• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 CUCV M1009 Decade after being wrecked.

cucvrus

DSCF5106.jpgThe rear axle is all ready to go. The front axle is ready to go get the seals changed. I used a half moon piece of tin nailed to a stick to clean the dirt from the axles. That and a shop vacuum work well.DSCF5105.jpgThat is a very poor design. They should have seals out at the ends of the axle tubes just for the mud and crud. Done for the day. Side tracked on lawn tractors and mowing grass. Tired and in for the night. The A/C feels great. More progress later. Have a Great evening.

Attachments

cucvrus

My jobs for the day were various and vast. Cook Bacon at 0800. Do a wrecker call for a 3 car accident, Mow grass till 12 noon and then start the smoker cooker up for a couple racks of ribs. While they are cooking I am going to clean the transmission from the truck to get it ready before it gets rebuilt. Always something to do. I have to get it done. I am gooing to be incapacitated for a day or 2 after an operation on my hand tomorrow. Have a Great Day. I will post pictures of the clean transmission. DSCF5108.jpgMMMMM Bacon. DSCF5109.jpgDSCF5110.jpgBefore cleaning. Not bad considering I bought this M1009 in 1995 with 3300 miles on it. It has about 94K on iy now. I just don't trust rebuilding a truck frame up and putting a 33 year old transmission in it. Not worth my time. Do it right or don't do it.

Merddin

I love bacon! Just got my parents to pick me up 5 lbs of dry cured bacon from a meat shop in the hills of SE Missouri. Some of the best I've had and it's under $4/ lb.

cucvrus

DSCF5111.jpgDSCF5112.jpgDSCF5113.jpgDSCF5115.jpgDSCF5116.jpgDSCF5117.jpgDSCF5118.jpgDSCF5119.jpgDSCF5114.jpgEverything is cleaned up and ready to go get rebuilt, resealed. The trick is Dawn dish soap and the pressure washer along with a stainless steel brush and a scotch bright. Takes determination and patience as well. When I get it back I will paint it with dull aluminum Krylon and it will look perfect. Have a Great Day. At 100* I am retiring to the house.

cucvrus

DSCF4995.jpgDSCF4993.jpgDSCF4994.jpgAfter today I an CUCV less. That is drivable CUCV. And in this heat I am OK with that. I used the Crown of Thorns M1009 to clean out a garage today and had a load of aluminum and vinyl framed storm windows and doors. I backed it out to the road with a sign attached free scrap aluminum. Please take it all. It is Free. In half an hour it was gone. I was down for a few hours today recovering from surgery on my fingers. Had some scrap metal splinters removed. Dr said it would take a few weeks to heal. It must be a liability thing. But after the trailer was empty I turned the M1009 around and hung the For Sale sign on it 2 calls. And the second call the guy took it for a ride and it was SOLD. That was just to easy. I sold it as is where is and ask if I could clean my gear out of it. Guy was happy and I was mixed feelings but thinking 3 more months a brand new Chevy Silverado. At 98* the test ride was like a trip trough the powder coater oven. I like my CUCV's but the thrill is gone and now it just looks like work. Maybe the heat made me do it. But I sold a lot of vehicles in the last year and am liking the reduction in insurance and maintenance. Have a great day. I have 3 more M1009's to build and sell. I think I want to keep my convertible I am going to build. Have a Great Day. Tomorrow Red Riding hood M1009 will be out and running. If it don't rain. I am mixed about washing it when it is out and then putting it back in. Any feedback on that? It has been inside in the dry 20 years apart. I may be adding the element of rust.

2deuce

The last M1009 I sold I probably sold too cheap. 1st guy that came out crawled over it like forever. I told him there was nothing wrong with it, and no rust. It was like I was hiding something. Maybe he was just in the looking stage and not intending to buy, just a tire kicker, but I had it so cheap he couldn't leave it. I don't know where the market is on a CUCV anymore. It probably varies a lot on what part of the country you live. You being on the opposite coast I'm sure makes a difference.

cucvrus

DSCF5121.jpgDSCF5120.jpgAs I was cleaning up to move out some parts and vehicles I found the front axle backing plates that I mislaid a few weeks back. These are for one of my current builds. I strapped them on the scooter and ran them up the road to the sand blaster. They will look good sprayed gold and black like they were when new. Time will tell. I have a rear axle to get in out of the weather and a lot of other work to do. Starting anew thread today. M1009 Little Red riding hood.

cucvrus

DSCF5129.jpgDSCF5130.jpgDSCF5131.jpgDSCF5132.jpgAnother day of side tracked jobs. But I was able to get my garage floor open enough to start working on my M1009 frame. Like getting the rear axle in the frame looks like the first thing I will do. I did manage to finish a repaint on my finish mower. DSCF5154.jpgDSCF5155.jpgDSCF5156.jpgDSCF5157.jpgThen I was able to access the M1009 frame. DSCF5158.jpgDSCF5159.jpgHave a Great Day.

dougco1

View attachment 733669View attachment 733670View attachment 733671View attachment 733672Another day of side tracked jobs. But I was able to get my garage floor open enough to start working on my M1009 frame. Like getting the rear axle in the frame looks like the first thing I will do. I did manage to finish a repaint on my finish mower. View attachment 733673View attachment 733674View attachment 733675View attachment 733676Then I was able to access the M1009 frame. View attachment 733677View attachment 733678Have a Great Day.
Kubota orange on a Land Pride mower? Is that allowed? Will Kubota sue for patent infringements?

Patent infringement is the commission of a prohibited act with respect to a patented invention without permission from the patent holder

Last edited:

cucvrus

If they do they are SOL. I have the mower up For Sale and it was the only paint I had at the moment. A Camo mower deck would have been stranger. And the yellow/beige that Land Pride sells is expensive. I helped the environment. I repurposed left over paint.

cucvrus

DSCF5204.jpgI installed the front ball joints. What kind? the kind that fit. They have grease fittings and I had them stashed for many years, They are new and look great. I am waiting to get my transmission and front axle back from getting the inner seals in the front axle and the transmission rebuilt. I am going to start rolling on the frame as soon as I get caught up with my big parts sales. Have a Great Day. If I get one thing completed each day on one project I am getting some where. Good to have 2 hands back again.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 733968I installed the front ball joints. What kind? the kind that fit. They have grease fittings and I had them stashed for many years, They are new and look great. I am waiting to get my transmission and front axle back from getting the inner seals in the front axle and the transmission rebuilt. I am going to start rolling on the frame as soon as I get caught up with my big parts sales. Have a Great Day. If I get one thing completed each day on one project I am getting some where. Good to have 2 hands back again.

How does one eat an elephant?? One small bite at a time....... consistency, effort, and ability equals success

cucvrus

DSCF5209.jpgDSCF5208.jpgDSCF5207.jpgDSCF5206.jpgDSCF5205.jpgI took a few more bites out of the elephant again tonight. I set my leaf springs out and accounted for all the parts. I am going to get new U bolts. I think it is a wise choice. I have all the other hardware and shackles new. What will it hurt to get the 8 new U bolts? Do it right the first time and never look back. DONE. I also painted the knuckles with the new ball joints. Now an axle and transmission would be great. I also have all the frame plumbing to reattach and all the brackets. I am going to color code all the metal tubing/lines on the frame. Why? Because I can at this point. They need painted anyway. Make it look nice. Have a Great Day. Tomorrow is a day for family. No report.

cucvrus

DSCF5233.jpgDSCF5232.jpgI added 2 more Chevrolet truck tailgates to the barn today. No harm was done to any of them. I removed all the hardware from the CUCV gate to lighten it up. Looks nice. Have a Great Week.

cucvrus

DSCF5236.jpgDSCF5235.jpgDSCF5234.jpgDSCF5238.jpgDSCF5239.jpgDSCF5240.jpgPicked up my front axle backing plates from the sand blaster. Easy job that $20. took care of. I can hardly imagine getting these results with sand paper and a wire brush. DSCF5121.jpgThat's what they used to look like. Have a Great Day. As long as I get just 1 thing done each day. I have a successful day.

cucvrus

DSCF5247.jpgDSCF5249.jpgDSCF5250.jpgDSCF5251.jpgI went and bought new U bolts. The ones that came with the new springs were not correct. They were for a 1 ton truck. The new 1 ton U bolts were not returnable. Oh well. I started assembly just to get something completed today. I formed new rear axle piping for the brakes. I did it by hand with standard GM brake tubing that comes in coils. I had it for years. I am down to my last few feet. They make more. Road trip tomorrow after work. CUCV delivery. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

cucvrus

DSCF5271.jpgDSCF5272.jpgDSCF5273.jpgDSCF5274.jpgDSCF5275.jpgDSCF5276.jpgDSCF5277.jpgDSCF5278.jpgAfter a week of flooding and not mowing grass. I started out the evening cutting grass and it started raining. Once I get motivated I have to keep going. No transmission or front axle yet. Too busy to check on the status and always have something else to do. Bought a ton of new parts this week. So I thought why not start on the body. The left rear 1/4 needed fixed, the left door is slightly dented and both rockers need attention the left is dented and the right is rusty. So I will get working on them. The left will get pulled out and the right rocker replaced. Also after looking over the body I have decided to just do an entire repaint. It has a lot of minor scratches and will make the entire project pop. It is a shame it has nice color and the paint is great but to many little spots that bother me. Do it right or don't even do it. My cart is handy but the harbor freight wheels and tires were not up for the job. I am going to strip the interior out and remove the doors. Why not? Have a Great Day. Still raining outside a bit. Tomorrow it is grass mowing again and then some CUCV work. Lots of room in my barn now. I just moved out a lot of parts. Big parts. I have the fenders and hood already to put on this M1009. But I still have a bare frame with everything removed. lots of work once I get more parts cleaned , rebuilt , and painted. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

DSCF5279.jpgDSCF5280.jpgDSCF5281.jpgDSCF5282.jpgDSCF5283.jpgDSCF5284.jpgDSCF5285.jpgDSCF5286.jpgToday I started at 0500 at my regular job and was home at 1100. I mowed grass got about 3/4 of that done and then worked on my m1009 project. I did get some help to remove the seats and the windshield. I was happy with what I found. Brazed the patch on the left rear 1/4 panel and brazed a tab on the left rocker and pulled it with a slide hammer. Old school style. Poor boy on a tight budget type. I gutted the interior and all the seat belts just to access the work area. Looks great. That dash pad is beautiful not a crack in it. Moving right along. Tomorrow I want to get cleaned up. The Wife was nice and washed my Silverado and cleaned all the windows. I cleaned the garage and the CUCV M1009 out. Time to rest a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks