• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

ke6axc

As a a
View attachment 731906View attachment 731907View attachment 731908View attachment 731909The bearings look good. The 4 inch lift kit steer arm is the worst part. That's gone with the scrap. I will be digging out a parts axle for the left knuckle. Just a word to the wise for M1009 owners. If you still have the original ball joints they are dry and worn out at this point. The nylon in these ball joints is crumbling and tearing. See in the pictures. They have done the job a long time. Ready to change all the tie rods and ball joints. I did the tie rods a 10 years ago before it was wrecked. I will just do them again and get it aligned. No use doing anything half assed at this point. How the finish looks depends on the start and full build. No short cuts and un needed mods on this job. Going for the original look.
Swsz as a
Www www poop

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

DSCF5026.jpgDSCF5027.jpgDSCF5028.jpgDSCF5029.jpgDSCF5030.jpgDSCF5031.jpgDSCF5032.jpgDSCF5033.jpgI picked up the 6.2 heads today. All new valves , springs , keepers, pre chambers. It only cost a few dollars more to do them right. A little hard to change things when they are back on the engine. Do it right the first time. It's a simple task. Still need to work on my axle but wanted to get my vendors paid and pick up my parts. I hope to have an axle done soon. Today was a late day at my full time job. 12 hour shift. Tired and resting till tomorrow again. May knock out some ball joints tomorrow and get my front axle sent out for axle seals. Not worth the hassle and unknowing the correct gear settings I will pay to have them done. Easier now that the axle is torn down. Less labor. Have a Great Day. I hope you friends get the parts I sent out to you. Let's hear some feedback on the parts.

cucvrus

Well if you are old enough to know this saying you know how I feel today.

"Time to make the Donuts" I had my entire house remodeled completely back in 2004. Today the spigot outside was leaking. I said to my wife no problem. Rick the plumber at your service. I went in the basement and dug all the insulation out and looked for the pipe. NO pipe. Went back out and looked at the spigot. It is a long horizontal frost resistant spigot. I then measured and went back in. The spigot is hooked into the kitchen sink by non other then PEX plumbing as is the entire house heating and all. I then went back out removed the handle and the fitting behind the handle. I seen a Teflon/nylon packing behind the cap. Removed it went to the hardware store and purchased some oakum/graphite packing cord. Packed the spigot stem area as tight as I could and put the spigot back together. JOY. I know many of us go wild and do a lot more then we must to get a job done. I relished the thought that I was successful even in the pouring rain. Now I need to put the insulation back in the wall and get cleaning up the mess I made. Poor planning and not looking at the easiest way to get positive results has cost me a lot of effort and time. The Cat is still looking under the sink at my job. And the Wife thanked me for pulling out 100 different types of cleaners and now she must put them all away. Win 1 loose 2. All is well. I will retreat to the barn and tear the 6.2 diesel engine apart. Nothing like a strip show in the barn. Real country thing to do.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhhhh, plumbing...... persistence gets the job done....PEX is good in many applications, not all.....congrats on the repair. Maybe I should work on my M1009? Lol

cucvrus

DSCF5034.jpgDSCF5035.jpgDSCF5036.jpgDSCF5037.jpgDSCF5038.jpgDSCF5039.jpgDSCF5040.jpgDSCF5041.jpgDSCF5042.jpgDSCF5043.jpgI kept busy despite the rainy weather. I was able to get a lot of dirty work done while it was in the low 70's. I was happy with what I found. The head gaskets looked good but I would never have known unless I looked. Very little moisture issues.

cucvrus

DSCF5044.jpgDSCF5045.jpgDSCF5046.jpgDSCF5047.jpgDSCF5048.jpgI made up a box to keep the push rods and rockers in order. I wash them 1 at a time so I will be able to retain the order. The head gaskets looked good. But after setting 10 years I didn't know that. I owned this m1009 since 1995. It has 3300 miles on it when I purchased it. DSCF5044.jpgDSCF5045.jpgDSCF5046.jpgDSCF5047.jpgDSCF5048.jpg

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF5054.jpgDSCF5055.jpgDSCF5056.jpgDSCF5057.jpgDSCF5058.jpgI removed the harmonic balancer. I know this is always a hot topic. But I will put it back on the engine again. I see no point in tossing it away as scrap. It still works fine and I see nothing to indicate anything different. Just another item to needlessly replace. Now the fuel pump. Definitely am replacing that. The water pump will be replaced also. Not sure on the rear main seal I replaced that 10 years ago. It is NOT leaking. The head bolts are all in the scrap bin already. Torque to yield and then toss them away when you remove them. DSCF5059.jpgDSCF5060.jpgDSCF5061.jpgDSCF5062.jpgDSCF5063.jpgAfter I was done stripping the top side I flipped the engine upside down and removed the oil pan. Cleaned up the mess and covered the engine and tucked it in for a while. Moved onto the axle pile to salvage a left knuckle with a stock steering arm. That was easy. I still have a complete 4" lift kit for an M1009. Every part. I will never use it.

cucvrus

DSCF5067.jpgDSCF5066.jpgDSCF5065.jpgDSCF5064.jpgDSCF5068.jpgDSCF5069.jpgThat was easy. That 1/2" Snap On cordless is one handy tool. Knocked out 6 ball joints in 10 minutes. Now I must get a long list of parts together and head for the parts store. I will l leave all brand names anonymous to avoid and controversy and bashing about whos is better, where the parts are made and why it is better because it is made there. You know what I mean. My shoes fit I wear them. Same as parts. Most/all parts are made to a standard. I trust most things I buy or I would NOT buy them. I have a new Harrison GM original plastic and aluminum radiator for this build. I like it. It fits and does the job. It cools the engine. Done. Have a Great Day. Saving money already with the parts I don't have to replace. But the big parts are expensive and I bought them so I will use them. Springs, Heads, and radiator. Thanks for watching.

cucvrus

Cleaning up a lot of parts from the front and rear axles. Parts washer is very helpful. Beats the pants off the old gas and a rag method. I spent Sunday driving back and forth twice from Gilberton after heading to a car show and buying some things. 2 trips up and 2 trips back. Ate up the day. Like a horse I should wear blinders when driving back country roads. Founds some real deals along them back roads. Spent last night mowing grass and digging a rust free M1028 cab out of the back of my barn. Been sitting back there since 1995. Still looks like the day I set it in there. Just a bit dustier and full of things I wish I knew I had over the years. Also found some things I didn't know I saved and a few things that I wondered why I saved. Made a lot of piles. The best pile was a truck load of cardboard boxes and a big pile of scrap metal. Many things I saved like GM truck power door and power rear gate regulators are not eating anything but are not worth the room they take up. Old leaf springs nice heavy scrap weight. But the cab is clearly visible now and Little Red Riding Hood M1009 is accessible again. Needs a ride outside again. Take Care and have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Oh yea. Never did make it to the Gilberton car show. It was on the same fair grounds the MV show is on. Like usual probably didn't miss much. Day Tripper turned into an all day tripper. Breakfast at Denny's and a late day meal at a family diner. 1 roll back loaded with goods and a tow bar full. A unloaded at a friends place.

cucvrus

DSCF5070.jpgDSCF5071.jpgDSCF5072.jpgDSCF5073.jpgDSCF5074.jpgDSCF5075.jpgDSCF5076.jpgDSCF5077.jpgDSCF5078.jpgDSCF5079.jpgI started digging and rearranging hundreds of parts and one of my M1009's I have stashed in the barn and I was able to access the 1986 M1028 cab that I have had stored in my barn since 1995. All in excellent rust free condition and ready to be rehomed. Check out the floor and cab corners. A few minor dents on the cab. Nothing that can't be worked out easily. No rust not even close. Happy to get it out and repurposed. I will get it out in the sunlight and get some pictures of it. Not bad for 23 years on a wooden barn floor out of the weather.

corvette9

Just let me know when, Then I'll plan a ride down with my son. I going to start stripping the sheet metal off my project K30 in the morning.

Brian G.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 732848View attachment 732849View attachment 732850View attachment 732851View attachment 732852View attachment 732853View attachment 732854View attachment 732855View attachment 732857View attachment 732858I started digging and rearranging hundreds of parts and one of my M1009's I have stashed in the barn and I was able to access the 1986 M1028 cab that I have had stored in my barn since 1995. All in excellent rust free condition and ready to be rehomed. Check out the floor and cab corners. A few minor dents on the cab. Nothing that can't be worked out easily. No rust not even close. Happy to get it out and repurposed. I will get it out in the sunlight and get some pictures of it. Not bad for 23 years on a wooden barn floor out of the weather.
Wow, that's great! Kinda makes me jealous...

cucvrus

Just let me know when, Then I'll plan a ride down with my son. I going to start stripping the sheet metal off my project K30 in the morning.

Brian G.
Brian G. Lets make a plan for 2 weeks from today. How about Saturday July 14, 2018. I work 0500-1100 that day but will be right home. Work for you? I will post some pictures. I still have the Red Riding Hood M1009 to get out of the barn. I picked up 2 batteries for that. It is blocking the cab in the back.

cucvrus

NO> I have another one I have been storing to do that cut on. I am excited about doing it. But first things first. I will document the build when that comes up. Right now I am slower then I used to be. I have to get some surgery to my finger on Monday and that will cut into my build time. Nothing major but still need to slack off a week or so. Getting older just trying to keep up with old times. Have a Great Day. I am going home to smoke some meat and work outside in the 100* weather. I like it either way. Hot or Cold. Life.

cucvrus

DSCF5082.jpgDSCF5083.jpgWas out cleaning some brake, axle parts and My youngest Son stopped by with his BMW. He has 97K miles on that bike. I can hardy believe it. Single cylinder engine and runs perfect. Well I have lunch on the grille and wanted to post an update for my followers. I will post more progress later. My Son needed the windshield cleaned it was all hazy/dull and I showed him light rubbing compound. I started doing it and left him finish. He was doubtful now he is a believer. Have Great Day. The BMW is a 2003 so it has had a few years to get that mileage. But I am impressed with it. All original but tires and brakes.

cucvrus

DSCF5084.jpgDSCF5085.jpgDSCF5086.jpgDSCF5087.jpgDSCF5088.jpgMid day progress report. Rear axle is completely back together. All new seals and gasket. I am going to keep the OEM e brake cables. The adjustment one has a slight twist in the adjustment end. Not sure how that happens. I had help taking the rear out and I think my helper used the impact to remove the tension nut. No worries. I will re-tension it and all will be well. As I always say. Never use the lock pin bolt. All new seals, lock bolt, gasket and oil is about $30. Spray paint and time to thoroughly clean everything is priceless. DSCF5093.jpgDSCF5092.jpgDSCF5091.jpgDSCF5090.jpgDSCF5089.jpgWell. Time to go back out. 104* in the sun at the barn. I still like it. I have a front axle to clean and get ready to leave for inner axle seals. Next week I will get the 4 ball joints. Every little bit is progress. I am multi tasking a lot at the moment. Have a Great Day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks