• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

So far the weekend is a wash for CUCV repairs. No injection pump yet. All is well I have an entire barn to paint. I also have a new front E brake cable to install on the M1009. I have a new one on it but it was for a truck and I had to cut and clamp it to fit. I choose NO. It was brand new GM one and I did cut it and splice it but don't suit me so I will be scrapping it. I am bored and looking at things on my project with a magnifying glass. I want no failures or short cuts. I will install the splash panels under the front aprons and cab mounts after I get the new cable in place. Pictures later. I couldn't even see the cable with the splice but I knew it was there and it bothered me. A friend tried to convince me it was OK. I felt differently. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Today was a total wash for CUCV repairs. I had the third front EBrake cable and it was wrong. Not sure what is going wrong. The first one was a GM one for a truck. I was supposed to have bought a K5 one and installed it. It was too long so I cut and cable clamped it. DSCF7306.JPGDSCF7307.JPGThe second I cut was Chinese. In the scrap with it. It would have worked forever but it bugged me. The third cable I got Friday was Made in India. I don't care where it's made it has to fit. I didn't even bother trying to install it, it was also too long. If the local parts store is open tomorrow I will give that a try. I don't like being a player in this flu hoax but I will get my Wife to go pick it up. Something has to give. Or back to the cable clamps. Before the virus I had good parts stores. Now everyone is home or retired. New guys think you are working on the space shuttle when you mention full size K 5 Blazers. Found a few nice GM inner fenders while working on barn roof and wall repairs. Along with a few old steel fuel cans from the 50's thru the late 80's. Also some wooden ammo crates. Cool stuff. Forgot I had them.DSCF7301.JPG Everyone Be safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

Here we are 2 weeks out and I still have no replacement injection pump. No biggy. The COVID-19 has everything a mess at this point. The car dealership is closed to normal walk in business. I am happy doing other projects around the property and on other vehicles. I still have an E brake cable to replace. I will se if the correct one is in stock today. I will post pictures later if any CUCV progress takes place. Take Care and Be safe. Enjoy the Holiday weekend. Painting the barn roof is such great fun. Long slow process when done properly. The end results will always show the time well spent during preparation. the paint on top is only 1% of a paint job. It is preparation that makes the job look right. Think about that when you work on your CUCV. no half fast work accepted.

Attachments

dougco1

Here we are 2 weeks out and I still have no replacement injection pump. No biggy. The COVID-19 has everything a mess at this point. The car dealership is closed to normal walk in business. I am happy doing other projects around the property and on other vehicles. I still have an E brake cable to replace. I will se if the correct one is in stock today. I will post pictures later if any CUCV progress takes place. Take Care and Be safe. Enjoy the Holiday weekend. Painting the barn roof is such great fun. Long slow process when done properly. The end results will always show the time well spent during preparation. the paint on top is only 1% of a paint job. It is preparation that makes the job look right. Think about that when you work on your CUCV. no half fast work accepted.
Rick, Is that your flashing job on the chimney? You own a metal brake? Looks professional.

cucvrus

I cannot lie. I called in an Amish roofer and had him do the flashing. I looked at it on YouTube and figured I am not a roofer and I already have damage from water leaking. I will fix the damage and pay a roofer to do the flashing. It all works out that way for me. I know it would not have looked that good if I done the repairs. So I do what I am comfortable with and pay for what I am questionable of the end results. I don't need any more skills. Take Care and Be Safe. Enjoy the Holiday Weekend. Dougco1 this is my flashing and it comes in a roll. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucvrus-repair-projects.192437/page-4#lg=post-2292189&slide=2

cucvrus

Tomorrow will mark 3 weeks since I removed the injection pump from my M1009. Not that I have been sitting around waiting for something to do. But I do want to get rolling on my project. I think heavy rain is in forecast this weekend and I could install that pump in my torn apart barn. I opened up a major project on my barn and made an unwanted discovery of water damage. Always something to keep you busy. I will report more later. Be Safe.

cucvrus

OK it was not a productive weekend for my CUCV M1009 project but it was a great weekend for barn repairs. I was up on the barn roof and someone called me and never called back. Restricted number. Maybe the CIA. They needed a coolant crossover manifold. I said I would look. I did and have a few. I also removed the thermostat housing. I always recommend an impact to remove them bolts. Works out better that way. I never broke a housing with an impact. I did break a few with the long ratchet. Not sure if any rhyme to the reason but always works for me on steel bolts in aluminum housings. DSCF7374.JPGDSCF7375.JPGDSCF7376.JPG I also had someone PM me a question on the hole location and mounting location on the M1009 rear passenger area 24 volt buss bar and floor hole. I hope these help. This is a scrapper M1009 I have out in the field setting. DSCF7368.JPGDSCF7371.JPGDSCF7372.JPGDSCF7373.JPGNot the best pictures but I hope they help. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

I also had a PM asking me for the overall measurements of the rear M1009 cargo area. I took the measurements with the seat in the down position DSCF7363.JPG 41-42". I also measured the area to the cargo front floor drop. That would be the usable area with the seat in the folded position. I have no radio rack and can still fold me seat forward. Works well for me that way. DSCF7363.JPGThis is the measurement to the floor drop area. DSCF7364.JPGKeep in mind the tailgate will protrude into that area and some of the length will be lost. Width I measure from fuel can bracket to spare tire mounted. Stock size tire and mount. DSCF7365.JPGDSCF7366.JPGMaybe not the best for what you want to carry ladders and carpenter tools but useful for general utility work. Be Safe and Take Care.

cucvrus

OK. An update on the injection pump. I have never been in a rush. It is not my style. I do not like negativity and try and keep even keeled about delivery dates on items. It will be a month on Saturday June 6 that I removed the pump. I called and they are back logged. I can expect it in another week to 10 days. I am OK with that. This world is crazy at the moment and I have plenty of things to keep me busy. I always have lots of work at my barn these days. I have reliable transportation DSCF7360.JPGand I am not a carpenter but I will give it a roll. Angles are my weak point. It's is a barn and I am over building it. It's fun on my dime.DSCF7355.JPGbefore. DSCF7361.JPG After. DSCF7359.JPGMore fun in the shade to come. DSCF7367.JPGMean while dust is still gathering on my project. Dust beats rust. it is inside safe and sound in the dry. Using the other half of the shop as a wood shop has the dust floating. Take Care. More progress later. I have another front E brake cable again. Still not sure it is the right one but I will check it out and post my results. I will also post the part number.

Attachments

cucvrus

OK last night as I waited for my helper on my barn project I took the time to remove another incorrect E brake cable and install the correct one. I have had this same issue in the past but seems that the COVID 19 has closed the reliable local shops for a while. They are open again. Thank you. 2 cables I bought so I knew I had the correct one. The lower one is the M1009 and is a plug and play. DSCF7377.JPGThe top one is an M1008/M1028 /cab chassis CUCV cable. I had a new pick up one installed and just cut the cable. My time is worth more that the cost of the cable. Besides it will recycle.DSCF7378.JPGAnother handy socket to have when working with E Brake cable of days gone by is the extra deep Apex 1/2" socket on the cordless ratchet. DSCF7379.JPGThe brake cable is on and operational. The correct part number is Dorman. DSCF7383.JPG If that helps I am happy. It was a $20. cable and fit like a glove. Next I am onto barn work. Found this M1010 piece stashed in the barn behind boxes. I found a picture of it in Basic issue items list. NSN 2590-01-200-5808 Sling, Spreader. M1010. DSCF7384.JPG
Take Care and Be Safe. I am going to be offering the odd spreader for trade.

cucvrus

When you get a few minutes and you have nothing better to do just grab a few parts and install them on the CUCV. The front fender cab mount fillers were easy to install.DSCF7382.JPGDSCF7381.JPG It took me longer to find the correct fasteners to do the installation.DSCF7380.JPG I know these are missing on a lot of CUCV's but they do prevent to mud from building up on the front cab mounts when you have good inner fender aprons with no rot holes in them. Makes for a complete job and these are genuine GM ones I had stashed in my hoard. Take Care. thank you for looking. With a little luck I can wrap this project up in a few weeks make a deal and move onto my next M1009 adventure. Looking forward to it. It should move along quicker than this one. Should. Be Safe.

dougco1

When you get a few minutes and you have nothing better to do just grab a few parts and install them on the CUCV. The front fender cab mount fillers were easy to install.View attachment 801961View attachment 801963 It took me longer to find the correct fasteners to do the installation.View attachment 801962 I know these are missing on a lot of CUCV's but they do prevent to mud from building up on the front cab mounts when you have good inner fender aprons with no rot holes in them. Makes for a complete job and these are genuine GM ones I had stashed in my hoard. Take Care. thank you for looking. With a little luck I can wrap this project up in a few weeks make a deal and move onto my next M1009 adventure. Looking forward to it. It should move along quicker than this one. Should. Be Safe.
Rick, Whats the part # for those?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks