out getting one of those wiper motors. I just bought one without the built in pump because no one in my area had them. Thanks for posting the info. I would like to have one with the built in pump. maybe I can exchange the one I just purchased last month
Rich

cucvrus

Below I have posted a step by step pictorial on changing the stock wiper washer motor. May I also add that I recommend removing all the wiper linkage and using grease and oil on all the pivot joints. It makes a world of difference. Unless you like that squeaking , binding wiper sound during use. I don't and it makes the whole system work smoother and easier. Changing the wiper motor was very easy. I hope it helps just one person and I feel it was worth posting. I see many times people remove the nut on the motor and drop the arm. that is the hard way. Grease the ball on the arm when you reattach and everything will be smooth. I would like to say this fixed my troubles. But at this point I am undecided. I have to admit that I am unable and have never successfully changed a wiper motor switch in the column. I ruined 1 column and offered a shop $100. to change one for me. They said no. I bought a used steering column and changed the entire column. I did not spend much time diagnosing the issue but I had trouble getting the stalk back in after it seemed loose in the current column and I removed the stalk. I will look closer at the issue some time over the weekend. Hoping it is a minor fix. But whatever I need to resolve it. These issues slow me down but never stop me. I have a few extra columns as back up but was hoping to retain the stock one in the stock position. If it is not broke don't fix it. I would rather change a transmission than change the wiper switch. Have a Great Day and Be safe. More Later.

Attachments

cucvrus

Welcome to my nightmare
I think you're gonna like it
I think you're gonna feel like you belong
A nocturnal vacation
Unnecessary sedation
You want to feel at home 'cause you belong
Welcome to my nightmare
Welcome to my breakdown
I hope I didn't scare you
That's just the way we are when we come down
We sweat and laugh and scream here
'cause life is just a dream here
You know inside you feel right at home here

Now you see what I am talking about. I think I should take a column apart and master this. It looks like a lot of dirt and crud are inside these columns. Along with a lot of parts that just fall and fly while you are taking it apart.

Group vote.
1.) Change the column
2.) Master the switch replacement
If I were to master this I could rebuild steering columns as a side job. Being that I haven't had a drink in 5 years this may push me over the edge. I will think about this and clean my work bench in the basement and start to dis assemble one of these monsters. I worked at a GM garage back in the 80's and in 1984 when they went to this new switch they GM called it the Smart stalk. Now I know why. You must be a genius to disassemble and reassemble properly. I am game either way. Looks like an adventure without leaving home. Have a Great Day. Be Safe. Friends don't let friends hack CUCV's.

Last edited:

richingalveston

you can handle it. I did mine. there are a couple of tools that help and are pretty cheap. I cannot remember what they are but I have them in the barn.
The best suggestion I can give you is to take a lot of pictures as you take it apart.
Rich

cucvrus

Where are your pictures? Pictures or it never happened. I looked in the manual and see nothing that gives complete instructions. I will continue to do my research. I will master the task. Like I mentioned these 30+ year old columns are full of mud and crud. I scoped mine and it looks dry and nasty in there.

Sezzo

Where are your pictures? Pictures or it never happened. I looked in the manual and see nothing that gives complete instructions. I will continue to do my research. I will master the task. Like I mentioned these 30+ year old columns are full of mud and crud. I scoped mine and it looks dry and nasty in there.
Of course you will master the switch replacement. We count on you. Won‘t be easy but once you mastered it you will master all upcoming switch replacements with a relaxed smile in your face.

cucvrus

OK. I went out and looked and came up with a plan. I will use this column from a scrap M1009 as the experimental column. The M1009 has been in the yard for 20 years and I want to dispose of it in Spring. I am going to remove everything salvageable and save the frame. It has a front axle, wiring harness. and frame that is about all that is left. Shame was it was a 13K M1009 when I bought it. It had no title and was sold as residue. It has no steering gear box. I removed that years ago. I would have removed the steering column today but I have my Grand children and they are cold outside. Poor excuse for me. But I opted to go in out of the blowing snow. I can do it another day. I have robbed a few parts from this column in the past. More later. I came back and dressed up my grammar. Paragraphs and punctuation may not pass the class but the subject and content are legit. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

I looked around in my shop manuals and found the GM shop manuals for 1984, 1985, 1986 CK10-30 and K5 utility. These manuals cover every thing in light duty truck line. P & G van and Suburban. The information to remove the wiper switch is vague at best. It has page after page of how to rebuild the wiper motor and diagnose wiper/washer issues. But a few small diagrams that show the column in pieces and it reminds me of a parts breakdown picture. Almost the same picture that the TM 9-2320-289-34P Figure 127 Group 1401 Mechanical Steering Gear Assembly Figure 127 Steering Wheel and Column. I found this is one of least illustrated items in the entire set of manuals. Many of the pictures show the old pre 1984 column. I will work this out. Maybe I can get some pictures and help out. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

cucvrus

I went and looked thru a few stored TM's I had for many years. I have a TM 9-2320-289-34 Intermediate direct support/General Support maintenance manual. Better pictures of changing the turn signal switch and that's about it. I will keep looking. I can change the turn signal switch with one eye closed. Not sure. I will keep looking. I really like some information before I make the piece fly again.

ehuppert

Yes Rick, I' also following on this one! My wipers only work on low. I'm thinking it's the switch as can get it to work with a jumper wire! Additionally, in cold weather the ignition switch is hard to turn! Been like that for the over ten years I've had it!!!! Truck is coming together slowly, but still in the garage, so neither of these issues are a showstopper yet!!!!

Eric

cucvrus

I have done all this before. Taking them apart was a piece of cake. You just remove fasteners and pieces fall off. I took several apart. It is like anything else. Getting it back together and operational is the most important part. I have several CUCV columns I disassembled. I just gave one away a few months ago to antenna climber. I will master this task. My point is that no publication gives all the details and the correct assembly method. Almost like it don't matter just so the parts fit. I know better. I been there and tried. After a few hours I just replaced the steering column in the past. Now I have a limited supply and know it is a problem that I may have to deal with on customers vehicles. Because even the $50. used columns have worn out wiper switches. And even these are getting harder to find. More to come. Tomorrow after the regular job I will remove the column from my donor M1009. Cordless tools are great.

cucvrus

Update. After spending a few hours reading and looking for a diagram with the wiper switch illustrated I give up. I have found the closest written step by step instructions I am going to find in TM 9-2320-289-34 section 8-2 Steering column maintenance. It shows everything but the wiper switch. Almost like it don't exist. But when I get it torn down that far I can get it back together again. Or I will give it a great try. Time for rest. Be Safe.

cucvrus

My old scrap M1009 still has a few parts on it. It was 39* today and the sun was shining. After digging the black sealer from the under hood column support nuts I was quick to get the nuts and bracket removed. DSCF6828.JPGDSCF6826.JPGThis DSCF6827.JPGThis is the under hood firewall side steering column bracket. Held in with 2 M10 studs. 15mm socket required for removal. Spray them they are old and tight. DSCF6830.JPGDSCF6828.JPGI need to get some practice on this new picture posting. The writing is hard to follow. I will keep trying. Under side of the dash you can see the column has not been disturbed. Remove the 6 lag screws with a 10mm socket. I am going to start over. I myself am confused and I done the work.

Attachments

cucvrus

I will give this another try. I went down at about 3PM and was done by 330.DSCF6826.JPG DSCF6826.JPGDSCF6828.JPGThe under hood column support bracket is held in with 2 M10 nuts. they are 15mm and rusty tight. I sprayed them with PB Blaster. DSCF6830.JPGRemove the 6 lag screws that hold the cover plate to the firewall from inside the truck cab. they are 10mm hex screws. DSCF6831.JPGNext the 2 bracket support nuts. They are also M10 15mm hex head nuts. DSCF6833.JPGThe column will come down and now you must carefully remove all the wiring harness plugs from the column. They are old and fragile so I used care to prevent breaking them. Being cold outside today did not make it any easier. But easy enough just use care and patience. DSCF6833.JPGDSCF6834.JPGTurn the column over and remove the plug for the wipers and use care getting the snap lock from the plate. A needle nose pliers works well to squeeze the tabs and push thru the holes. Or just go wild and wire tie everything in a big mess. What ever suits you. DSCF6835.JPGThe column is out and I removed it in 1/2 and hour. If I could have opened the door all the way I could have been quicker. I recommend using cordless tools it makes life easier and saves lots of time during disassembly and reassembling. OK. Now that part is done. This column has been molested before and it does have some parts missing. But it is the perfect learning piece and I have it in my home basement. More to come as I tear into it. I have the manuals and studied them extensively. I will keep you posted. I think I can, I think I can. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. Thank you for looking. I hope you are learning something. I am. 0

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks