• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

I just ordered a new rear gate glass for my M1009 project. I will have to settle for a slight tint to the glass. All the clears I seen had railroad track scratches and streaks in them. I want to get the gate back together and then I will work on getting the doors together 1 at a time. No need to rush. As weather permits till spring. Be safe and Have a Great Day.

ssdvc

I just ordered a new rear gate glass for my M1009 project. I will have to settle for a slight tint to the glass. All the clears I seen had railroad track scratches and streaks in them. I want to get the gate back together and then I will work on getting the doors together 1 at a time. No need to rush. As weather permits till spring. Be safe and Have a Great Day.
Hey Rick, where did you order the rear glass from? That back window of mine is fairly beat up and I wouldn't mind replacing it.

Jahsbsh

View attachment 709313View attachment 709314View attachment 709315View attachment 709316View attachment 709317View attachment 709318View attachment 709319View attachment 709320View attachment 709321View attachment 709322

I checked out the entire vehicle. The doors and gate are great. The interior just needs a major cleaning. I see how they were getting in and out of the truck playing hide and seek. They were hiding in the cargo area. I can see the muddy foot prints. I will need to scrub and hose that area out. The frame at the steering box is wasted. Time to pull it in the shop and get wrenching and working on it. Enough lolly gagging.
I'm gonna need a new tailgate because mine is completely rusted out. Where do I find one?

cucvrus

To answer the question above. I do NOT sell on line. If you need CUCV parts I will sell them to you but I am NOT listed on line. Today I worked on an M1009 rear gate glass sash. I was cleaning up and found a used sash with broken glass attached in the channel.DSCF6931.JPGDSCF6932.JPGI have brand new GM sash but would rather use a salvageable one if it is still usable. Easy way is to clamp the sash in a vise with the guide bracket and get a 1/4" blade long handle straight screwdriver and go at it. I followed up with a vacuum hose all the way as I pried the sash glass / DSCF6933.JPGDSCF6934.JPGDSCF6935.JPGDSCF6936.JPGrubber out. As I alway mention the end of the sash is the guide in the window channels and if you just replace the window guides without cleaning and polishing the sash you are wasting your time and money. The ends of the sash will tear up the new guides very quickly. I used a rotary wire brush and a 2" rolok disc to polish the ends and followed up with a bit of wax. Any hard wax will help and make the windows trip up and down thru the new channels a smooth trip. DSCF6939.JPGDSCF6940.JPGI followed up with the rotary wire brush and cleaned the entire sash and in the glass channel. I will be gluing the glass in this sash. it is clean thru and thru and i will spray paint it with some dull aluminum Krylon. A;ways does a great job and makes it look good and operational. I hope this helps and Good Luck with your projects. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

cucvrus

M1009Chopped M1009.jpgThis AM I was over at the farm and looking at a few things I have in the storage building. I have this M1009 that was sold and I bought it back. It was stripped and many of the body parts are gone. That is no big problem. But this is the one I wanted to make a 1973-1975 full convertible out of. I am having second thoughts after looking at it. It is a survivor and only has 52K original miles on it. I bought and sold it and done lots of work on it. The owner lost interest and passed away. I feel it needs to be made whole again. It still has the same batteries in it and the super structure /tub is in excellent condition. NOT perfect but better than many I see. That puts me in a quandary. I have the A pillar, seats, console and doors from the 1974 K5 and really want to build a full convertible K5. I don't want to sacrifice a very valuable M1009 to do so. I am indecisive at this time. Let me mull it over for while. mean while any positive input is appreciated. This is on schedule as my LAST CUCV to ever produce. I have Little Red as my next rebuild. Have a Great Weekend. It is a little cold out but I still want to get something completed. maybe that darn elusive rear glass will show up today. The brand new $100. one. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Another plus to this M1009 is that it has a brand new exhaust system front to back and in 2 1/2" aluminum coated pipe with the factory fish mouth tail pipes. It also has rebuilt alternators, starter and a rebuilt injection pump. I had the transmission over hauled in it before I sold it. it was one of them vehicles that someone stopped by and offered me crazy cash for and I left it go. He took it home and stripped it to rebuild it and no one knows where the body parts went. Including all the glass and the roof. I was in the process of repainting it when he bought it. It was a supposed to be a Father / Son project as I remember and it turned out Son sold all the body panels for scrap after Father passed. That's the word. Not positive but from what I heard. It was supposed to get lifted and all that never happened thank God. I did see the core of the radiator is still seeping. Original radiator so I am not surprised. Last year it glowed and started. It is in the 20's today so I will give it some time in warmer weather it will fire right up. I fixed all the hard stuff. Now just need to reassemble. Still in a conundrum about how to finish it. The full convertible with everything done CUCV original would be awesome but conjectural to it's finished value. But none the less one of a kind when completed. With the low back seats all done in the stock marine grade color vinyl I am thinking it would pop. I would also weather proof everything as well as possible. I think the steering column would be the item that would not take the weather well. Because I am thinking of it as a topless truck and only garaged when not driven. It will get caught in inclement weather on occasion. Maybe just a seal at the base of the steering wheel where it meets the column housing. HMMWV gauges would work in the cluster. They are weather resistant. Is the HMMWV speedometer cable driven off the TH400? I have 2 paths I can go by and there is still time to change the road I'm on. My Mule was a cool ride for many years. I do like the look of the full convertible. And imagine that step by step instructions. I have all the parts also. High and dry in the barn.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sezzo

Another plus to this M1009 is that it has a brand new exhaust system front to back and in 2 1/2" aluminum coated pipe with the factory fish mouth tail pipes. It also has rebuilt alternators, starter and a rebuilt injection pump. I had the transmission over hauled in it before I sold it. it was one of them vehicles that someone stopped by and offered me crazy cash for and I left it go. He took it home and stripped it to rebuild it and no one knows where the body parts went. Including all the glass and the roof. I was in the process of repainting it when he bought it. It was a supposed to be a Father / Son project as I remember and it turned out Son sold all the body panels for scrap after Father passed. That's the word. Not positive but from what I heard. It was supposed to get lifted and all that never happened thank God. I did see the core of the radiator is still seeping. Original radiator so I am not surprised. Last year it glowed and started. It is in the 20's today so I will give it some time in warmer weather it will fire right up. I fixed all the hard stuff. Now just need to reassemble. Still in a conundrum about how to finish it. The full convertible with everything done CUCV original would be awesome but conjectural to it's finished value. But none the less one of a kit when completed. With the low back seats all done in the stock marine grade color vinyl I am thinking it would pop. I would also weather proof everything as well as possible. I think the steering column would be the item that would not take the weather well. Because I am thinking of it as a topless truck and only garaged when not driven. It will get caught in inclement weather on occasion. Maybe just a seal at the base of the steering wheel where it meets the column housing. HMMWV gauges would work in the cluster. They are weather resistant. Is the HMMWV speedometer cable driven off the TH400? I have 2 paths I can go by and there is still time to change the road I'm on. My Mule was a cool ride for many years. I do like the look of the full convertible. And imagine that step by step instructions. I have all the parts also. High and dry in the barn.

Oh well, not an easy decision, Rick. Maybe you should rebuild this M1009 as a real survivor and safe its value because of its good condition and take another M1009 which is a little bit beyond repair and change it to a full convertible. That would be two more major projects after Little Red - I know. But think of all the parts in your barn. They need to get a second (or third) life in one of your great builds.

cucvrus

Today was a very cold day in Central Pennsylvania. I did manage to get a few hours of outside work done. I did attempt to work on my M1009 rear glass project. the glass was delivered today. And before you get all that is made in Chinafied.DSCF6946.JPG I bought it from a direct supplier that currently supplies GM with the glass for all the new current built vehicles. I was about to call BS and when the glass man came to deliver he pointed to the box DSCF6946.JPGand bet me my new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado truck has the same make glass. I doubted it but sure enough. DSCF6948.JPGWhoomp there it is.DSCF6949.JPGThis the drivers door glass on my 2019 Trail Boss. DSCF6914.JPGDSCF6947.JPGLots of projects at the moment. Too COLD to work on them. There will be another day. I can work in my house until the weather permits outside work. This winter is mild and spoiling me. No plows are damaged. Be Safe and Enjoy Life.

cucvrus

This afternoon the Glass company came by and was going to install my windshield for me into the M1009 project. I had the rubber all clean and the brand new windshield that I had stored for 10 years and tiptoed around all that time turned out to be scrap. I guess I could have used it but it was in storage in a cardboard sleeve and the glass was brand new. We removed it from the sleeve and put it on the glass stand and cleaned it spotless. It had slight delamination on the edges and had a few white areas in the glass that were between the lamination. I suspect it was from being stored. Well needless to say I never got a windshield installed today. I guess I will be getting a Fuyao windshield this time around. The one with no antenna wire and as close to clear as possible. Maybe NOT possible but a new spotless windshield will be better than a stained one. Some people would have been fine with it. I was not. Came to far to skip details. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

cucvrus

Might I add I stored the glass and several other parts in an S280 shelter that I have. It is like a green house inside and always makes things rusty/moldy. I never see water inside but it is sweating, tight and damp. Not a very good place to store things. Northside of a barn under a big tree. It too shall be finding a new home during the next few months. Time moves on and my interests have changed. Organizing and down sizing are better and easier at this point in life.

Lostforwords

Might I add I stored the glass and several other parts in an S280 shelter that I have. It is like a green house inside and always makes things rusty/moldy. I never see water inside but it is sweating, tight and damp. Not a very good place to store things. Northside of a barn under a big tree. It too shall be finding a new home during the next few months. Time moves on and my interests have changed. Organizing and down sizing are better and easier at this point in life.

Less is more I suppose. Hope all is well with you Sir.

cucvrus

Today after work it was such a nice day I decided to get a few things completed or started. Depends on how you look at it. I hung the rear gate glass sash from the tree and painted it. I clean and paint everything I work on. No point in assembling rusty dirty parts. DSCF6950.JPGDSCF6951.JPG
I set out my new rear gate glass and put some adhesive in the sash jam. Positioned the sash properly on the bottom end of the glass and clamped it in place. DSCF6952.JPGDSCF6953.JPGDSCF6954.JPGNext I had some time and wanted to remove a good unpainted windshield rubber from a scrap M1028 cab I have setting around since 2005. That was easy. If I needed that windshield it would have broken for sure. I have been practicing and have gotten pretty good at getting them out without breaking them. That method in the TM. Forget that. Shows a troop setting with his feet against the glass pushing. NO NOT going to do it. It comes out just fine the gentle way. DSCF6955.JPGDSCF6956.JPGDSCF6957.JPGDSCF6954.JPGDSCF6958.JPGDSCF6959.JPGNow I have a nice paint free rubber for another fine build. Not sure which one but still a good save. Look at them Mud Daubers nests. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. Thank you for looking. Do it right the first time and don't always try and re-engineer everything. Makes it easier all around. New is NOT always better. Old serviceable parts work fine.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I made a purchase of the LMC Flat Glass black mirrors. They seem to be as original as possible. I am not a huge fan of the knock off parts but at this point I am trying for quality parts. these are better than the ones with the rubber mounted glass. They also appear to be well made and are "Made in Taiwan" No problem with that here. I will sand them lightly and paint them to match the M1009. I also bought the complete door seal kit and it is " Made in Thailand" It also appears to be good quality. I will be installing them in the next few weeks and will keep you posted. Spring is near and time to get this long project completed. But not in haste. I want to monitor and maintain my quality on each item. The finished unit will be a direct reflection of my abilities. As soon as this weekend weather permitting I would like to wrap up the entire tailgate project. That is my goal. The mirrors I will prep for paint and paint as weather permits also. I work out of an unheated barn. I would rather work outside on nice days. Thank you for following and supporting my work. Be Safe.

38-5828
MIRROR-GM STYLE-LH-FLATBLACK 73-871$24.95IN STOCKADD TO CART
38-5829MIRROR-GM STYLE-RH-FLATBLACK 73-871$24.95

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks