• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds a lot like REVENUE ENHANCEMENT to me , a lot like the old joke about the PD walking up to your vehicle and saying you were going $100.00 over the speed limit .

Drock

Sounds a lot like REVENUE ENHANCEMENT to me , a lot like the old joke about the PD walking up to your vehicle and saying you were going $100.00 over the speed limit .
Agreed small towns here in rural GA will issue $300.00 speeding tickets. And if you go to court the prosecutor will pull all the speeders out into the hall, and offer to reduce the ticket to $60.00, and get this ("REMOVE THE TICKET FROM YOUR RECORD"):recovry4x4: if you plead out. Talk about a crooked revenue scam.:shock: I believe the purpose of this is to let the locals off, but stick it to out of town travelers who can't take the time to go to court.2cents

Last edited:

cucvrus

I was in the garage sweeping and cleaning up transmission fluid that leaked from my M1009 resurrection project. At the right time Easter. I have been dragging my feet on this project during the winter months. But have been working out in the cold on other projects that needed done. I hope to get progress reports weekly going forward. I will start by getting the rust fixed on the left rear 1/4 panel. The same place they all rust thru. And besides the way I have it packed in there. I can do 1 side at a time. Not a whole lot of body work to do. I did see Just wanted to get the project documented.

cucvrus

DSCF4838.jpgDSCF4839.jpgDSCF4840.jpgDSCF4841.jpgDSCF4842.jpg
I picked up my frame from the sand blaster today. He blasted, epoxy primed sealed and painted the frame. The attachments to the frame are still there. I will pick them up when they are completed. Nice start to the project. I am going to assemble the driveline entirely on the frame and paint the body off the frame before I attach the 2. I am getting excited to start the build. I have other pressing things I am working on at the moment. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

I traded to get mine done. I had a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel engine that the guy wanted. I can ask. I gave him a lot of things over the years. You know me. I like to trade. I did supply the primer sealer and paint.

cucvrus

DSCF4872.jpgDSCF4871.jpgI picked up my M1009 frame parts today. They look great. I also had my mower deck belt covers done. I can hardly wait to get rolling on this project. I am eyeball deep in a few other projects. They are NON CUCV related but still important.

cucvrus

DSCF4877.jpgDSCF4878.jpgDSCF4879.jpgDSCF4880.jpgDSCF4881.jpgDSCF4882.jpgI sold the rear axle out of this project truck to a member here. When the time comes which is soon I will just have to uncrate one for the project. Might as well. Only hoarding them and taking up room. I sold the used one to the guy because he needed one. I have this one also. Take a look at it. It has one chip mark in the ring gear. I seen nothing on the magnet. Would you run it? The center tooth on the ring gear. Nothing else is wrong anywhere. Opinions. I would run it and I never looked at gears that close before. I pulled the covers and changed the oil and went to driving. Minor rust from sitting.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would run it . The chip in the gear doesn't bother me , I have seen worse , That being said I would be more concerned with the condition of bearings . Check for any roughness and/or rust in the bearings and if all is good replace the seals ,lube it up and go for it .

cucvrus

It is smooth. The only place it has mild rust is the area that was not submerged in gear oil. I am going to run it. That is so minor it hardly goes noticed. Sure you will never hear or feel that one chip ever. Clean oil and new seals are on the menu.

cucvrus

The mood has hit me. I am caught up enough on the lawns and other equipment to whip into the M1009. I will begin by doing what ever comes first and is the easiest to set up. Axles come to mind. And then the engine. Goal is to have axles on stands and engine down to long block assembly. Sounds doable. First a nice lunch. Pictures later. Enjoy the weather and Happy Fathers Day.

cucvrus

DSCF4997.jpgDSCF4998.jpgDSCF4999.jpgDSCF5001.jpgDSCF5002.jpgDSCF5003.jpgDSCF5004.jpgDSCF5005.jpgYou have to start somewhere. I figured the rear axle will be the first place. It is a fairly new crate axle I ran in the bush a few years back. The brakes are like new and the axles look good. I little moisture was on the center carrier but next to nothing on the gears. I will clean it up paint it and run it. Tomorrow should be a big day. I have new 4 new stock height leaf springs coming and the rebuilt heads will be picked up. the Mood has hit me big time. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF5006.jpgNever use this axle pin lock bolt over. Replace it every timeDSCF5007.jpgDSCF5008.jpgDSCF5009.jpgDSCF5010.jpgDSCF5011.jpgDSCF5012.jpgDSCF5013.jpgDSCF5014.jpgDSCF5015.jpg. I sanded and cleaned the rear axle housing and then I painted it. I was making great progress and decided to start the front axle. I have that stripped down as well. I need to send the front axle out to get front axle seals installed in the housing. Nice a light now. that is the time to do it. The axle is just a stripped housing now with the center carrier still in place. Have Great Day. The hardest part was getting the 4 inch lift arm off the left front knuckle. With torch in hand I heated and tapped them out. I beat the ball joints out with the knuckle attached. New Snap On 1/2" cordless impact makes life great again. I wore one out already in the past 4 years. The charged me a bit but did warrant it partially. Beats the pants off of that 24 volt slave cable impact I had.

cucvrus

DSCF5016.jpgDSCF5017.jpgDSCF5018.jpgDSCF5019.jpgThe bearings look good. The 4 inch lift kit steer arm is the worst part. That's gone with the scrap. I will be digging out a parts axle for the left knuckle. Just a word to the wise for M1009 owners. If you still have the original ball joints they are dry and worn out at this point. The nylon in these ball joints is crumbling and tearing. See in the pictures. They have done the job a long time. Ready to change all the tie rods and ball joints. I did the tie rods a 10 years ago before it was wrecked. I will just do them again and get it aligned. No use doing anything half assed at this point. How the finish looks depends on the start and full build. No short cuts and un needed mods on this job. Going for the original look.

cucvrus

Today I picked up 4 new stock leaf springs for my M1009.
2 DAY22 - 402 $162.50 front springs $325.00
2 DAY22 - 403 $177.92 rear springs $355.84
$680.84 total
I have the U bolts, Front & Rear Spring plates are powder coated, new shackles front and rear, all new bushings, bolts. Pictures later. At 95* I opted to stay inside and work. I will go out later and clean/paint my front axle. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

DSCF5020.jpgDSCF5021.jpgDSCF5022.jpgDSCF5023.jpgDSCF5024.jpgDSCF5025.jpgAt 1630 today it was 104* out in the sun according to the thermometer on the barn. I stayed in and cleaned parts. I ventured out to take one rotor/ hub apart and cleaned up the knuckles a bit. I went out for a ride and came back called it quits. New springs and my outside work bench. Tomorrow I will clean a few more parts and paint some if the mood hits me. I must make a trip to the parts store I have a long list of smalls I need to pick up. Ball joints, seals, tie rod ends, drag links. A little at a time. No heads today did not make it that far. Time to sit in the A/C and watch some TV. Have a Great Day. Use your time wisely like money it is very limited and hard to come by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks