• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

Todays progress report. RSR. Raining So Resting. Didn't get home till 600 so took a needed rest tonight. I don't let that happen often. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

DSCF4294.jpgDSCF4295.jpgDSCF4296.jpgDSCF4297.jpgDSCF4298.jpgDSCF4299.jpgBack on task tonight after work. I wanted to remove the engine wiring harness. That was done easily. I removed the starter, fly wheel cover, bell bolts, alternators, fan, exhaust bolts/nuts, fly wheel/flex plate bolts, steering box, drained the transmission, and transfer case. Called it a night. Everything is coming apart easily. I rebuilt this entire truck 2 months before it was wrecked back in 2006-2007. Happy Holidays. Hope you are learning something. I am enjoying the challenge. I have a goal for a bare frame by Monday. I am slacking I know. But I have other work I must do also.

cucvrus

DSCF4305.jpgDSCF4306.jpgDSCF4307.jpgDSCF4308.jpgDSCF4309.jpgDSCF4310.jpgDSCF4311.jpgDSCF4312.jpgOK after taking a night off to go pick up another tractor I bought I am back and at it. I feel like I am kicking butt on this project. I drove this truck in the garage on the first Saturday December 2017. It was at 1PM. It is now just sitting with the axles in it. I must work in the AM. I have a goal to get the frame stripped and out of my shop. I want to put my tractor in the shop and check it out. I bought it and never checked it out really close. But I will have time. I am about to hibernate for the winter. Just partial hibernation. I used my little wheeled table. I need a bigger one for engines but it will work for now. I pulled the engine with the beam winch. Worked great. Saves me the picker floor space. The engine, transmission, transfer case fit nicely on the table and I wheeled it into place. I was able to remove each side of the exhaust in one piece. I had someone ask if I was keeping the big pipes on the build. I said yes. It was a brand new exhaust and is a solid expensive piece. The truck sounds great with it. When I am completed and someone would envy buying it they can change the exhaust. I have the spring bolts out of the frame. Gravity is basically holding it together till tomorrow. Then Poof it's all apart and stored for the long winters nap. I was also out salvaging heavy oak wood blocks from the decking boom. Happy Holidays. I hope you are enjoying the build. If NOT well Have a great time at ping pong or watching TV.

Attachments

cucvrus

Mission Acomplished Goal exceeded

Well I done it. I had the frame pulled out and bare and tethered fast to the barn wall. In exactly 1 week after driving it in the shop. The axles, body and driveline are all stored and out of my way. I am onto another project. My Kubota tractor. I never owned a Kubota before. I am impressed with how well built they are. I worked out there the past 2 weeks with no heat. That gets old fast. I will be partially hibernating this winter. When the frame comes back from being blasted and painted I may do some thing. I have the complete lift kit available. How do I get the drop arm off the front axle knuckle? DSCF4321.jpgDSCF4322.jpgDSCF4327.jpgDSCF4319.jpgDSCF4320.jpg
Happy Holidays.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That steering arm has the tapered cones to lock it. Judicious swinging of a hammer on the side sometimes jars the cone free. If that doesn't work you could tack the nuts to the studs and screw it all out together.

cucvrus

That steering arm has the tapered cones to lock it. Judicious swinging of a hammer on the side sometimes jars the cone free. If that doesn't work you could tack the nuts to the studs and screw it all out together.
Or just use the front differential out of the donor frame. This old guy don't like impact work. Shoulders and wrists don't feel well after words. I will get Jr to get it off or just rebuild the other differential. Thanks for the info. Still hating on the lift kits. I have a pile of 4" lift kit parts.

cucvrus

DSCF4334.jpgDSCF4336.jpgDSCF4335.jpgDug out the last set of loose heads I have on the property. I knew I had 1 but a few weeks back a member came for M1010 parts and found me another on in the M1010 he was salvaging parts from. I am going to drop them off and get ahead on the build with my parts. I bought the front calipers and warranted the front brake pas at Autozone. I have a lot of new parts to purchase till spring rolls around. That way I can get right on with the build. I like the break in work schedule. I am going to work mainly on as need basis for a while. Give myself a rest. Right now the Kubota is my passion and drive. Happy Holidays. Keep my fingers crossed that these heads have no cracks. This was a 1984-85 engine from the looks of the rocker arms. My wrecked M1009 still has the original transmission and engine that came from the factory. I know it had 3300 miles on it when I bought it is 1996.

cucvrus

I dropped off the used 6.2 heads at the machine shop this morning. I told them no hurry when ever you get to them. Sometimes that's a bad thing to do. I had an M1009 truck setting at a body shop for 8 years and told the guy no hurry when ever you get to it. One day I just went and picked it up. Good side was he stored it inside and had it covered all that time for free. I sold it after it sat that long the minor rust that was on it did not even compare to trucks of the same year. And it was in the back corner covered under a tarp all that time. It was all original including the paint and minor rust. The rust was at the mirror bracket holes and that is why I took it there to get fixed. It was back when I was hurt and out of service. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

DSCF4336.jpgMerry Christmas everyone. The CUCV thread is dead. I guess everyone is hibernating. Only news I have is my heads I sent to the machine shop are not cracked. They just need the valves seated and the bill will be $500. I am OK with that. Beats a crack head. I have been busy playing with my new toy. The Kubota 4 X 4 tractor. It is a little tractor but very HD and cool. Well designed and easy to clean and service. Merry Christmas. I am still staying busy just taking a break from the CUCV stuff.

cucvrus

DSCF4382.jpgI had both the alternators and the starter rebuilt. Not sure if they needed it or not. But I also told him to make them pretty also. Most times I just want them fixed I don't care about the cosmetics. This time I opted for it. Merry Christmas.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 713292I had both the alternators and the starter rebuilt. Not sure if they needed it or not. But I also told him to make them pretty also. Most times I just want them fixed I don't care about the cosmetics. This time I opted for it. Merry Christmas.
Sometimes, pretty is good! I usually put function over form, but it's truly nice when you can do both. Merry Christmas!

cucvrus

Father Christmas..jpgI was out plowing with the CUCV's a few hours. Spent some time out on the snow blower and then the back pack blower. Best winter combo ever invented. It may look cold but it is about 5*F and the snow never gets wet. I am dry and warm. I was out for 5 hours straight snow blowing. Went home put all the clothes in the dryer and went out another 4 hours to split wood. My diesel log splitter was a bit temperamental to start but it succumbed to my stubborn Dutch attitude. It has a cap on the head that you screw off and put a few drops of motor oil in. I then pull the rope until it is up on compression. Hit the decompression lever. Give it a quick pull and it starts right up. Just thought it would be cool if the 6.2 had a similar lever to get the engine spinning quickly and then automatically release and start it in cold climates. I had this on a Kubota engine already. But for the record I did rope start a diesel engine in 4*F weather. It was a single cylinder diesel Yanmar. Happy New Year. Stay warm. Give the CUCV a break and keep the salt out of it. It already has 30 years of rust eating at it.

cucvrus

Yesterday brought 50* weather and an opportunity to get outside after work and do some garage clean up. I am getting ready for a busy season of rebuilding a few CUCV trucks. I have 2 M1009's to complete this season. 1 is my decade wreckage project and the other will be my crew cut conversion on an 86 M1009 I have been stashing in an out shed for a few years now. I want to chop the entire roof and do a full 1974 A pillar only conversion to it. It will be unique and I like different. I must get up to the sand blaster and get the frame completed and back in my shop. I have a Kubota project I am working slowly on and have that complete as soon as my front end loader arrives. I hope to get rolling here as the weather improves. I will post progress pictures as they occur. Have a great day.

cucvrus

A bit off topic but of interest. During my travels over the past weekend thru a major snow storm. I had my trailer hooked to the back of my truck. When I discovered the extent of the storm and the unsafe conditions I opted to let the trailer at a relatives place 100 miles from home. Glad I did. When I unhooked the trailer I left the hitch/pintle/ball hitch in the receiver. I was at a gas station and a driver at the other pump said hey you better remove that hitch. It is illegal to have a hitch when not pulling a trailer. I smelled B/S and drove on. I was in a small town after being detoured off of I 81 and a local yokal cop while we were stopped said hey "word to the wise get the hitch out it is illegal" He said I won't site you but someone else might. Well I thought about it and that bothered me. After 40 years of driving why a hitch would be illegal. I mean short of busting my shin once. Once was enough. I called the Pennsylvania State Police. They said NO it is not illegal. If it does not conceal the license plate it is legal. I like the 6" safety zone it creates behind my truck and most times it is not in the receiver. I was told by the PSP Trooper if I ever get a ticket in PA to call and give them the statute code/ vehicle code violation. I have the troopers name in my phone and will travel freely again. Some states my vary but Pennsylvania is a trailer hitch state. Why would it matter? The date and time of call are recorded. Have a Great Day and be safe.

dougco1

A bit off topic but of interest. During my travels over the past weekend thru a major snow storm. I had my trailer hooked to the back of my truck. When I discovered the extent of the storm and the unsafe conditions I opted to let the trailer at a relatives place 100 miles from home. Glad I did. When I unhooked the trailer I left the hitch/pintle/ball hitch in the receiver. I was at a gas station and a driver at the other pump said hey you better remove that hitch. It is illegal to have a hitch when not pulling a trailer. I smelled B/S and drove on. I was in a small town after being detoured off of I 81 and a local yokal cop while we were stopped said hey "word to the wise get the hitch out it is illegal" He said I won't site you but someone else might. Well I thought about it and that bothered me. After 40 years of driving why a hitch would be illegal. I mean short of busting my shin once. Once was enough. I called the Pennsylvania State Police. They said NO it is not illegal. If it does not conceal the license plate it is legal. I like the 6" safety zone it creates behind my truck and most times it is not in the receiver. I was told by the PSP Trooper if I ever get a ticket in PA to call and give them the statute code/ vehicle code violation. I have the troopers name in my phone and will travel freely again. Some states my vary but Pennsylvania is a trailer hitch state. Why would it matter? The date and time of call are recorded. Have a Great Day and be safe.
Same deal and situation in New York, no such law. Though I had ripped a perfectly good pair of pants at a convenience store when a customer decided to back his truck in by the entry door blocking 1/2 the sidewalk. I muttered couple of off colored words and said they should have a law like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks